Used 2003 Ford Windstar Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

2003 Ford Windstar .. AVOID
By panhead_mike

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I never thought I was a stupid man, but now I'm beginning to wonder. I bought a used 2003 Ford Windstar with about 170,000k's on it. The safety recalls had been done and the transmission had be re-built at a Ford Dealership not long before I bought it. I thought I had it covered! Within 3 months the transmission was dead again. The repairing dealership was not interested in talking to a different owner and Ford doesn't want to talk to me. There are a lot of companies building vans, Do Not Buy a FORD Van...or in my case, a Ford Anything..as long as I live. You have been warned!

Favorite Features

price..almost at junk yard prices

Suggested Improvements

Change in attitude of Ford...I'm gone forever

It is not good choice for a long run
By proAm

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

4 and 1/2 yrs old and only 57k miles. I bought it for value. Don't like it for poor quality. Brake makes noises from day one. The 1st issue, the car died immediate after start. The 2nd air-condition. Both are covered under warranty within 3 years. Since then, power steering made noises and the car shakes at cold start some time. I added in a little steering fluid help a little. Yesterday the engine light on for vacuum leak at isolator bolts in intake manifold. It costs over $500 to fix it. It seems more troubles ahead. Now the car lost 2/3 value after 4 yrs. I did my part for maintain (3000 miles oil change, transmission fluid and filter change once. Air filter twice.) Ford not.

Favorite Features

Space, I take the second seat out.

Suggested Improvements

Quality

My ownership experience
By jwhclayton

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased new in summer of 2004, it now has 75,000 miles on it. I have changed oil every 4,000 miles, replaced tires, replace brake pads on front, replace power steering fluid. It has only been in the dealership twice since it was new. No complaints.

Favorite Features

Price.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable std seats, standard CD player.

Great Value
By Richard

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

90,000 miles, front brakes, power steering pump, set of Firestone Tires at 75K after the OEM General's were retired. Do the math; $1300.00 plus oil change and filter, tire rotation every 10,000 miles at $55.00. $1795.00 for 90,000 miles. 2 cents per mile. How can you beat it. About 22 miles per gallon at $2.00 in California is $8200 of fuel in two years and price paid of $22,405 OTD. $.36 per mile for two years. Value to move $6,000. $26,400 / 90,000 = .2933 cents per mile. FORD HAS A BETTER IDEA.

Favorite Features

None, no frill van, CD, PW.

Suggested Improvements

Front passengers seats, lumbar for lower back; probably available in the high end trim.

I love my van!
By twins4me2003

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We only have the basic model, but I still love this van. We had to have a van with newborn twins!! This was the best for its value and space. One of my friends has a MVP and it is sooo cramped compared to my van.

Favorite Features

4 doors to get the babies in. Plenty of room for additional friends to ride along.