2003 Ford Windstar SEL Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2003 Windstar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Sort Reviews by

worst vehicle ever
By cheyluck

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This was our first time car buy for $9,500, within a year of buying the transmission went out and we discovered that the axle had cracked. we found that the ford had called a recall. within another year of having the transmission fixed the second one went out. The right side window motors went out, we had to replace the speedometer electronics, The interior light like to flicker on and off as well. I recommend avoiding this vehicle all togetherl.

Favorite Features

The only possitive i can say is the sliding doors

Suggested Improvements

transmission, electronics

Bad transmission
By Jefrey Luke

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the van used with 36,840 miles on it. I like the sliding doors on both sides. I have an aftermarket warranty with auto-life. They were terrible. They were looking for ways not to pay for the bad transmission. I do NOT recommend aftermarket warranties. After submitting all my receipts for my oil changes 2 were hand written by a smaller garage and in the "fine print" it says no hand written receipts. A mechanic friend of mine stated transmissions on Windstars were a problem in '03. Ford Motor wouldn't admit to it and said they will not do anything and that I have a isolated problem. Last Ford I'll ever buy and never will I buy a after market warranty especially from Auto-life.

Suggested Improvements

Read the fine print.

Time to sell it before too late
By G W

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used w/ @ 33,000 mi on it. The driver's side window motor went right away but the dealer fixed it under warranty. Now have @ 77,000 mi on it. Rear vent windows work & then don't, interior lights also flash on for no reason, now the head gasket is leaking- a seemingly common issue. I owned a '96 & it also was plagued w/ electrical glitches. I'm very nervous about the multiple listings of tranny failure as it has never seemed well mated to this engine - lots of downshifting when going up just moderate grades, not like the '96 but then Ford made this model @ 1000 lbs heavier. Think it's time to sell.

Favorite Features

Honestly, there's no a lot of difference between Ford and other makes of minivans. Thought the interior was pretty well appointed.

Suggested Improvements

Same old American car complaints- cut corners so they just don't hold up like the imports and then don't own up to obvious design defects. This model de-evolved. They cut their own throats- no for more Fords for me.

Great Van
By thundercloud

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used it already had 99,000 miles on it. It drives like a new one. So far the only mechanical issues I have had with it are the ones you would expect at that mileage such as brakes and belts. I am a tall, overwieght, disabled man. It's like whoever designed this van had people like me in mind. I have plenty of room and it is not a chore to drive it. In fact it has improved my mobility so much that last summer I lost 80 pounds. Now this van itself did not do that but it is one of the factors involved in my weight loss. To lose that amount of weight you have to be up and moving and this van helped me do that.

Favorite Features

ROOMINESS

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of any but it does not matter because they stopped making this van.

Nothing but a Lemon
By familydc

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This van has been nothing but a nightmare. We bought it because it was a really nice looking van, smooth riding, and the movie feature for the kids. Within one week (we bought it from single owner- 30,000 miles) and we had to fix the passenger window motor. We have a reoccuring issue with flashing interior lights, Advance track button that lights up (which we have replaced multiple sensors), now the Vcr won't take a tape 90% of the time. The passenger window again doesn't function and the doors are a little sensitive at times and don't shut properly. The most costly was two years in at about 60,000 miles, we had to replace the transmission. After all of this, no more Fords for us!

Favorite Features

Rides well, spacious.

Suggested Improvements

Stow and Go Seats

Not a good quality-reliable van
By SANCHEZ,EDNA

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The van is not a good quality. Looks good on the outside but nothing good on the inside. The electrical system easily broke down, alternator work out on two years. manufacturer did not informed us that there is a recall on the van. The Van stop in the middle of the Freeway at no warning. The power window does not work to good. The sliding door stock every time.

Suggested Improvements

Manufacturer need to stand on their quality of the product. Extended warranty was not a reliable the Ford dealer sell it to you for 4 years only 3 years the policy does not honor.

When the alternator worked.
By Firemann

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We had a spell of a couple months were we could not keep an alternator in the van. However, once we got the problem solved (4 alternators later) the van has been great. Gas mileage is not so good, but its a comfortable ride. We have the SEL. One of the power doors broke and they are very heavy without the motor moving it. They are spacious and great for long drives.

Favorite Features

We love the power leather seats, the in-dash 6 disc CD changer, power door (s), strength of the frame, and the looks of the van.

Suggested Improvements

It has a pretty loud engine and not much power.

Tall drivers take note
By thundercloud47

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am one week into owning this Windstar. I'm 6'6" and have a problem with fitting in the newer vehicles especially the imports. This was funny when I was younger but now that I am disabled with arthritis it is not so funny anymore. I have no problem fitting in the Windstar. The only issue I have is the console where the heater controls and radio are located. It is too close for my liking in that it does not give my right leg enough room. But this is an issue I can overlook. I have plenty of headroom, the seats are comfortable, and the ride is fantastic. I really like not having to duck my head to look out the windshield. It's too soon to tell about reliability .

Favorite Features

Leather seats, headroom, ride, folding seats, power doors

Suggested Improvements

The controls for the heater and radio should have been moved further away from the driver to improve legroom. On long trips I just use the cruise control and place my leg elsewhere. Otherwise I am very happy with this minivan

Buyers beware... Be very aware!
By Just say NO!!!!

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought this used nightmare, from one of the largest Ford dealers in the country. We were attracted by its good looks and many great family options like the entertainment package. I had owned a 1998 windstar before, which was a complete lemon (transmission failure) but I had heard Ford greatly improved this van (false) we only owned this 2003 windstar van for 7 months as of yesterday when we traded it in at the Toyota dealership. Just can't afford to put any more alternators, batteries, electrical components on this van to keep it going with 60,000 miles plus I didnt even get into the from end shimming at road speeds. Low cost to buy but ridiculous ownership cost to keep on the road.

Favorite Features

vhs,power doors, Good looks

Suggested Improvements

These vans are no longer produced for a reason.

NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN
By NEVER BUY A FORD

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this lemon in 2005 had 32000 miles on it. I had to replace transmission in April 2007 at 50000 miles and replaced engine at 59000 miles, what a lemon. It makes me sick to think Ford builds cars like this to sell to family's. Will never buy another Ford product ever!!

Favorite Features

I use to like the exterior looks as well as the interior.

Suggested Improvements

Where should I start, Ford needs to offer better warranty if they do not know how to make vehicle last at least 100,000 miles. Electrical problems needs some attention, gas mileage needs improving.