1990 Geo Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Take care of it and it will last a long time.
By carol97 on 03/01/14 06:16 AM (PST)

1990 Geo Prizm 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car used in 2012. It was in bad shape when I got it due to prior owners neglect. I put a lot of work into it a little at a time. I wanted an older car I could fix up. New windshield, new brakes, new thermostat (wasn't heating up the interior of car). interior door knobs, new battery, new starter, new serpentine belt, the radiator hose had a leak but I got that fixed right away. The headlights were the old type, so I upgraded to the best bulbs on the market. The bulbs were 50 bucks each, and well worth it. It runs great now, and haven't had anymore problems with it. It is a basic car with NO computer stuff. It gets me from 'point' A to B, and I don't have a car payment.

It's 23 years old, can't be too mean...
By kenwid1988 on 12/24/12 08:56 AM (PST)

1990 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 2010 for $1,000. It is thee most basic thing on the block. The only upgrade it has is it being automatic, oh and it having A/C. This poor thing has been used and abused. It has 244K miles on it. Whines like a 5 year old. But all and all, if you want to buy something that will get you to school, has nothing on it, and does not want performance, then this is for you. They are very cheap to buy. And it has Toyota parts. Good car to have if you really want to down size.

The best car purchase EVER! Still going.
By bethlgrace on 05/29/10 01:16 AM (PDT)

1990 Geo Prizm GSi 4dr Sedan

When I first bought it I was grateful that my drivers' door worked and that my car has AC, and 3 years later and real minor work done, it is still going strong and I thank GOD for that. Fuel Economy is really good and I have replaced the tires once and the windshield once and need to do it again. Utah debris on the roads is horrible. The AC still going strong, radio could be better, my car is an automatic, wish I had a stick, but oh well. My car now has 93,500 miles or so. I try to take good care of her. She gets me to work and home and not to forget from Oregon to Utah and maybe back again.

Best Car I've ever had
By Mark on 11/25/08 19:57 PM (PST)

1990 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

My dad sold me this in 1997 and it's now 2008 and the car is still running great. Yes, it has needed new radiator, battery, etc but the drivetrain has been great. Highway mileage is about 40 mpg, city (San Francisco, CA) about 22. I have 199,200 miles on it. It's got rust on it (car was in Michigan from 90-2001) but the rust slowed down after moving to CA. Knock on wood but I'm hoping this car lasts me to at least 250,000 miles.

Great Car!
By Nick on 10/02/08 15:12 PM (PDT)

1990 Geo Prizm GSi 4dr Sedan

This car has been the best investment i've ever made! It has 263,500 mi and still running strong, doesn't burn oil, starts right up, even spins the tires pretty good, all while getting great gas millage! I've only replaced the exhaust manifold (cracked), and the starter. Everything else (as far as I can tell) is still straight from the factory.

Great Car
By NSE on 05/07/08 19:58 PM (PDT)

1990 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

Over almost 12 years of service this car has never let me down. Besides going through exhaust systems every 40K miles it has never had any significant problems in almost 170K miles.

Love IT!!!
By Steve on 04/09/08 18:44 PM (PDT)

1990 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

A friend gave me this car almost two years ago. It has never let me down. A/C quit for no reason I know of, perfect one day and now nothing happens, may be a fuse or relay. Burns no oil, but has a few leaks. Rides well and is quiet. Original engine, clutch, and transmission at 222,000 miles. Gets 33 to 40 mpg in mixed driving. I love it and hope it never dies. I have had brand new cars I have not liked this much!

GREAT LITTLE CAR
By greatlittlecar on 12/30/07 15:21 PM (PST)

1990 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

When I married my wife 11 years ago, she owned a 1990 geo prism. We later learned it had been previously wrecked. About two years ago (2005) I was rear-ended in it. The insurance company totaled it out, but we bought it back and repaired it. The only problem I have with this car is that it will not die. It now has over 306,000 miles on it and still runs great. I change oil every 10,000 and use the cheapest I can buy. I have did this since 100,000. I would like a new car but see no reason to get rid of our Geo.

Prizm good...
By matt on 04/03/07 16:43 PM (PDT)

1990 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I love this car, it's been no problem so far, and the mileage is awesome! Its' just a little 1.6 liter, but for having 152k miles on it, it drives like a champ!!

The best car I've owned in many ways
By james3363 on 05/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Geo Prizm GSi 4dr Hatchback

Great resale value, but I'd never sell it -it's too good a car to me!