Used 2003 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Nothing but a Lemon
By familydc

2003 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This van has been nothing but a nightmare. We bought it because it was a really nice looking van, smooth riding, and the movie feature for the kids. Within one week (we bought it from single owner- 30,000 miles) and we had to fix the passenger window motor. We have a reoccuring issue with flashing interior lights, Advance track button that lights up (which we have replaced multiple sensors), now the Vcr won't take a tape 90% of the time. The passenger window again doesn't function and the doors are a little sensitive at times and don't shut properly. The most costly was two years in at about 60,000 miles, we had to replace the transmission. After all of this, no more Fords for us!

Rides well, spacious.

Stow and Go Seats

good van, quirky issues
By txmusatang68

2003 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We had a 1998 Windstar before. Loved the interior and features. We sold it after 186k miles. This van had some issues, but was reliable. So we bought a 2003 used, 85k miles. Comfort great! Style good. Heavy seats, but very sturdy. Replaced cruise switches - $400 part avail from FORD ONLY. Intake manifold gasket - $450. Now, 9k miles/3 months later, transmission - $1350. Found out it was 2nd rebuild of tranny. Coincidentally, 1998 had tranny replaced under warranty. I see a trend here, Ford! And electrical issues - passenger front door doesn't turn on lights, theft system works when it has a mind to (embarrassing). 98 was crazy too - humidity seemed to be the issue there.

Seats, V6 motor,

transmission, electrical improvements. a little more mpg would be nice, but not at the cost of power.

Okay but could be better
By die hard ford owners

2003 Ford Windstar LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Windstar, We brought a 1995 right after it was first made, it was very reliable. In the 7 years of ownership the only problem we had was a starter go bad. We always kept it maintained. Sold only to get a newer model because we didn't want to wait till we did start having them because of the mileage. But then came the 2003 lx. It's okay only because of the brake light and ABS light always on. Also rear window starting to act up sometimes want open. but as for running it always been good so far. We take it on vacation trips once a year. It always run with strong power even with my family of 5. We now have 104,000 miles. So my problem with this vehicle is the electrical system.

The room it has in side and power ratem isn't too bad for a vehicle of its size and weight. Also my vehicle has most of features offered.

Ford needs to make sure they use a good ecu computer for this vehicle which cause most of the problems such as ABS and brake lights comming on. Besides that mine has been a very strong runner so far.

There are better minivans
By JimBeam

2003 Ford Windstar LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited this vehicle from my father-in-law, who purchased this as a former "dealer car" in 2003. It's a good people mover, but was dated when new and is even worse now. We have had no major issues, but lots of minor ones. We have had all sorts of problems with electrical sensors going bad, each of which cost several hundred dollars to fix. We had the mysterious flickering interior lights problem (it's a bad door sensor, if you are wondering) a tire pressure light that comes on for no reason, and a very expensive check engine light. I think Ford cut every corner they could think of when building this van and it shows.

3.8L V6 provides good power. Van has room for 7.

There is a reason why the US automakers need a bailout: their cars are not the same quality as the competition and consumers won't put up with it. Make a decent car (or at least stand behind what you make) and maybe people will buy it.

Ford all the way
By Phantom

2003 Ford Windstar LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I Love My Windstar! Without a doubt this is one of the best vehicles on the road. One fact my decision to purchase a Windstar was you very rarely see on sitting on the road side. The total mileage is approaching 101200 and have only had regular servicing done. My dealer is the one problem I have as they want the van brought in for every little thing. I suppose they think an oil change is beyond the scope of the average person. If Ford still made Windstars, I would not hesitate to purchase another one. Anyone who thinks the Windstar gets poor mileage probably races from stoplight to stoplight and spends a lot time sitting in traffic. I get approximately 18.6 mpg around town.

2nd and 3rd row removable seats. Rack on top for adding a carrier as the interior space is small.

Access to back side of engine for spark plug replacement could be better.