Used 1992 Geo Metro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

1992 Geo Metro

View reviews for a specific Metro model:

Best car I've ever owned
By Bob Hardison

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Geo Metro new in Oct. 1991 as a 1992 model. I have a little over 208,000 miles on it, and it has never been overhauled and does not use any oil between changes at 3000 miles. The only repairs needed since purchase is the starter at 148,000 miles, and the front struts at Sears at about 100,000 mi with a lifetime warranty, and a replacement (no charge) at 201,000 mi. I still get average 33 mpg in town, and 47 mpg on a trip. I've replaced front wheel brakes myself twice (about $20.00). I will never sell or trade this car and I love driving it better than my new Nissan Altima, and I do drive it more. My Geo is a 5 speed manual. I replace the timing belt myself about every 60K miles.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, tire cost for 12" tires (last 60,000 mi.) Interstate speed as it keeps equal with everyone. The road test says 100 MPH, and I know it will do it. I drive at 70-75 on interstate.

Suggested Improvements

I don't want or need any improvements. The ride and seating is great and I am 6,1". I didn't adjust the brakes until I had 85,000 mi. on it. I have replaced the brakes twice. It starts instantly. I do have to use the medium grade gasoline to prevent pinging.

My Geo
By harmony

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Convertible

Excellent mileage and comfort. Everyone yells "cute car" as I go buy so it always feels very good to be driving this car. I've owned it since it was new.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Like to have the top down. Excellent mileage. It's cute.

Suggested Improvements

Audio system isn't very good.

How great is this car
By Bob Hardison

1992 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

This car has been the best car that I have ever owned. It is a 1992 model that I bought in Oct. 1991. Today it is Mar. 2007 and I have 206,000 miles on it and it uses no oil between changes and the only repair that I have had is a starter motor that went bad after 150,000 miles. I will never sell this car at any price. I get 47 MPG and the 12 in. tires only cost about $100.00 for all four, and it will cruise on the interstate at any speed you want it-even up to 100mph. I usually drive it there at about 75mph.

Favorite Features

Lots of leg room, comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of.

great transportation
By bob h

1992 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

Great car, easy to work on and parts are readily available. Would drive this car anywhere! Mileage is great! Easy on tires

Favorite Features

Cheap to run

13 Year Love Affair
By Stan_Topdown

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Convertible

OK, so it takes more than 20 seconds from 0 to 60. Big deal. Find me another top-down car that gets 33 - 35 mpg in town; 40 mpg on the road (no wind; 70mph). 13 years - 80,000 miles; only actual repair - speed sensor in speedometer went out at 32K. Rest is maintenance. Out today 50 mile round trip - bright sun, mid '70's, 25 mph sw wind - sometimes headwind - sometimes tailwind. Great fun both ways. Handles fine on ice & snow - it's just a shame none of the current < $20K fwd coupes don't come as convertibles. Like many other stick shifts I've driven, when you're close enough to floor the clutch w left foot, your right foot is too far forward to use the throttle comfortably.

Favorite Features

Convertible, 5 speed, clutch, milage, reliability, 0 - 30 acceleration in town.

Suggested Improvements

Wife is intimidated when in it - she doesn't like looking at the under- carriage of 18 wheelers @ 70mph. Also, extended time in the car hurts her back unless she pads the seat with pillows. I find a small pillow under my right thigh really helps when close enough to floor clutch!