1997 Geo Metro Consumer Review: My Geo's Eulogy

1997 Geo Metro - Consumer Review

LSi 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

My Geo's Eulogy
By Debradley on

1997 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

Well, after 112,000 mile a bad oil leak repair finally killed her, but what a great, cheap car. Up until the last gasp, this car never broke down--I did replace an axel & had some brake work done, but for the first four years nothing but oil changes. I bought this car used with about 40000 miles on it. It was awesome on gas and you could fit a ton of stuff in the hatchback. I'm replacing her with a 2004 Hyundai accent sedan, which is safer, but I'll miss my metro. It was an automatic transmission, and I've never had to repair it. If you are on a budget and can find a clean one with > 80k miles, I say go for it.

Manual controls (window, locks), hatchback TONS of cargo space for such a small car, Excellent fuel economy, cheap & infrequent repairs. And it was a really cute design. You can also buy a kit to convert this car to electric--I'm considering keeping it and doing just that.

They don't make 'em anymore--if they're started again, The only thing I'd change is to make it a safer ride. I'm a timid, defensive driver--never wrecked in this vehicle and glad about it.