1996 Geo Metro Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:
?
By Marvelous Marv on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I drive to work, all freeway speeds and on the "flat". ONE WAY, BUMPER TO BUMPER. No need to pass. Zero acceleration at this speed, but more than need acceleration in town.Have air conditioning, is adequate with tinted windows to keep comfortable at 100 degrees after 10-15 minutes of cooling. Will not stay cool at idling--needs 1500-200 rpm to cool. Adequately. Added cruise control-- millage increased from 42 mpg to 45.6 mpg at 50-60 mph with this change. Nothing breaks, excellent car but VERY NOISY--have double insulated doors with Dynomat sound insulation, it helped ---now I can tell the noise is coming from the floor-- 95-98 db--OSHA action time for this amount of noise is 15 minutes.

Favorite Car no matter what Scenario
By D66M6D on 10/03/09 10:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I've had my Metro for about 5 years, with 3 years of consecutive driving. I moved from a relatively flat area to the alpine mountains, trumped by Subarus and Heavy Duty Diesels. The Geo is great! The winter conditions forced me to learn how to control my FWD car without 4WD. Fuel economy is outstanding; about 35mpg. I can put $20 in my tank and run about 2 weeks, or about 280 miles.

Loved it!
By pfrey71 on 05/14/09 11:44 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I had my Geo Metro 4 door (4 cyl) from 1996 through 1999. I loved that car! The only money I had to put into it other than regular maintenance items was a fuel pump relay ($5 part, $50 tow). I had 136,000 miles on it when it was involved in a multi-car pile up and was totalled due to it's high mileage (two days after I mailed in my final payment- UGH!). I wish I could have kept it until it died. As for safety, it was impacted four times in that accident...once by a tractor trailer, twice by an Audi, and then it hit the wall and of all six cars involved in the accident mine was the only car that was able to be driven away from the scene and I suffered no injuries. Fabulous car!

Go Geo
By Geogo on 12/10/08 13:59 PM (PST)

1996 Geo Metro Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned the car for 2 years and have put over 115K miles on it.. I have replaced nothing, and beat and abused this car and it won't break. Everything works, looks decent. Gets about 35mpg, costs $8 to fill up right now with gas being $1.75. I have changed the oil about once every 10-15K miles and it never uses any oil. Starts every time.

No care that is more reliable
By GG on 04/26/08 00:36 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new in 96, I drove this car 45 miles to work and back every day for years. The car logged over 260,000 miles before I gave it to my son. I even rolled the car on its side in a ditch and never had to do any major repaors other than body work. The engine and trans worked like they did they day I bought even after 260,000 miles. Amazing, great gas milage, great reliabilty, great car. If you can find one of these cars that have been taken care of I would recomend it.

My Geo
By walter thompson on 11/27/07 17:42 PM (PST)

1996 Geo Metro Sedan 4dr Sedan

My Geo Metro is fun and a good car to drive if you have a low budget like I do.

Bring Back the Metro
By Metroman on 01/14/06 14:21 PM (PST)

1996 Geo Metro Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I purchased this little jewel with 90000 on the odometer. It runs great and gets great gas mileage. It is low priced and long lasting. With the high cost of fuel nowadays, the Suzuki Corp and GM should rejoin forces to produce such a wonderful little car. The Car is approaching 115,000 miles a running strong, not bad for $1,500.00 investment.

Geo Metro an Excellent Car
By brawny on 11/09/04 14:15 PM (PST)

1996 Geo Metro Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've put 50,177 miles on my Geo in the last 5 years. I get between 40-45 miles per gallon, depending on city or hwy. Most of my driving is a combination of the two. The only repairs I've had to make is a new muffler (the core rusted off). It's very reliable, starts up even after sitting a couple months in storage. Its easy to park, turn around in tight places, has a seperate trunk that is huge, amazing feature for this trim car. I do wish it had a rear defroster sometimes, but the heater is very adequate even in January in IL.

Just keeps going and going and going
By Susannah Brighton on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

Got the car brand new in 1996 and drove it for 8 years and 78,000 VERY hard city miles. I could have driven the car into the ground but the AC went out and it cost more to fix than the car was worth. (Someone who didn't need AC could have driven the car for five more years at a minimum.) It was a great little city car but as other vehicles got larger and larger it didn't feel as safe as it should have been. But you could park it anywhere, repair work was reasonably priced, and nobody would ever, ever want to steal it.

Could be better
By asauder on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Geo Metro Sedan 4dr Sedan

My experience with this car has been poor. We burned up a transmition a week after we got it. As far as fuel- it kicks butt.