1991 Geo Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Never Underestimate the Prizm
By fiddlinpickler on 06/07/12 20:23 PM (PDT)

1991 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I got "Marie" from my grandma my senior year of college in 2009 with 40k miles. After sitting for 2 years it started right up after being jumped. All Marie needed was a battery, dist cap & tires. Did the driver axle at 50k. Drove from Cleveland to Denver with my life inside - she didn't miss a beat. Did the exhaust at 55k, timing belt, h20 pump and radiator at 70k and passenger axle at 75k. Maintenance + Repairs averaged $80/mo. Great in the elements. One icy morning I got rear ended while sitting at a stop light by a 02 Outback Wagon going 25mph. Outback suffered massive damage and was totaled. Marie drove away with a busted taillight. Her bumper sticker says "Now Salvaged Subaru was Here".

Almost a quarter million miles
By chuck on 01/31/08 11:05 AM (PST)

1991 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used from sister in law in 2002. Have put very little maintenance into it but it seems like the engine will run forever, never fails even in cold desmoines winters. Great gas mileage, only thing is need to replace exhaust pipes cat converter, just can't seem to justify getting a newer car when this keeps going and going, I love my geo!

Good enough, but not great.
By raybo on 01/11/07 13:06 PM (PST)

1991 Geo Prizm GSi 4dr Sedan

I had this car for over 3 years until I decided that I had enough of taking it to the garage. I bought my Prism when it was 7 years old with 79,000 miles. When I got rid of it, it had 133,000 miles on it. Right away, the exhaust needed to be replaced. Then I had a stream of minor to moderate repairs to be made during the 3 year period including replacing the ignition, starter, and radiator. Also, from day one the rear view deforosters never worked. Towards the end I had a few too many minor problems. The car made far too many creaks & squeaks while on the road. I also felt too much like I was in a tin can. I guess I expected more from a Toyota twin.

good car
By prizm on 07/28/05 19:48 PM (PDT)

1991 Geo Prizm 4dr Hatchback

great car.Thankful that toyota made it and Geo just rebadged it as a chevy.the best Gm product you can buy.have 180000 miles and still running

The Phatty G-Ride
By The Planet on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Geo Prizm GSi 4dr Sedan

This is quite possibly the greatest car ever built. It handles like a Porsche, and has the sophistication of a Crown Vic. I will continue to buy these cars for the rest of my life, even if they are now made by Chevy. I do wish that Geo was still around, because there is much pride beaming from the faces of Geo owners when they look at their grill and see that geodesic-esque symbol that sreams, "Hey look at me! I am QUALITY!"

wonderful first car
By care on 02/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought a new care today, so it's time to leave my review of my faithful Geo Prism (nicknamed "Chloe"). I bought this car 3 years ago, and it was simply a wonderful 1st car. It gets amazing gas mil. and handles well. It never once broke down on me, and there's 150,000 miles on it now. I got new tires for it so it actually handles well in winter weather now. It's roomy. It's cute (if you dig the boxy car look). Never had to replace breaks. The only thing that went wrong was the coolant system. The engine overheats in the summer unless you put the heat on. It can be fixed with an electric fan or something, but I was too lazy to get that done. :o)

geo prizm LSI
By Glenna on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Geo Prizm GSi 4dr Sedan

Purchased new 12 years ago. Enjoyable to drive and comfortable for all. New transmission put in a year ago, and recently painted. Defective rear defogger. Better traction needed for snowy weather. Car damaged in 2 auto accidents, fully repaired, performance not affected. Good tires, good care, reliable.

Rating 1991 geo Prism GSI
By Pat on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Geo Prizm GSi 4dr Sedan

Terrific car! No problems, just normal maintenance. Runs like a top and has plenty of power. Handles extremely well. Just keeps going and going.

I wish it would die....
By woozle on 03/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

...so I can buy a new car. Have had car for 10 years and it has been excellent automobile. Only major repair was cracked exhaust manifold (common problem from what I understand.) I want to get a new car, but can't justify selling geo.

very happy
By Rachel Ofallon on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car for 8 11 years now and I am very pleased. No major problems and very good gas milage. Wish it was more stylish.