Used 2003 Ford Windstar SEL Minivan Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

worst vehicle ever
By cheyluck

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This was our first time car buy for $9,500, within a year of buying the transmission went out and we discovered that the axle had cracked. we found that the ford
had called a recall. within another year of having the transmission fixed the second one went out. The right side window motors went out, we had to replace the speedometer electronics, The interior light like to flicker on and off as well.
I recommend avoiding this vehicle all togetherl.

The only possitive i can say is the sliding doors

transmission, electronics

Bad transmission
By Jefrey Luke

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the van used with 36,840 miles on it. I like the sliding doors on both sides. I have an aftermarket warranty with auto-life. They were terrible. They were looking for ways not to pay for the bad transmission. I do NOT recommend aftermarket warranties. After submitting all my receipts for my oil changes 2 were hand written by a smaller garage and in the "fine print" it says no hand written receipts. A mechanic friend of mine stated transmissions on Windstars were a problem in '03. Ford Motor wouldn't admit to it and said they will not do anything and that I have a isolated problem. Last Ford I'll ever buy and never will I buy a after market warranty especially from Auto-life.

Read the fine print.

Time to sell it before too late
By G W

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used w/ @ 33,000 mi on it. The driver's side window motor went right away but the dealer fixed it under warranty. Now have @ 77,000 mi on it. Rear vent windows work & then don't, interior lights also flash on for no reason, now the head gasket is leaking- a seemingly common issue. I owned a '96 & it also was plagued w/ electrical glitches. I'm very nervous about the multiple listings of tranny failure as it has never seemed well mated to this engine - lots of downshifting when going up just moderate grades, not like the '96 but then Ford made this model @ 1000 lbs heavier. Think it's time to sell.

Honestly, there's no a lot of difference between Ford and other makes of minivans. Thought the interior was pretty well appointed.

Same old American car complaints- cut corners so they just don't hold up like the imports and then don't own up to obvious design defects. This model de-evolved. They cut their own throats- no for more Fords for me.

Great Van
By thundercloud

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used it already had 99,000 miles on it. It drives like a new one. So far the only mechanical issues I have had with it are the ones you would expect at that mileage such as brakes and belts. I am a tall, overwieght, disabled man. It's like whoever designed this van had people like me in mind. I have plenty of room and it is not a chore to drive it. In fact it has improved my mobility so much that last summer I lost 80 pounds. Now this van itself did not do that but it is one of the factors involved in my weight loss. To lose that amount of weight you have to be up and moving and this van helped me do that.

ROOMINESS

Cannot think of any but it does not matter because they stopped making this van.

Nothing but a Lemon
By familydc

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This van has been nothing but a nightmare. We bought it because it was a really nice looking van, smooth riding, and the movie feature for the kids. Within one week (we bought it from single owner- 30,000 miles) and we had to fix the passenger window motor. We have a reoccuring issue with flashing interior lights, Advance track button that lights up (which we have replaced multiple sensors), now the Vcr won't take a tape 90% of the time. The passenger window again doesn't function and the doors are a little sensitive at times and don't shut properly. The most costly was two years in at about 60,000 miles, we had to replace the transmission. After all of this, no more Fords for us!

Rides well, spacious.