Used 1994 Geo Metro Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

no good deed goes unpunished
By yuba4

1994 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

94 2-door hatchback, bought new. Used for commuting from '94-'96. Excellent commuter car (after stereo upgrade). Averaged 45 mpg. From 0-5 mph, as fast as anything! Then the flywheel momentum was conferred. I actually loved this car, but unfortunately its not for a young single man. People just don't want to understand why someone would drive this. It was a good car, but nearly impossible to sell during the boom years of the mid-90's. Later drove a '96 for another two years - same comments

Favorite Features

Fuel economy - that's about it. Managed 54 mpg on a round trip once, and an astounding 74 mpg over four hours once with a massive tailwind.

Suggested Improvements

No aspect of this car is optimized except for fuel economy, so everything is low-grade. Both the '94 and '96 are endearing machines

"MAX" 60+ MPG No Joke!!
By Tony

1994 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this Canadian built Geo, in Sept 1994. I has served my family well! in fact, we bought two other cars trying to retire "Max"(as the kids call it) and they are no longer on the road. The reliability of this car has been phenomenal! It has taken its share of lickings and keeps on ticking along. regular oil changes, timing belt replacement every 65,000 miles (just because) alternator replaced at 100k!, Valve job @155k (California mandated) and just discovered I need to replace cv joints at 168k! Can you believe it? It's true!! The best part is yet to come, 65 mpg when the vehicle was new! After moving to California, the mileage dropped to 49-50 mpg!

Favorite Features

Now I am not a small guy, and I have taken my share of ridicule for driving this small car. Considering the original purchase price of $5500.00 alone, divide it by 15 years of great service, the car has paid for itself! If Chevrolet Made this car again I'd buy one for everyone in my family.

GM Goofs again!!!!
By joc C

1994 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

Why did Gm stop making this car???? Best Idea of the eighties. Good reliable transportation. I called the hatchback my mini pick-up. I moved alot in that cargo space. Why couldn't they have improved on its design. It could have broken the 70MPG barrier.

Favorite Features

Ice cold air nice to have in fla. Good gas mileage My wife and daughter were rear ended by a big dodge van and only the computer in the cargo space suffered lasting damage. I did not junk the car even though it was totaled by the insurance people. I replaced the rear end for an extra $500

Suggested Improvements

Better Hardware; stainless steel exhaust, a reliable radio. more comfortable seats.

Better car than any Hybrid ever made
By Franklin

1994 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I had this car from 1995.I rebuild wrecked cars for my own use.This is one of those cars with amileage of 20.000 at the time I bougt this car.I repaired the front end wreckage and stored the. Started using the car since the gas price went to $1.80; I think around 1998. I rebuilt the Motor and 5 speed transmission at 120000 Miles.It is 3 years since the motor is rebuilt and right now the Mileage is 176000. Use Mobil one with a K&N reusable air cleaner. I had to get the 3 rd set of tires and I have put 4 14" Mag alloy wheels from a 1990 dodge colt from Canada and 14" tires.Speedometer reads 35 m/hr when it is 37 M/hr. at 60 m/hr it shows 55/hr. One of the best;reliable car I had.Does 53mpg.

Favorite Features

America needs 3 cylinder cars like the Geo Metro.With proper aerodynamics,bigger wheels and 6 speed no slip gears can achieve 55 mpg.With Hybrid technology can achieve 100 mpg. With added Solar roof and Hood can achieve beyond 100 mpg.

Driving to Paradise
By Scott K.

1994 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I love these cars. I love these cars so much that I bought one for my wife to drive and I trust it to take her anywhere she wants to go and safely return her home. My wife drives a 1991 and mine is a 1994. No matter where we go or what we are doing, these cars have been by our side. The world seems to go away when driving through the countryside in my Metro. Find one (or two) for yourself and someone you love. The Metro will love you back.

Favorite Features

MPG, did I mention MPG! zips through traffic. and turns on a dime. Easier than riding a bike to repair. Inexpensive parts is a bonus.

Suggested Improvements

Of course door handles. More room for better sound system.