I Was Surprised
By JETZcorp on
2003 Ford Windstar 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)
When I told my parents I would like my first car to be a truck, they figured I was looking for a 4000lb thing and picked up this van. I thought it was going to be a terrible pig that got a gallon to the mile and turned with the precision of a brick. What I found instead was that, compared with my mom's Suzuki Grand Vitara, the beast had gobs of torque and an orgasmic sound above 4000 revs. My only complaints are the transmission (all cars should be manual) and the fact that it won't haul a motorcycle. In terms of reliability, the only worrying thing is a sort of clicking under the dash depending on the A/C setting. Take control of the shifter yourself and burnouts are easy.
Favorite Features
I love the torquey, American power delivery and it has the best brake feel of anything I've driven. Listen, all you car engineers, learn from the Windstar's brakes, they're not on/off devices! Anyway, even though it is a minivan and intrinsically uncool, I've come to appreciate the tail lights!
Suggested Improvements
The steering is too vague; even if you snap the wheel 90 degrees it will turn in a lazy fashion as if it were yawning. When you snap it back it feels like it's got a hinge in the middle. The steering wheel itself looks like a watermelon and it won't stay in 3rd gear more than 6 seconds.