Used 1996 Geo Metro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

Geo in Motion
By Gma Gave it to me

1996 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

This little Geo has over 120,000 miles on her and she is still going strong. She has just been handed down to me from my gma as my first car, and I am so excited. This car is older than I am but I know she will keep on running. I used to ride in it when I was a baby, and know I get to drive in it as a "Big Kid." I am so happy to drive the Geo In Motion. I call her GIM!!!

Fun to drive and she is still going strong.

Larger tires, and better A/C, I live in Florida and it is hot!

I like it
By ilikeit

1996 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I drive 26 miles one way to work and bought the little thing at almost a steal! With 99800 miles on it, looked good, very simple, well maintained by the previous owner, almost like new! I bought the little scamp for fuel mileage, and didnít expect much, but itís the best car Iíve bought in a long time! So far I figure it gets an honest 46 mpg (mostly highway)! Iím impressed, with one exception... hills. Eh, I can live with that for the fuel economy though! I plan to see how long this thing will last, 250000 miles? I donít see why not! Regular maintenance, a set of vent visors, and a cup holder is all it should need! Too bad they donít build em like this anymore! Guess it was too good to last!

Fuel economy and simplicity! That in itself is refreshing. Even the newer cars in its class don't do nearly as well in either catagory... too bad.

MAKE IT AGAIN! It works.

96 Metro
By Luke

1996 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with about 80,000 mi. on it just over two years ago. I now have reached 100,000 mi. and haven't found much to complain about. Haven't found much to brag about either. The car has been for the most part quite reliable. The car is a four cylinder with a three speed automatic. I was unpleasantly surprised when I found out I was only getting 30 mpg at best. I think the poor gas mileage is due to the three speed auto tranny. A four speed auto would greatly increase mpg. The only other complaints I have is the small size. I am only 5'10" and I look and feel like a giant in the car. The car is also extremely vunerable to rust. I have seen cars from the 80's with less rust than my car

I didn't have very high expectations for this car when I bought it. All I really asked for was for was it to be somewhat reliable, which it was, and get no less than 40 mpg. I could barely get 30 mpg. The poor gas mileage was really the downfall for this particular automatic geo.

If you are buying this car for the gas mileage then I strongly suggest a manual transmission. If you are buying it because you think its going to be roomy and fun to drive, then look else where. If you just want a somewhat reliable cheap car, then a geo metro is the car for you.

Bring Back the Metro
By Metroman

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I purchased this little jewel with 90000 on the odometer. It runs great and gets great gas mileage. It is low priced and long lasting. With the high cost of fuel nowadays, the Suzuki Corp and GM should rejoin forces to produce such a wonderful little car. The Car is approaching 115,000 miles a running strong, not bad for $1,500.00 investment.

Fuel economy, reliability, style and manuverability. You can park this car anywhere.

A/C standard

getting 50-MPG & then some
By dp

1996 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

Owned for < 1mth, been highly reliable, incredible mileage ranging from 44.3- 50.2 combined driving. A little noisy around town, surprisingly quiet on hwys. The 5 spd trans is smooth, however the dash mounted shift-light is annoying. The built-in headrests are uncomfortable & there's no lumbar support. Could use armrests. Plenty headroom for big hair or tall hat. Lots of rear cargo storage with seat down, (I removed bottom part of seat for a flat-fold). This 4cyl LSI came w/o AC & radio - miss them both. In summary, a great commuter car, reliable, with current MPG & gas at $3/gal it should pay for itself in about 6 mths.

GOT 50 MPG? it's MPG, MPG, MPG, voluminous rear storage. Doors & Hatch close with solid thunk. Very easy to park. Phenomenal mileage :) Easy to check/change oil & filter. Did I mention the remarkable mileage?

unfortunately no longer sold in the USA, I bet this little car would sell very well now (considering the outrageous gas prices) ... bring it back, however include the niceties of CruiseControl/PM/PW/PDL ... etc,etc,etc.