Used 1996 Geo Metro Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

1996 Geo Metro

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

Loved it!
By pfrey71

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Sedan

I had my Geo Metro 4 door (4 cyl) from 1996 through 1999. I loved that car! The only money I had to put into it other than regular maintenance items was a fuel pump relay ($5 part, $50 tow). I had 136,000 miles on it when it was involved in a multi-car pile up and was totalled due to it's high mileage (two days after I mailed in my final payment- UGH!). I wish I could have kept it until it died. As for safety, it was impacted four times in that accident...once by a tractor trailer, twice by an Audi, and then it hit the wall and of all six cars involved in the accident mine was the only car that was able to be driven away from the scene and I suffered no injuries. Fabulous car!

Go Geo
By Geogo

1996 Geo Metro 4dr Sedan

I have owned the car for 2 years and have put over 115K miles on it.. I have replaced nothing, and beat and abused this car and it won't break. Everything works, looks decent. Gets about 35mpg, costs $8 to fill up right now with gas being $1.75. I have changed the oil about once every 10-15K miles and it never uses any oil. Starts every time.

Reliability, price, quality

Could have a 4th gear for better interstate driving.

So Far So Good
By TSchneider

1996 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car in '04 w/ 110k on it for $1100. I now have 202k on it. I get 35-40 mpg hwy at 65 and 32 overall. MPG would be better with a stick. Replaced entire exhaust in '05 ($700). At 131k rebuilt camshaft and replaced timing belt and water pump. About a month ago I had water pump and timing belt done again ($700)w/ 200k on it. A/C and Heater blower no longer work. Brakes have been done twice ($300) per visit. Tires are $200 per set! Car still runs very smoothly and gets me anywhere I want to go.

Gas mileage, simple design, hatchback. I can park it anywhere

Cup holders would be nice. Increase size of gas tank. Holds 8 gallons and total fill-up is $30 these days.

No care that is more reliable
By GG

1996 Geo Metro 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new in 96, I drove this car 45 miles to work and back every day for years. The car logged over 260,000 miles before I gave it to my son. I even rolled the car on its side in a ditch and never had to do any major repaors other than body work. The engine and trans worked like they did they day I bought even after 260,000 miles. Amazing, great gas milage, great reliabilty, great car. If you can find one of these cars that have been taken care of I would recomend it.

Reliablity, gas milage. Great Car!!!!!!!

the interior was kind of cheap, some things broke easily.

My Geo
By walter thompson

1996 Geo Metro 4dr Sedan

My Geo Metro is fun and a good car to drive if you have a low budget like I do.

My radio.

Engine, pipe, interior and a body kit.