Used 1990 Geo Prizm Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Geo Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Take care of it and it will last a long time.
By carol97

1990 Geo Prizm 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car used in 2012. It was in bad shape when I got it due to prior owners neglect. I put a lot of work into it a little at a time. I wanted an older car I could fix up. New windshield, new brakes, new thermostat (wasn't heating up the interior of car). interior door knobs, new battery, new starter, new serpentine belt, the radiator hose had a leak but I got that fixed right away. The headlights were the old type, so I upgraded to the best bulbs on the market. The bulbs were 50 bucks each, and well worth it. It runs great now, and haven't had anymore problems with it. It is a basic car with NO computer stuff. It gets me from 'point' A to B, and I don't have a car payment.

If you take care of it, it will last a long time. I like that it is small, and runs great now. I like manual transmission, and that it IS a BASIC car with none of that fancy computerized stuff. After all, we really don't need all that fancy computer stuff to distract us when we are driving. I have also been able to haul two 65 lb bales of Hay in it. Great gas mileage.

Only has front speakers in/under the dash. Should be designed with them in the back too. Not a lot of leg room in the back. No AC.

It's 23 years old, can't be too mean...
By kenwid1988

1990 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 2010 for $1,000. It is thee most basic thing on the block. The only upgrade it has is it being automatic, oh and it having A/C. This poor thing has been used and abused. It has 244K miles on it. Whines like a 5 year old. But all and all, if you want to buy something that will get you to school, has nothing on it, and does not want performance, then this is for you. They are very cheap to buy. And it has Toyota parts. Good car to have if you really want to down size.

It starts up...

Hehehe, you're kidding me right?

The best car purchase EVER! Still going.
By bethlgrace

1990 Geo Prizm GSi 4dr Sedan

When I first bought it I was grateful that my drivers' door worked and that my car has AC, and 3 years later and real minor work done, it is still going strong and I thank GOD for that. Fuel Economy is really good and I have replaced the tires once and the windshield once and need to do it again. Utah debris on the roads is horrible. The AC still going strong, radio could be better, my car is an automatic, wish I had a stick, but oh well. My car now has 93,500 miles or so. I try to take good care of her. She gets me to work and home and not to forget from Oregon to Utah and maybe back again.

It starts, fuel economy, my car locks and works.

Better locking system, stronger key to use in ignition, broken 3 keys in this car, I need to make a couple more. One key broke off in the door.

Best Car I've ever had
By Mark

1990 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

My dad sold me this in 1997 and it's now 2008 and the car is still running great. Yes, it has needed new radiator, battery, etc but the drivetrain has been great. Highway mileage is about 40 mpg, city (San Francisco, CA) about 22. I have 199,200 miles on it. It's got rust on it (car was in Michigan from 90-2001) but the rust slowed down after moving to CA. Knock on wood but I'm hoping this car lasts me to at least 250,000 miles.

Gas mileage, great visablity, reliablity

Better cloth ceiling (falling down), air conditioner stopped working in 2001.

Great Car!
By Nick

1990 Geo Prizm GSi 4dr Sedan

This car has been the best investment i've ever made! It has 263,500 mi and still running strong, doesn't burn oil, starts right up, even spins the tires pretty good, all while getting great gas millage! I've only replaced the exhaust manifold (cracked), and the starter. Everything else (as far as I can tell) is still straight from the factory.

Responsive, Reliability, Great Gas Mileage!

Rust, manual crank windows are hard to operate.