Used 2003 Ford Windstar Limited Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

I Like This Van
By NChawk

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van new in June 2003 with 5 miles on it. About half the time I've had it, there was a high idling, throttle problem. Once they figured out to replace the throttle sensor, and then the throttle assembly, it has run great....and I've got over 140,000 miles on it now. I had to replace the transmission at 112,000 miles, which cost about $3,300. It gets about 22 mpg on the highway, and 17 in town. It has all the whistles and bells and they all still work....although I wish they had had the DVD instead of the VCP. I'm happy with my Windstar and expect to keep it for another 3-4 years.

The cruise control is well-designed and simple to use. I also like the 6- CD player and Traction Control.

They could have improved the throttle assembly. It took about 70,000 miles to figure out what was causing the high idling.

Poor quality
By Ford - never again

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Seems like this car knew it had passed the 3 year / 36,000 mile mark and started to disintegrate. Catalog of problems, many electrical: in-dash CD changer won't eject, rear windows open & close when they feel like it, electric sliding doors: one opens occasionally & the other won't close completetly, steerng motor howls like a werewolf.

Ride comfort, design

Build it better and maybe I'll come back! Otherwise, you've cured me of buying Ford; my next car will be a Honda.

Once they fixed the throttle sensor..
By David

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this van. Unfortunately, I had a high idling problem that went on for about 70,000 miles. Unexpectedly, it was diagnosed it as a bad throttle sensor. Once they replaced that, it's like a new car. I love it again. I've had a few "electricals." The driver side window motor had to be replaced. The "Check AdvanceTrac" comes on occasionally, but nothing is found to be wrong. Mileage is as stated, 18 to 24. I can live with that. I wish the seats were stow 'n go, but that's not a show stopper. They're heavy as heck, though. I've got 111,000 on it now and hope to get another 50-75,000. Bottom line, once the high idling was fixed, it's an nice car.

I like the 6-CD in dash. The heated seats are nice, too. The VCR is nice, but would have preferred a CD player, obviously. Aw, what the heck. I can hold on to VHS tapes for a few more years.

Nothing in particular.

Bought used, 75K miles later
By Tim

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our 2003 Windstar Limited has been a very reliable van. We have put >75K miles on in less than 4 years of ownership. The only problems we have had is occasional flickering interior lights and the in dash CD changer that sometimes does not want to eject that we deal with. The Winstar was the last van with a removable 3rd seat rather than fold flat. This is the one thing that I dislike about the van. The rear seat is heavy and bulky to move in and out. The VCP rather than DVD based entertainment system is another drawback. Our limited is very quiet and comfortable to drive, although our typical gas mileage of 20 MPG is a little lower than what we had hoped for

Preset memory seats/mirrors. Wife and I are different sizes and having the van set seat/pedal an mirror position based on the key fob that is unlocking the door is great. Power sliding doors, little convex mirror to see the kidos and the backup sensor system are great!

Fold into the floor rear seat (2004 Freestar has it) and auto climate control would be great additions.

2003 Windstar
By gburritt

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is an okay car to purchase. The price makes it an attractive buy. However, we've had a Chevy Venture and notice that the leg room is much less in the Windstar than the Venture. Good pickup. Avg. MPG = city--> 14 Highway 18.

Movies, beeping when backing up (except when snow accumulates on bumper. The beeping simply continues)

Chevy Venture has middle seats pop up to allow easier access to the back seat area. Leg room is very limited. On long trips this is annoying. DVD player needed rather than VHS. We had to install one ourselves.

• SUV