Used 2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Windstar taxi
By taxi owner

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought van 03/09 $2100 135K miles. Transmission already been replaced with the used 90k miles. at 150K replaced alternator from 06 Mustang (better amps and fits fine) $60 used. Oil change every 4K (supertech 10w30) It is a daily driven 150-500 miles as a taxi. Have engine light on and brake+abs light comes on sometimes. The interior lights blinking usually when humid. I have replaced drivers window regulator ($35 used). Rear windows don't open all the times. Replaced air filter with a "cool blue air filter" for better gas mileage $28 eBay. Installed HID xhenon light kit for better vision an night time $35 ebay. Replaced spark plugs. Got a NGK platinums. Now got 184,581, I'll drive till 300K

Ice cold AC/rear AC. Toughness. Price. I'm planing to replace timing belt at 200K. Will drive it till at least 300K. Pretty good van for the money. I appreciate every dollar this van makes for me.

Better MPG. (I get 17city/24hwy). Better speakers. Fold down rear seats.

2003, good, solid minivan
By robinsweb

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

In the 90's I drove a Dodge Caravan, which was about as safe as driving a tuna fish can. Got a new 1997 Windstar, then a new 2003 Windstar. I like driving newish cars, but I'm keeping this one until it falls apart, because even after 7 years, (77,000 miles) I still LOVE IT! Nice looking for a minivan, It still looks spiffy and not too outdated. Paint in good shape. Some minor problems others have observed, like flashing interior lights and dash lights, of which I've paid to have repaired MULTIPLE times. (Life is full of compromises.)

Iím not kidding, the gas mileage is INCREDIBLE for a car this heavy and sturdy. I've get 26 mpg highway on trips to the beach. The beach is 165 miles from our house, I can go to beach, back home and back to the beach on ONE tank of gas! How crazy is that?

Of concern is this axle breaking, listed in recalls. I am going to take it for recall as I want to keep this car on the road for as long as possible. What is Ford thinking making such an ugly car as the Flex and dumping their popular minivan line?

broken rear axle
By Dena

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Good family car but unsafe. Recently 2days ago my rear axle cracked going 50mph causing me to lose control. Thank God one of my children were not driving at the time and that I wasn't on a major highway going 65-70 mph cause I don't know if I could have got it under control.

I strongly suggest after reviewing other articles on line that Ford do a major recall and correct this issue before SOMEONE GETS KILLED. This was very scary for me and my children who were with me at the time

Windstar 2003 SE
By marcovi48

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2003Windstar SE.I like this van a lot but I have a lot of electrical problems,the alternator change 3 times power locks after 4 months of haven this car stop working.transmition replace at 81000,abs light always on and now my rear axle broke in half,so can not say that this is a good car for the $32000 that I pay,

Time to sell it before too late
By G W

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used w/ @ 33,000 mi on it. The driver's side window motor went right away but the dealer fixed it under warranty. Now have @ 77,000 mi on it. Rear vent windows work & then don't, interior lights also flash on for no reason, now the head gasket is leaking- a seemingly common issue. I owned a '96 & it also was plagued w/ electrical glitches. I'm very nervous about the multiple listings of tranny failure as it has never seemed well mated to this engine - lots of downshifting when going up just moderate grades, not like the '96 but then Ford made this model @ 1000 lbs heavier. Think it's time to sell.

Honestly, there's no a lot of difference between Ford and other makes of minivans. Thought the interior was pretty well appointed.

Same old American car complaints- cut corners so they just don't hold up like the imports and then don't own up to obvious design defects. This model de-evolved. They cut their own throats- no for more Fords for me.