Used 1997 Geo Metro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

1997 Geo Metro

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

Very dependable
By alwarren1

1997 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

My mom bought this car in 2008 for $1500.00 withonly 30,000 miles on it, she drove it for 3 years, then gave it to me in 2010. I drove it up until March 2014 and it now has a little less than 90K miles. I have never had an expensive, deal breaking issue with it. The only real issues I have had is the headlights are very tricky and wiring kind of sucks, and on a cold -10 degree morning in Alaska, it makes squealing sounds. Other than that it has been an excellent car and very dependable and sturdy. Great gas mileage, could have probably last me another 2 years at the least.

Suggested Improvements

Only suggested improvements would be better headlight sturdiness.

Can be fun and reliable!
By jveliquette

1997 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

This is my first Geo Metro ever and to be honest i wasn't happy at first when i bought it. Although it grows on you when you get such killer gas mileage and it never breaks down on you. I have a lsi 4cyl 5-speed and i think it's pretty fun to drive and easy to repair. I would recommend this car to anyone if you can stand to not drive the most flashy thing on the streets.

The little Putt - putt
By Tasirna

1997 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought my first Geo from a friend and fell in love, now 7 years and almost 300,000 miles later it has finally started dying on me. But I love my little putt-putt so much I managed to find another one identical to her with only 100,000 miles on it. These are great little cars and I hate that they are no longer made. Geo had a great product, maybe that's why chevy bought them cause they were scared? (97 Geo Metro 4dr Sedan 1.3 L 4 cyl) and yes they made 4 cyl in 97 contrary to some car parts places.

Favorite Features

Cheap on fuel, will last forever even if not maintained well, not expansive to purchase.

Suggested Improvements

Make parts a bit easier to find and reasonably priced (I still can't find a exhaust manifold for my 4 cyl original car). Wish it had power doors and windows.

1997 geo metro
By faccipazzo

1997 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

This is a good car, if, you're fortunate enough not to get a lemon. It seems that the geo is an extremely good or extremely poor purchase. If you have one, here's some advice: Don't dog it, it's all about using your gears, I climbed Mt. Ashland at 75 mph, since it's a roller skate, the trick is momentum.

Favorite Features

gas saving potential, if, you're not lead footed and what I get out of 61 horse power, by using momentum, plus it's fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

A Surge performance chip.

Shouldn't quit making them
By faccipazzo

1997 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

This car, if you don't dog it, will pull its weight, it's all about the gearing