Used 2003 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Good and Bad Features
By Sandy

2003 Ford Windstar LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Mechanically, I have had no problems with the Windstar. I have 88,000 miles on it and it still runs like new. I just changed the battery for the first time. I am going to trade it on a smaller car. If I had known that Ford was going to come out with a van with collapsable seats instead of the removable ones, I would have waited and bought the Freestar. Removing and replacing the back seats has been the biggest pain since I got the car. Also, like most other reviews here, my interior lights occasionally flicker and no one can fine what is wrong. Same with the ABS light that comes on but dealer can't find any problem when I bring it in. Gas mileage has been about 20. Used to be better.

I like being high up driving the van. Large gas tank means fewer stops for fillups on long trips.

They did put in collapsable rear seats after I bought this one. Also, the slightest touch to the outside of the car results in a scratch. My driver's door looks like I keep score for vehicle hits or something. And, this was with special coating at purchase to keep the exterior looking nice.

Not a good quality-reliable van
By SANCHEZ,EDNA

2003 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The van is not a good quality. Looks good on the outside but nothing good on the inside. The electrical system easily broke down, alternator work out on two years. manufacturer did not informed us that there is a recall on the van. The Van stop in the middle of the Freeway at no warning. The power window does not work to good. The sliding door stock every time.

Manufacturer need to stand on their quality of the product. Extended warranty was not a reliable the Ford dealer sell it to you for 4 years only 3 years the policy does not honor.

When the alternator worked.
By Firemann

2003 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We had a spell of a couple months were we could not keep an alternator in the van. However, once we got the problem solved (4 alternators later) the van has been great. Gas mileage is not so good, but its a comfortable ride. We have the SEL. One of the power doors broke and they are very heavy without the motor moving it. They are spacious and great for long drives.

We love the power leather seats, the in-dash 6 disc CD changer, power door (s), strength of the frame, and the looks of the van.

It has a pretty loud engine and not much power.

Tall drivers take note
By thundercloud47

2003 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am one week into owning this Windstar. I'm 6'6" and have a problem with fitting in the newer vehicles especially the imports. This was funny when I was younger but now that I am disabled with arthritis it is not so funny anymore. I have no problem fitting in the Windstar. The only issue I have is the console where the heater controls and radio are located. It is too close for my liking in that it does not give my right leg enough room. But this is an issue I can overlook. I have plenty of headroom, the seats are comfortable, and the ride is fantastic. I really like not having to duck my head to look out the windshield. It's too soon to tell about reliability .

Leather seats, headroom, ride, folding seats, power doors

The controls for the heater and radio should have been moved further away from the driver to improve legroom. On long trips I just use the cruise control and place my leg elsewhere. Otherwise I am very happy with this minivan

Poor quality
By Ford - never again

2003 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Seems like this car knew it had passed the 3 year / 36,000 mile mark and started to disintegrate. Catalog of problems, many electrical: in-dash CD changer won't eject, rear windows open & close when they feel like it, electric sliding doors: one opens occasionally & the other won't close completetly, steerng motor howls like a werewolf.

Ride comfort, design

Build it better and maybe I'll come back! Otherwise, you've cured me of buying Ford; my next car will be a Honda.

• SUV