Used 2003 Ford Windstar LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Most Helpful|
Best Car I've Ever Owned
By soulsoprano66

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Windstar from a used car dealership with 88,000 miles on it. When you're a single Mom on a very tight budget, you will accept little flaws in exchange for overall reliability. Lots of annoying electrical problems, rear windows work randomly, interior lights flash, etc. But mechanically, this car takes all the punishment I give it and more. Very solidly built. Great pickup (I have the 6 cyl. model), and acceptable gas mileage. A few moderate repairs, alternator, wheel bearings, etc. (but it did come from coastal NJ so that was understandable). I have 170,000 on it now and it still starts up every morning, and runs great! Best car I've ever owned. I'll drive it till it dies.

Favorite Features

Removable seats for cargo (though they are difficult to remove/replace.) Rear seat mirror for monitoring the kids. Change dispenser for tolls, etc. Ability to move boarding space near middle seat to left or right. Reliable performance, even with lack of maintenance. Long wheel base for hauling large items or lots of camping equipment. Rear D/C charging ports. Great sounding stereo. Cruise control. Available 6 cyl. engine. Acceptable gas mileage for a 6 cyl. vehicle of this size (approx. 20mpg Hwy/17mpg in town). Excellent turning ratio, can turn on a dime. Narrow enough body to fit into tight parking spaces. Rear windshield wiper/washer. Excellent Heat/AC system. Comfortable seats/seatbelts.

Suggested Improvements

Secondary electrical issues. Have to keep interior light switch in off position when not using to prevent battery drain. Rear windows work intermittently and can't be opened manually when switch isn't functioning. Fixed middle passenger windows don't open. Flimsy driver console cupholder dumps drinks. Insufficient small item storage. Under console storage space is useless, dumping things out when making turns,etc. Emergency brake in center floorboard instead of under dash. CD player often won't eject CD's. Outside lock on driver's door only. Very inconvenient when remote keyless entry keyfob is out of battery or lost. Ride isn't especially smooth. Can feel every bump and crack in the road.

Windstar 2003
By fustrated

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Was our first car to make payments on. We bought it in 2003 with 20,000 miles on it. It had transmission problems with it twice within 4 yrs and power steering pump went out 2 times within 2 yrs of each other. I feel like we are always fixing something major. We never had any major problems like this with the older cars we had. We are disappointed and I think Ford should have recall for transmission issue. I have read that other owners are having same issue.

Favorite Features

the interior space and features.I actually like that the doors aren't power doors. the interior still looks in great shape.

Suggested Improvements

Ford has stopped making mini vans. It is a wonder why! the reliability is very disappointing and fords willingness to take responsibility for issues that owners shouldn't have in car at such a low mileage or age

I Was Surprised
By JETZcorp

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I told my parents I would like my first car to be a truck, they figured I was looking for a 4000lb thing and picked up this van. I thought it was going to be a terrible pig that got a gallon to the mile and turned with the precision of a brick. What I found instead was that, compared with my mom's Suzuki Grand Vitara, the beast had gobs of torque and an orgasmic sound above 4000 revs. My only complaints are the transmission (all cars should be manual) and the fact that it won't haul a motorcycle. In terms of reliability, the only worrying thing is a sort of clicking under the dash depending on the A/C setting. Take control of the shifter yourself and burnouts are easy.

Favorite Features

I love the torquey, American power delivery and it has the best brake feel of anything I've driven. Listen, all you car engineers, learn from the Windstar's brakes, they're not on/off devices! Anyway, even though it is a minivan and intrinsically uncool, I've come to appreciate the tail lights!

Suggested Improvements

The steering is too vague; even if you snap the wheel 90 degrees it will turn in a lazy fashion as if it were yawning. When you snap it back it feels like it's got a hinge in the middle. The steering wheel itself looks like a watermelon and it won't stay in 3rd gear more than 6 seconds.

Windstar taxi
By taxi owner

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought van 03/09 $2100 135K miles. Transmission already been replaced with the used 90k miles. at 150K replaced alternator from 06 Mustang (better amps and fits fine) $60 used. Oil change every 4K (supertech 10w30) It is a daily driven 150-500 miles as a taxi. Have engine light on and brake+abs light comes on sometimes. The interior lights blinking usually when humid. I have replaced drivers window regulator ($35 used). Rear windows don't open all the times. Replaced air filter with a "cool blue air filter" for better gas mileage $28 eBay. Installed HID xhenon light kit for better vision an night time $35 ebay. Replaced spark plugs. Got a NGK platinums. Now got 184,581, I'll drive till 300K

Favorite Features

Ice cold AC/rear AC. Toughness. Price. I'm planing to replace timing belt at 200K. Will drive it till at least 300K. Pretty good van for the money. I appreciate every dollar this van makes for me.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG. (I get 17city/24hwy). Better speakers. Fold down rear seats.

Great family Van
By Deb

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Reliable, I have had this van since 2005, Have not had any problems with it. Oil Changes, brakes - that is all. The only reason I am looking for another vehicle is my childern are very tall and they no longer are confortable in the back seat.