Gets the job done cheaply
By Rich on
1996 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback
Bought it in November 08 after going bankrupt, needed a cheap car that got great mileage to drive my 120 mile round trip to work 5-6 days a week. Paid $600 with 110k miles on it, wasn't running at the time. Previous owner was a kid who destroyed a new clutch he put in. I put in a new clutch, starter, left axle, and plugs/wires and drove it to 140k without any problems. Replaced timing belt/water pump and it now has 173k. Cost $19 to fill up for 300 miles. Been in a minor fender bender and keeps running. Can't complain for the price I paid and cost of ownership, I'd get another! It won't win any races or win any awards for looks or comfort, but it goes from A to B.
Favorite Features
Cheap to maintain. Clutch, starter, water pump, timing belt, and axle) ran ran me about $400, did the work myself. Oil changes every 4k. Ride quality is pretty good, wife and I have taken some pretty long weekend trips, 5 or 6 hours is no problem!
Suggested Improvements
Interior is a little on the cheap side but seats haven't torn after all these miles. Road noise is terrible at 65- 70mph.