2003 Ford Windstar Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2003 Windstar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Sort Reviews by

1998 Ford Windstar GL - Big disappointme
By Mia

2003 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 1998 Ford Windstar GL which I bought new in 1997. It needed a transmission within 2 years, has made a squeaking noise which they can not find since I first bought it. Now 4 years & 64,000 miles later it stalls when you stop for a light the whole car shakes when stopped and chugs and sounds like there is a washing machine in the engine and no one can figure out what it wrong with it. I spent two years running back and forth to the dealer with it and they never fixed some of the problems that exist to this day!! I will never buy a FORD product again. Ford should stand for fix or repair daily or found on road dead!!!!!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Build a car which is mechanically sound. Hire mechanics who know how to find and fix problems!!!!

It's getting better
By FrankTheCabOwner

2003 Ford Windstar LX Deluxe 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

i own 2 1998 windstars and was not to happy with them. they each needed multiple transmissions. They also needed front-end work about every 50,000 miles they are each approaching 500,000 miles now. (They are Taxi's) I am very happy with the 2003 i just bought. They tell me the transmission problem has been fixed so that i should get 200-250k miles per trans, instead of the 100k the old ones lasted.

Favorite Features

rear air and sliding seats

Suggested Improvements

would like an extended version, about a foot longer would be great for my use as a taxi as it would provide more luggage space when having a large number of passangers.

Not as nice as my Aerostar, but a hit
By Ryan- Minivan expert

2003 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

A nimble and clever van, but I would like to see more feature that were in its X-brother van Aerostar. No mechanical problems yet, but Warranty is up to 100K, so I don't need to worry. AWD is a necessity up here in Rochester,NY and FrontWD doesn't perform like our Aerostars, but this van will never rust, as it is plastic and is very safe. Our family always has the new minivan in the neighborhood and impressed a lot of friends, neighbors and family with this van. Will we upgrade to the new redesigned 2004 Windstar, I don't know yet, but that Caravan is looking nicer than before...

Favorite Features

I love the adjustable pedals as my 4 "kids" (15-23) sometimes drive the van and the tallest and shortest is 5'3 and 4'11... I like the quad seating and dual power doors, but next time I won't get leather.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are not like my son/wifes 95/97 Aerostar but still better then our 99Grand Caravan.The rear seat should fold into a bed and sliding door able to also be operated manually.The dash and the steering wheel is ugly. Need to have smaller/extended model like Aerostar-Only 17mpg

ford quality?????
By daniel lipps

2003 Ford Windstar LX Deluxe 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchases my 2002 windstar this year and found what i thought was a simple defect. I soon discovered that Ford takes responibility for it's mistakes! If one looks at the 2002 windstar's back right wheelwell there is no covering or protection to the elements. the other three are covered with a plastic sheld and rust preventive. i found that ford will make no effort to fix the factory defect and will insted let my $30,000 van rust!!!! I find Ford utterly noncompliant with my service needs and dismissed my concerns as understated.

Suggested Improvements

There needs to be a nationwide recall of all 2002 windstars to fix the problem before unfixable damage occurs.

Do not buy this vehicle
By neveragainford

2003 Ford Windstar LX Deluxe 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I heed warning to anyone who is interested in a Ford Windstar. Make sure you look around before you make your decision. This is a nice vehicle at first, until you start looking at what you can get for your money at the other brands. I think the best minivan on the market today is the Dodge Grand Caravan / Chrysler Town and Country! Where else can you get industry exclusive infrared climate control that is automatic, Power sliding doors with obsticle detection system, and a power rear lift gate standard? You can't even get them elsehere as an option. These are by far the supreme minivan on the market!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Put a Chrysler Badge on the front!

World's Safest Mini-Van
By macuser

2003 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is by far the best mini-van I have ever owned, having previously owned a Chrysler Town & Country, Pontiac Montana, and GMC Safari. The Ford Windstar has the best of everything all in one well priced package.

Favorite Features

The audio system is wonderful. The vehicle drives like a European luxury car. It looks great, and has every imaginable item to make long trips with children enjoyable.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can think of would be to offer a built-in air compressor like my Pontiac Montana had.