Used 1991 Geo Prizm Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Geo Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Never Underestimate the Prizm
By fiddlinpickler

1991 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I got "Marie" from my grandma my senior year of college in 2009 with 40k miles. After sitting for 2 years it started right up after being jumped. All Marie needed was a battery, dist cap & tires. Did the driver axle at 50k. Drove from Cleveland to Denver with my life inside - she didn't miss a beat. Did the exhaust at 55k, timing belt, h20 pump and radiator at 70k and passenger axle at 75k. Maintenance + Repairs averaged $80/mo. Great in the elements. One icy morning I got rear ended while sitting at a stop light by a 02 Outback Wagon going 25mph. Outback suffered massive damage and was totaled. Marie drove away with a busted taillight. Her bumper sticker says "Now Salvaged Subaru was Here".

Favorite Features

mpg, reliability, basic design, inexpensive parts, easy to work on, infrequent maintenance, steel is real

Suggested Improvements

more horses, sound insulation

Almost a quarter million miles
By chuck

1991 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used from sister in law in 2002. Have put very little maintenance into it but it seems like the engine will run forever, never fails even in cold desmoines winters. Great gas mileage, only thing is need to replace exhaust pipes cat converter, just can't seem to justify getting a newer car when this keeps going and going, I love my geo!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability, low cost to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

Inside door latches tend to crack, wish it had more power, not so good for long trips.

Good enough, but not great.
By raybo

1991 Geo Prizm GSi 4dr Sedan

I had this car for over 3 years until I decided that I had enough of taking it to the garage. I bought my Prism when it was 7 years old with 79,000 miles. When I got rid of it, it had 133,000 miles on it. Right away, the exhaust needed to be replaced. Then I had a stream of minor to moderate repairs to be made during the 3 year period including replacing the ignition, starter, and radiator. Also, from day one the rear view deforosters never worked. Towards the end I had a few too many minor problems. The car made far too many creaks & squeaks while on the road. I also felt too much like I was in a tin can. I guess I expected more from a Toyota twin.

Favorite Features

Cute styling. It was actually quite roomy for a small car. Powertrain seemed to be bullet-proof.

Suggested Improvements

Body quality. I guess that's common with Japanese cars. On a windy day, you felt like you were about to go into orbit.

good car
By prizm

1991 Geo Prizm 4dr Hatchback

great car.Thankful that toyota made it and Geo just rebadged it as a chevy.the best Gm product you can buy.have 180000 miles and still running

Favorite Features

gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

none gm should keep using toyota vehicles. It will give them good reliability

The Phatty G-Ride
By The Planet

1991 Geo Prizm GSi 4dr Sedan

This is quite possibly the greatest car ever built. It handles like a Porsche, and has the sophistication of a Crown Vic. I will continue to buy these cars for the rest of my life, even if they are now made by Chevy. I do wish that Geo was still around, because there is much pride beaming from the faces of Geo owners when they look at their grill and see that geodesic-esque symbol that sreams, "Hey look at me! I am QUALITY!"

Favorite Features

The best part about my Geo Prizm is that I have turbo boosters when I turn my air conditioning off. You see, if I need to get out of somewhere in a hurry, I simply just turn off my A/C and I fly out of there like a bat out of hell.

Suggested Improvements

BRING BACK THE PRIDE OF GEO!!!