1992 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:
Dream Car!
By karentoby1 on 08/08/13 16:41 PM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro XFi 2dr Hatchback

Searched for ANY model/year metro for the past 9 months-price/condition ratio not acceptable. but luck would have it, i sold my blown engine 2001 corolla and had the money when this XFI pops up on Craigslist. other co-incidences aside-the guy shows up and the clutch is slipping-according to him it just started doing that [fat chance] and i said, "i'll give you $500"-he said ok. well i'll tell you-that car is fun as can be to drive! i put a new clutch in/tuned 'er up and my 100 mile round trip commute is a joy thinking about all that money i'm saving.

my first car
By Julia on 09/28/09 19:47 PM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I got my geo metro as my first car because it was cheap and cute. It was the best decision I have ever made. I have had the car 6 months, have had to put a new set of tires on it and change the water pump. In all, not more then $300 in repairs. I love this car. And if it ever dies, which I doubt it will because it is more of a beast then my moms car, I will buy another in a heart beat. There isn't really anything I don't enjoy about this car. It is the best first car anyone can have, as long as they are reliable and wont wreck it, because they are simply awesome on gas and are on the cheap end of things when it comes to repairs. I'm glad I have my metro. =)

living within your means
By livin large life on 09/10/08 06:55 AM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. They quit making this car because it was to economical and reliable. 16 years and 230,000 miles with less than 200 dollars in parts, that is what I call having your cake and eating it too. I only wish that I could buy a new one today. This is my primary vehicle, which I own several new ones that cannot compare all around.

Best car I've ever owned
By Robert D. Hardison on 07/09/08 19:39 PM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I bought this Geo Metro new, and I have 210,000 miles on it. It uses no oil between 3,000 mile changes. The only repairs I've had are 3 timing belts (the old ones looked like new) I did this myself, one starter after 195,000 miles, one distributer sensor. My first timing belt cost $9.97, last one cost $19.97, -no other repairs. My gasoline mileage is tops 61 MPG, low 41 mpg (town only). I have a new Nissan 6 cyl Nissan Altima, but I will never sell my Geo Metro, as I use it 90% of the time.

322,000 on chassis 2nd eng&3rd tranny
By avionicbug on 04/30/08 19:32 PM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

I love my Metro I have had it 12 years I put 222,000 miles on it since i bought it.I installed a motorcycle muffler and it sounds and performs great. I drive 88 miles a day.It is so easy to work on changing the eng or tranny in a few hours. It to me is both pricelss and worthless at the same time. I would not sell it for $4000 I am planning on seeing 1,000,000 miles. I laugh at the $4.00 gas and big SUV's

Best car I've ever owned
By Bob Hardison on 03/19/08 19:25 PM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Geo Metro new in Oct. 1991 as a 1992 model. I have a little over 208,000 miles on it, and it has never been overhauled and does not use any oil between changes at 3000 miles. The only repairs needed since purchase is the starter at 148,000 miles, and the front struts at Sears at about 100,000 mi with a lifetime warranty, and a replacement (no charge) at 201,000 mi. I still get average 33 mpg in town, and 47 mpg on a trip. I've replaced front wheel brakes myself twice (about $20.00). I will never sell or trade this car and I love driving it better than my new Nissan Altima, and I do drive it more. My Geo is a 5 speed manual. I replace the timing belt myself about every 60K miles.

My Geo
By harmony on 08/16/07 18:27 PM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Convertible

Excellent mileage and comfort. Everyone yells "cute car" as I go buy so it always feels very good to be driving this car. I've owned it since it was new.

How great is this car
By Bob Hardison on 03/27/07 19:37 PM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

This car has been the best car that I have ever owned. It is a 1992 model that I bought in Oct. 1991. Today it is Mar. 2007 and I have 206,000 miles on it and it uses no oil between changes and the only repair that I have had is a starter motor that went bad after 150,000 miles. I will never sell this car at any price. I get 47 MPG and the 12 in. tires only cost about $100.00 for all four, and it will cruise on the interstate at any speed you want it-even up to 100mph. I usually drive it there at about 75mph.

great transportation
By bob h on 01/14/06 16:37 PM (PST)

1992 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

Great car, easy to work on and parts are readily available. Would drive this car anywhere! Mileage is great! Easy on tires

13 Year Love Affair
By Stan_Topdown on 10/19/05 23:23 PM (PDT)

1992 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Convertible

OK, so it takes more than 20 seconds from 0 to 60. Big deal. Find me another top-down car that gets 33 - 35 mpg in town; 40 mpg on the road (no wind; 70mph). 13 years - 80,000 miles; only actual repair - speed sensor in speedometer went out at 32K. Rest is maintenance. Out today 50 mile round trip - bright sun, mid '70's, 25 mph sw wind - sometimes headwind - sometimes tailwind. Great fun both ways. Handles fine on ice & snow - it's just a shame none of the current < $20K fwd coupes don't come as convertibles. Like many other stick shifts I've driven, when you're close enough to floor the clutch w left foot, your right foot is too far forward to use the throttle comfortably.