Used 1993 Geo Metro Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Geo Metro Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

MY GEO
By RICKJOAN

1993 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car from my boss and it had just turned 100,000 mi. I am an auto mechanic for over 40 years experience. When i first go the car it was hard to get used the the engine vibration. It was a peppy little car. I ended up going to Michigan twice and both times checked the gas mileage coming back and could not believe the gas mileage i got. At 70 mph with a/c on i averaged 51 to 56 miles per gallon. Around town i averaged 48 to 50. Have has almost no maintenance just water pump, timing belt.

Spunky little car, easy to get in and out of traffic. A/C works great.

Would have been nice to have had cruise control

Little Beast
By Mike

1993 Geo Metro Hatchback LSi 2dr Hatchback

Honestly, this is the most powerful stock car I have seen yet. People laugh at them, but they are full of guts. After some slight modifications, I could easily take many other stock vehicles on a straight stretch. With my 17" low profile tires, it handled turns very well at high rates of speed. I love cars such as this that are very fast and powerful, yet get great gas mileage. I never had any problems with it, regular oil changes and 1 tie rod end was replaced. It is a very reliable car.

Large amount of power and reliability.

Ability to get more aftermarket parts and accessories.

Very Reliable
By Stratten

1993 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I have had my 93 Geo for 5 years now and have put in only 500 dollars in repairs. 200 for a blown fuse (only cost 11 bucks or something for the fuse the rest was labour) and 300 for a leaking water pump. The previous owner had put mag wheels on (which made the car look a lot nicer than the tiny stock wheels) which made the speedometer inaccurate. The car is fairly slow, but with an after-market exhaust it was still fun to drive. The car has never left me stranded and has been going strong for a long time. I have been trying to sell for 2 years now but just can't bring myself to do it. Finally, i do need an upgrade, but I will always miss my first car.

Size was nice for parking spaces and gas mileage was amazing.

Airbags would make it feel a lot safer. Bigger engine.

45 to 50 mpg
By 45 to 50 mpg

1993 Geo Metro Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I own a 93 standard geo metro hatchback with the 5 speed, I was hoping it would do a little better on fuel economy as compared to the xfi which I was told used a different computer, I have no idea what the differences are on the 2 cars. If you own a geo, be sure to have the catalytic convertor changed out as these over a period of time will cause burned valves. The motor is easy to work on, starter is a little hard to get to. When replacing the head I've found it to be much easier to bolt the intake on first then bolt the head to the motor then bolt the exhuast up next. I've managed 45 to 50 mpg by coasting to a stop sign or red light along with keeping the speed limit to 60 mph. Good cars.

The seats are very comfortable compared to cars of higher value, I'm 6'2 and have plenty of leg room in the 2 door models, the transmission is easy to shift, fun car to drive.

My geo didn't come with ac, just roll the windows down, but I've had serious problems with the window mechanisms, I've worked on both sides but they refuse to cooperate, maybe some bungee cords are in need for having the windows up or down. Exhaust ports have a poor flow due to the dog leg turn.

The Green Machine
By Gooseman

1993 Geo Metro Hatchback LSi 4dr Hatchback

My geo has proven to be an exceptional vehicle for me. Not only do I get fantastic gas milage, but the amount of time that I have to put in for repairs is almost zero. I have owned my geo for about 4 years, and the most money that I have invested in it was for new tires, which are hard to come by b/c they are only 12's. But it handles better on the snow, water, and out in the heat better than any older used car that I have owned. Being a married college student, this car has been a lifesaver in saving me a whole lota dough. Gooseman

Favorite features: Gas mileage, the amount of room inside is astonishing

The aerodynamics have already been improved and I'm not for sure if the 3- cylinder 1.0 liter engine was ever remade.