1991 Geo Prizm Consumer Review: Never Underestimate the Prizm

1991 Geo Prizm - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Never Underestimate the Prizm
By fiddlinpickler on

1991 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I got "Marie" from my grandma my senior year of college in 2009 with 40k miles. After sitting for 2 years it started right up after being jumped. All Marie needed was a battery, dist cap & tires. Did the driver axle at 50k. Drove from Cleveland to Denver with my life inside - she didn't miss a beat. Did the exhaust at 55k, timing belt, h20 pump and radiator at 70k and passenger axle at 75k. Maintenance + Repairs averaged $80/mo. Great in the elements. One icy morning I got rear ended while sitting at a stop light by a 02 Outback Wagon going 25mph. Outback suffered massive damage and was totaled. Marie drove away with a busted taillight. Her bumper sticker says "Now Salvaged Subaru was Here".

mpg, reliability, basic design, inexpensive parts, easy to work on, infrequent maintenance, steel is real

more horses, sound insulation
By guts_glory_ram
on 07/02/12 19:51 PM (PDT)

wow sounds like your little Geo Prizm has really gone through allot! how many miles does it have now? You can really trust anything with the an engine built by Toyota though! I agree that the road noise is excessive and it seems that there was no effort on Toyota's behalf or Geo's behalf to shush it. But that a 1991 and this is now... 20 years later and most almost every Geo Prizm built in 1991 (that hasn't been wrecked) is still out there. I can count on my Geo Prizm like i can count on my next heart beat! Haha LONG LIVE GEO!!!