1996 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:
I like it
By ilikeit on 06/12/07 15:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I drive 26 miles one way to work and bought the little thing at almost a steal! With 99800 miles on it, looked good, very simple, well maintained by the previous owner, almost like new! I bought the little scamp for fuel mileage, and didn’t expect much, but it’s the best car I’ve bought in a long time! So far I figure it gets an honest 46 mpg (mostly highway)! I’m impressed, with one exception... hills. Eh, I can live with that for the fuel economy though! I plan to see how long this thing will last, 250000 miles? I don’t see why not! Regular maintenance, a set of vent visors, and a cup holder is all it should need! Too bad they don’t build em like this anymore! Guess it was too good to last!

96 Metro
By Luke on 02/15/07 11:34 AM (PST)

1996 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with about 80,000 mi. on it just over two years ago. I now have reached 100,000 mi. and haven't found much to complain about. Haven't found much to brag about either. The car has been for the most part quite reliable. The car is a four cylinder with a three speed automatic. I was unpleasantly surprised when I found out I was only getting 30 mpg at best. I think the poor gas mileage is due to the three speed auto tranny. A four speed auto would greatly increase mpg. The only other complaints I have is the small size. I am only 5'10" and I look and feel like a giant in the car. The car is also extremely vunerable to rust. I have seen cars from the 80's with less rust than my car

Bring Back the Metro
By Metroman on 01/14/06 14:21 PM (PST)

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I purchased this little jewel with 90000 on the odometer. It runs great and gets great gas mileage. It is low priced and long lasting. With the high cost of fuel nowadays, the Suzuki Corp and GM should rejoin forces to produce such a wonderful little car. The Car is approaching 115,000 miles a running strong, not bad for $1,500.00 investment.

getting 50-MPG & then some
By dp on 10/11/05 13:46 PM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

Owned for < 1mth, been highly reliable, incredible mileage ranging from 44.3- 50.2 combined driving. A little noisy around town, surprisingly quiet on hwys. The 5 spd trans is smooth, however the dash mounted shift-light is annoying. The built-in headrests are uncomfortable & there's no lumbar support. Could use armrests. Plenty headroom for big hair or tall hat. Lots of rear cargo storage with seat down, (I removed bottom part of seat for a flat-fold). This 4cyl LSI came w/o AC & radio - miss them both. In summary, a great commuter car, reliable, with current MPG & gas at $3/gal it should pay for itself in about 6 mths.

Geo metro in the world
By Steve Purcell on 04/06/05 12:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

The best car to own, it hugs corners on its lo pro 13 inch rims, and easily modified. My geo has an upgraded performance custom exhaust system and short shift kit. Plans to turbocharge it when time is available. Awesome care, head turner.

Geo Metro an Excellent Car
By brawny on 11/09/04 14:15 PM (PST)

1996 Geo Metro 4dr Sedan

I've put 50,177 miles on my Geo in the last 5 years. I get between 40-45 miles per gallon, depending on city or hwy. Most of my driving is a combination of the two. The only repairs I've had to make is a new muffler (the core rusted off). It's very reliable, starts up even after sitting a couple months in storage. Its easy to park, turn around in tight places, has a seperate trunk that is huge, amazing feature for this trim car. I do wish it had a rear defroster sometimes, but the heater is very adequate even in January in IL.

Just keeps going and going and going
By Susannah Brighton on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

Got the car brand new in 1996 and drove it for 8 years and 78,000 VERY hard city miles. I could have driven the car into the ground but the AC went out and it cost more to fix than the car was worth. (Someone who didn't need AC could have driven the car for five more years at a minimum.) It was a great little city car but as other vehicles got larger and larger it didn't feel as safe as it should have been. But you could park it anywhere, repair work was reasonably priced, and nobody would ever, ever want to steal it.

Could be better
By asauder on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro 4dr Sedan

My experience with this car has been poor. We burned up a transmition a week after we got it. As far as fuel- it kicks butt.

One awesome little car
By cailoisa on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought my Geo with 40,000 miles on it. I have put 20,000 more on it since. It has required nothing but standard maintenance. All part replacements are remarkably cheap. No matter what kind of driving I am in, I always get AT LEAST 32 miles per gallon, but I usually get more. It's so easy to drive, and a snap to park and make sharp turns such as u-turns.

Reliable commuter
By JohnKMiller on 06/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro 4dr Sedan

I bought my 4-door Geo Metro Sedan used in 1998. Since then, I put over 86,000 miles on it and never had to do any repairs other than standard maintenance (brake pads, tires, tune up, etc.). Although it is a small car, there is a surprizing amount of room on the interior, and the rear seats fold down for large loads. At 112K miles, I was rear-ended by a '88 Lincoln Towncar that was travelling about 20-30 mph. I have had a lot of people tell me how these cars would 'crumple like a tin can' if they were in an accident, and I was surprized how little visible damage was caused.