2003 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Good and Bad Features
By Sandy on 07/30/08 05:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Mechanically, I have had no problems with the Windstar. I have 88,000 miles on it and it still runs like new. I just changed the battery for the first time. I am going to trade it on a smaller car. If I had known that Ford was going to come out with a van with collapsable seats instead of the removable ones, I would have waited and bought the Freestar. Removing and replacing the back seats has been the biggest pain since I got the car. Also, like most other reviews here, my interior lights occasionally flicker and no one can fine what is wrong. Same with the ABS light that comes on but dealer can't find any problem when I bring it in. Gas mileage has been about 20. Used to be better.

Not a good quality-reliable van
By SANCHEZ,EDNA on 07/12/08 11:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The van is not a good quality. Looks good on the outside but nothing good on the inside. The electrical system easily broke down, alternator work out on two years. manufacturer did not informed us that there is a recall on the van. The Van stop in the middle of the Freeway at no warning. The power window does not work to good. The sliding door stock every time.

When the alternator worked.
By Firemann on 05/14/08 13:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We had a spell of a couple months were we could not keep an alternator in the van. However, once we got the problem solved (4 alternators later) the van has been great. Gas mileage is not so good, but its a comfortable ride. We have the SEL. One of the power doors broke and they are very heavy without the motor moving it. They are spacious and great for long drives.

Tall drivers take note
By thundercloud47 on 04/28/08 17:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am one week into owning this Windstar. I'm 6'6" and have a problem with fitting in the newer vehicles especially the imports. This was funny when I was younger but now that I am disabled with arthritis it is not so funny anymore. I have no problem fitting in the Windstar. The only issue I have is the console where the heater controls and radio are located. It is too close for my liking in that it does not give my right leg enough room. But this is an issue I can overlook. I have plenty of headroom, the seats are comfortable, and the ride is fantastic. I really like not having to duck my head to look out the windshield. It's too soon to tell about reliability .

Poor quality
By Ford - never again on 04/21/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Seems like this car knew it had passed the 3 year / 36,000 mile mark and started to disintegrate. Catalog of problems, many electrical: in-dash CD changer won't eject, rear windows open & close when they feel like it, electric sliding doors: one opens occasionally & the other won't close completetly, steerng motor howls like a werewolf.

Buyers beware... Be very aware!
By Just say NO!!!! on 03/30/08 09:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought this used nightmare, from one of the largest Ford dealers in the country. We were attracted by its good looks and many great family options like the entertainment package. I had owned a 1998 windstar before, which was a complete lemon (transmission failure) but I had heard Ford greatly improved this van (false) we only owned this 2003 windstar van for 7 months as of yesterday when we traded it in at the Toyota dealership. Just can't afford to put any more alternators, batteries, electrical components on this van to keep it going with 60,000 miles plus I didnt even get into the from end shimming at road speeds. Low cost to buy but ridiculous ownership cost to keep on the road.

Dissapointed owner
By Estella Delgado on 03/19/08 09:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchansed and have enjoyed this vehicle until recently when the van with only 70,000 miles on it broke down and we are told that it needs a new transmission. We cannot believe this has happened. It is now sitting in the garage because of the economy we cannot afford to dish out over $1,500 for the repair.

Do NOT Depend on Ford
By Great Family Van NOT on 03/17/08 11:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The first 2 yrs were great, no problems (even posted here in 08-2005). However, since early 2006 we have had the interior lights flashing, dealer can not fix and many many compliant logged with no known TSB or fix. (Replaced: light swithc 2x; both sliding doors and rear gate sensors) -- Now the intake manifold must be replaced due to a PLASTIC seal used that melts around 50- 70K miles. *We have 55K now. $100 part and 3 hrs of labor at your dealer of choice @ $120= total $460 before taxes. My dealer stated 4-6 vans a day must have this done, and Ford will not issue a recall as this is not a Safety issue. Just causes the van to suck more gas and fail emmissions.

Once they fixed the throttle sensor..
By David on 11/13/07 11:38 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this van. Unfortunately, I had a high idling problem that went on for about 70,000 miles. Unexpectedly, it was diagnosed it as a bad throttle sensor. Once they replaced that, it's like a new car. I love it again. I've had a few "electricals." The driver side window motor had to be replaced. The "Check AdvanceTrac" comes on occasionally, but nothing is found to be wrong. Mileage is as stated, 18 to 24. I can live with that. I wish the seats were stow 'n go, but that's not a show stopper. They're heavy as heck, though. I've got 111,000 on it now and hope to get another 50-75,000. Bottom line, once the high idling was fixed, it's an nice car.

Bought used, 75K miles later
By Tim on 09/19/07 11:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our 2003 Windstar Limited has been a very reliable van. We have put >75K miles on in less than 4 years of ownership. The only problems we have had is occasional flickering interior lights and the in dash CD changer that sometimes does not want to eject that we deal with. The Winstar was the last van with a removable 3rd seat rather than fold flat. This is the one thing that I dislike about the van. The rear seat is heavy and bulky to move in and out. The VCP rather than DVD based entertainment system is another drawback. Our limited is very quiet and comfortable to drive, although our typical gas mileage of 20 MPG is a little lower than what we had hoped for