Used 1991 Geo Prizm Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Geo Prizm Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Never Underestimate the Prizm
By fiddlinpickler

1991 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got "Marie" from my grandma my senior year of college in 2009 with 40k miles. After sitting for 2 years it started right up after being jumped. All Marie needed was a battery, dist cap & tires. Did the driver axle at 50k. Drove from Cleveland to Denver with my life inside - she didn't miss a beat. Did the exhaust at 55k, timing belt, h20 pump and radiator at 70k and passenger axle at 75k. Maintenance + Repairs averaged $80/mo. Great in the elements. One icy morning I got rear ended while sitting at a stop light by a 02 Outback Wagon going 25mph. Outback suffered massive damage and was totaled. Marie drove away with a busted taillight. Her bumper sticker says "Now Salvaged Subaru was Here".

mpg, reliability, basic design, inexpensive parts, easy to work on, infrequent maintenance, steel is real

more horses, sound insulation

Almost a quarter million miles
By chuck

1991 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used from sister in law in 2002. Have put very little maintenance into it but it seems like the engine will run forever, never fails even in cold desmoines winters. Great gas mileage, only thing is need to replace exhaust pipes cat converter, just can't seem to justify getting a newer car when this keeps going and going, I love my geo!

Gas mileage, reliability, low cost to maintain.

Inside door latches tend to crack, wish it had more power, not so good for long trips.

wonderful first car
By care

1991 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought a new care today, so it's time to leave my review of my faithful Geo Prism (nicknamed "Chloe"). I bought this car 3 years ago, and it was simply a wonderful 1st car. It gets amazing gas mil. and handles well. It never once broke down on me, and there's 150,000 miles on it now. I got new tires for it so it actually handles well in winter weather now. It's roomy. It's cute (if you dig the boxy car look). Never had to replace breaks. The only thing that went wrong was the coolant system. The engine overheats in the summer unless you put the heat on. It can be fixed with an electric fan or something, but I was too lazy to get that done. :o)

great gas mileage! heats up fast! handles well. low maitenence.

air conditioner may break. door handles may snap off in winter (and keys may get stuck!)

I wish it would die....
By woozle

1991 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

...so I can buy a new car. Have had car for 10 years and it has been excellent automobile. Only major repair was cracked exhaust manifold (common problem from what I understand.) I want to get a new car, but can't justify selling geo.

Reliability, durability, low cost.

More power. Must turn off the AC when getting on the hiway.

very happy
By Rachel Ofallon

1991 Geo Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car for 8 11 years now and I am very pleased. No major problems and very good gas milage. Wish it was more stylish.

gas milage, reliable

wish it was faster and better looking

• SUV