1997 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:
Very dependable
By alwarren1 on 03/29/14 14:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

My mom bought this car in 2008 for $1500.00 withonly 30,000 miles on it, she drove it for 3 years, then gave it to me in 2010. I drove it up until March 2014 and it now has a little less than 90K miles. I have never had an expensive, deal breaking issue with it. The only real issues I have had is the headlights are very tricky and wiring kind of sucks, and on a cold -10 degree morning in Alaska, it makes squealing sounds. Other than that it has been an excellent car and very dependable and sturdy. Great gas mileage, could have probably last me another 2 years at the least.

Can be fun and reliable!
By jveliquette on 08/26/13 16:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

This is my first Geo Metro ever and to be honest i wasn't happy at first when i bought it. Although it grows on you when you get such killer gas mileage and it never breaks down on you. I have a lsi 4cyl 5-speed and i think it's pretty fun to drive and easy to repair. I would recommend this car to anyone if you can stand to not drive the most flashy thing on the streets.

The little Putt - putt
By Tasirna on 03/16/10 15:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought my first Geo from a friend and fell in love, now 7 years and almost 300,000 miles later it has finally started dying on me. But I love my little putt-putt so much I managed to find another one identical to her with only 100,000 miles on it. These are great little cars and I hate that they are no longer made. Geo had a great product, maybe that's why chevy bought them cause they were scared? (97 Geo Metro 4dr Sedan 1.3 L 4 cyl) and yes they made 4 cyl in 97 contrary to some car parts places.

1997 geo metro
By faccipazzo on 05/12/08 22:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

This is a good car, if, you're fortunate enough not to get a lemon. It seems that the geo is an extremely good or extremely poor purchase. If you have one, here's some advice: Don't dog it, it's all about using your gears, I climbed Mt. Ashland at 75 mph, since it's a roller skate, the trick is momentum.

Shouldn't quit making them
By faccipazzo on 03/31/08 13:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

This car, if you don't dog it, will pull its weight, it's all about the gearing

1997 Geo Metro
By grace4ever on 01/07/08 05:28 AM (PST)

1997 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

Best car I ever owned. Very reliable, gas efficient and easy to maintain. Never had any major repairs - car just kept going. Chevy made a big mistake when they decided to discontinue them.

I've loved this car!
By Amy B on 10/23/06 12:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

This is the 2nd Geo Metro (Chevy Sprint) I've driven to over 200,000 miles. I've only had to do routine maintenance and this car is still running on many of the original parts, including engine and clutch. Still gets over 44 mpg. It might be the fastest or most stylish car on the road but I'd buy another in a heartbeat if they were still making them. It's ridiculous to have pay over $20,000 to get a new car that equals the fuel efficiency of this old one. What's wrong with this picture?

My Geo's Eulogy
By Debradley on 08/28/05 10:47 AM (PDT)

1997 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

Well, after 112,000 mile a bad oil leak repair finally killed her, but what a great, cheap car. Up until the last gasp, this car never broke down--I did replace an axel & had some brake work done, but for the first four years nothing but oil changes. I bought this car used with about 40000 miles on it. It was awesome on gas and you could fit a ton of stuff in the hatchback. I'm replacing her with a 2004 Hyundai accent sedan, which is safer, but I'll miss my metro. It was an automatic transmission, and I've never had to repair it. If you are on a budget and can find a clean one with > 80k miles, I say go for it.

Great car!!
By Joe Thomas on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

Unbelievable price for such a great little car!

Go Metro
By Ted Gauss on 06/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I think these little cars are the ultimate comute car. I put in 30-40K a year and they keep on going. They are a great low maintenance car. I have 142,000 miles and I've done nothing to fix this car yet. Just new plugs (twice), tires, brakes (twice). I don't even change the oil but every 3-6 mos (9k-18k miles for me) this is my 2nd hatch back but my third metro and I just bought a 2001 for $3800 w/ only 28,000 mi on it. I figure it will go at least another 100,000 miles (that's only 4 cents a mile to own) It's just too bad that chevy stopped making them. I'm currently looking for low mileage 2001 to park / store until I need them.