1990 Geo Metro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Metro model:
First new car I bought
By just_john on 02/21/13 14:21 PM (PST)

1990 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I bought the 1990 Metro new for $6499. My wife used to drive between Randolph AFB and Lackland AFB everyday for work. Almost always she would encounter "rush hour traffic" that moved at 45-50 MPH. On her 90 mile commute at this low speed she routinely achieved 62-63 MPG week after week. After about 18 months she decided that she needed a more comfortable car. It had 65,000 trouble-free miles on it when we sold it. No cruise control, no A/C, no frills of any kind. BTW, on a trip to South Dakota and back we averaged 65 MPH and got 46 MPG HWY.

best kept secret on the planet
By ZAKEN1 on 03/17/09 23:14 PM (PDT)

1990 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1990 Geo Metro from the original owner in 1992, with 58,000 miles on it. It was used daily for a 100 + mile freeway run; the easiest possible type of driving. The owner had been using Castrol Syntec 5W-50 synthetic oil, and had added an Amsoil bypass oil filter. I continued using the same oil and changing oil and filters regularly. The car is now 19 years old, and has run nearly 300,000 miles. I've replaced two timing belts, a water pump, an alternator, an oil seal, two sets of front brakes, tires, batteries, and tune up parts. The engine never had any internal repairs, has the original clutch, and runs better today than it did when I bought it (I am a professional mechanic).

1990 Geo Metro LSI Convertible
By Metro Man on 02/07/09 22:34 PM (PST)

1990 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Convertible

Using 93 Octane, Full tire pressure, and a top notch Air Cleaner.. My Metro Gets 50 + MPG !!! Garage kept buy the one owner "Retired old lady" Never seen a hint of salt. Great car, Convertible, It might have a 1.0 liter Three Cylinder. But she has plenty of get up and go around the winding roads of Watkens Glen. Top speed Clocked at 108 MPH. Not too Shabby.

Lasts Long
By Bill on 02/13/07 20:39 PM (PST)

1990 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

It has been 16 years since I had bought my Metro when it was new and it had nearly 600,000 miles. I have gone through 4 clutches, 2 front subframes, and 1 floorboard, which I replaced because it caved in last month on I-10. I had it dynoed 3 months ago and it made 21 hp, pretty good for such a high mileage car. Unfortunately, last week I parked it too close to the dump trucks at the quarry and I ran over it. That was when I discovered it was saturated with rust. Overall, it was a great car.

Great little sports car
By mplmoose on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Geo Metro LSi 2dr Convertible

I just passed 185,000 miles and it's still going strong. It's a great car to drive down to the beach. Just drop the top and cruise. It's especially nice considering it only takes me 3 bucks in gas to get to the beach and back. Great little mini sports car.

Great Car
By ragar092369 on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Geo Metro 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 65,000 miles and drove it back and forth to work. I got great gas mileage and good performance. I was amazed that a 3 cylinder engine could perform so well. It was very reliable all year round. I only had to replace the tires and the wipers and maybe the fan belt. Other than that it was a wonderful car to have.

geo, it just keeps going and going
By aitheman on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Geo Metro 4dr Hatchback

The engine has 145,000 miles on it and it just keeps rocking

Most Dependable Car I've Ever Owned
By d2presby on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Geo Metro 2dr Hatchback

My brother-in-law thought the 1990 Geo Metro was a disposable car that would self-destruct in under 50k miles. We just retired it at 153k. In eleven years it has been a real workhorse with very few mechanical problems. Sure, it's small, but for one or two adults, it's surprisingly comfortable, and not terrible for kids in the back. I have driven it for the last 7 years, and it became like an extention of my body. The 3-cyl. engine never lacked pick-up and never delivered less than 40 mpg, even in the city. I loved this car!

A perfect 10
By Ghetto Cruzah on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Geo Metro XFi 2dr Hatchback

It boasts a smooth ride, comfortable upholstry, and the wonderful pickup that customers have come to expect of a Geo.