Used 1992 Geo Metro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:
Overlooked and Underpriced
By Lamar Simmons on 05/27/05 18:48 PM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Convertible

I was a skeptic to actually drive a three cylinder engine. However, the chassis is so light that the engine has enough pep to power the only car I have ever driven with under a ton of weight. The convertible top is easy to operate and aesthetically pleasing giving this car a far better look than any of its siblings.

Reliable work car
By F. Mauritz on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Geo when it had 35,000 miles, it now has 215,000 miles and is still running strong. I have replaced the water pump once, but nothing else mechanical. The fuel economy is awesome at nearly 60 mgp on the highway. A Geo Metro driver has to be willing to tolerate slow acceleration from the three cylinder engine. It gets no respect from SUV drivers or trucks and driving a GEO can be a bit nerve wracking in heavy stop-and-go traffic. Forget about running the air conditioner in stop-and-go traffic -- too much power drain.

Most fuel efficient car...ever?
By PizPump on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro XFi 2dr Hatchback

Wonderful little car. I specifically set out to find one of these Metro XFi's because of the amazing fuel efficiency (50-55mpg). Actually gets better MPG than the newest hybrids! Not only that, but it actually has a little pep (more than you would think for a tiny 3 cylinder). The car is very spartan, but that should be expected. It's a Metro that has been significantly lightened and all options removed. It is a means of getting from here to there for the least amount of money possible. If you're looking for comfort or performance, then you surely will not be satisfied. It is for frugal misers like myself =D

Get to know Geo!
By geodriver on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Geo Metro 4dr Hatchback

This was my first car. I've had great fun driving it and fixing it up. Granted it was in disrepair when I got it, (due to previous owner's failure to maintain) I've had an excellent overall experience with it. One thing about this setup is that it's super easy to work on. Everything in the engine compartment is right on top and easily accessible. I've had it for almost 3 years now and the only drivetrain problems I've had was with the water pump and starter. Leaks absolutely no oil. It's served me very well over the past few years and I expect it to last for years to come. As Chevy said, Get to know Geo. You won't regret it.

Not that bad, but could be better
By cysq on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

This car is pretty fun to drive. It can be great on gas, but it's a noisy bugger. The exhaust goes out every two years or so. Watchout if it is using antifreeze. If that goes out you'll overheat the aluminum block, which basically shells the entire car. If you buy one, don't spend ANY MORE than $400, no matter how nice it runs/looks. If there's any problems, automatically drop your original offer price. If they decline, the car's price is way too high.

My Metro Rocks
By metrolover on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

I love my metro and it runs well. I have owned it for six years now and have had no major repairs yet. It had 50,000 miles when I bought it, and now has 125,000. Only performed minor repairs (tires, brakes, etc). Gets about 40-45 mpg (will get over 50 on the highway if I go about 55-60 mph, the faster I go, the worse my mileage). Just returned home from a 4,000 mile trip over a 2 week period and had no problems, didn't even worry about breaking down.

mpg is great
By Phisher93 on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Convertible

This has been a reliable car. I had it for 2.5 years from 116k miles to 165k miles. It always started. Always ran and ran, 400 miles at a time even. The convertible roof leaked only very little from the top of the drivers window. but it wasn't all the time maybe only 20% of the time that it rained. Two other things were troublesome: the exhaust pipe broke 3 times. Install a flex pipe at the bend just under the engine. that helped. and my traction on wet or snowy roads was terrible. buy good good tires. I felt like I was in a saucer sled most of the time. Its just a very light car.

fun to drive & economical too
By wehrd1 on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro LSi 4dr Hatchback

I just bought this car for a steal...it has 113000 miles on it and STILL gets 45 mpg with the A/C on!! Its actually a lot more roomy inside than i first anticipated. The a/c pulls it down a little, but what do you expect from a 3 cyl. car.

Geo Metro is a best buy
By jammo on 03/18/02 14:24 PM (PST)

1992 Geo Metro 4dr Hatchback

A Geo Metro is a best buy. I have had mine ten yrs and love it. Maint included new tires [$120 for 4 on the rim!!] an alternator, two batteries and one new brake set-for 10 yrs! Seats 4 and gets fantstic milage. Total cost with financing,AM/FM Cassette, rear wiper and air was just under $10,000. Monthly avg cost-$102! $83 for purchase, $12 in gas and $7 in maint including parts, svc and oil changes. Still kicking and looking good-largest Geo ever made!