2003 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Best Car I've Ever Owned
By soulsoprano66 on 02/15/13 08:40 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Windstar from a used car dealership with 88,000 miles on it. When you're a single Mom on a very tight budget, you will accept little flaws in exchange for overall reliability. Lots of annoying electrical problems, rear windows work randomly, interior lights flash, etc. But mechanically, this car takes all the punishment I give it and more. Very solidly built. Great pickup (I have the 6 cyl. model), and acceptable gas mileage. A few moderate repairs, alternator, wheel bearings, etc. (but it did come from coastal NJ so that was understandable). I have 170,000 on it now and it still starts up every morning, and runs great! Best car I've ever owned. I'll drive it till it dies.

Windstar 2003
By fustrated on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Was our first car to make payments on. We bought it in 2003 with 20,000 miles on it. It had transmission problems with it twice within 4 yrs and power steering pump went out 2 times within 2 yrs of each other. I feel like we are always fixing something major. We never had any major problems like this with the older cars we had. We are disappointed and I think Ford should have recall for transmission issue. I have read that other owners are having same issue.

Windstar taxi
By taxi owner on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought van 03/09 $2100 135K miles. Transmission already been replaced with the used 90k miles. at 150K replaced alternator from 06 Mustang (better amps and fits fine) $60 used. Oil change every 4K (supertech 10w30) It is a daily driven 150-500 miles as a taxi. Have engine light on and brake+abs light comes on sometimes. The interior lights blinking usually when humid. I have replaced drivers window regulator ($35 used). Rear windows don't open all the times. Replaced air filter with a "cool blue air filter" for better gas mileage $28 eBay. Installed HID xhenon light kit for better vision an night time $35 ebay. Replaced spark plugs. Got a NGK platinums. Now got 184,581, I'll drive till 300K

Great family Van
By Deb on 01/21/10 10:51 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Reliable, I have had this van since 2005, Have not had any problems with it. Oil Changes, brakes - that is all. The only reason I am looking for another vehicle is my childern are very tall and they no longer are confortable in the back seat.

I Was Surprised
By JETZcorp on 11/16/09 03:35 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I told my parents I would like my first car to be a truck, they figured I was looking for a 4000lb thing and picked up this van. I thought it was going to be a terrible pig that got a gallon to the mile and turned with the precision of a brick. What I found instead was that, compared with my mom's Suzuki Grand Vitara, the beast had gobs of torque and an orgasmic sound above 4000 revs. My only complaints are the transmission (all cars should be manual) and the fact that it won't haul a motorcycle. In terms of reliability, the only worrying thing is a sort of clicking under the dash depending on the A/C setting. Take control of the shifter yourself and burnouts are easy.

PROBLEMS PROBLEMS
By SBASTIEN on 08/13/09 17:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I first bought this vehicle all was well. It was the low price that lured me in, but within a fairly short amount of time problems began. All electrical; flashing cab lights, doors not opening, battery not charging, check engine and brake lights on at all times. Vehicle doesn't always start and is very unreliable. I like the interior and exterior of the van, gas mileage too, but very unreliable. WIll NEVER buy a Ford again! :(

Okay but could be better
By die hard ford owners on 01/11/09 20:07 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Windstar, We brought a 1995 right after it was first made, it was very reliable. In the 7 years of ownership the only problem we had was a starter go bad. We always kept it maintained. Sold only to get a newer model because we didn't want to wait till we did start having them because of the mileage. But then came the 2003 lx. It's okay only because of the brake light and ABS light always on. Also rear window starting to act up sometimes want open. but as for running it always been good so far. We take it on vacation trips once a year. It always run with strong power even with my family of 5. We now have 104,000 miles. So my problem with this vehicle is the electrical system.

There are better minivans
By JimBeam on 01/05/09 05:17 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited this vehicle from my father-in-law, who purchased this as a former "dealer car" in 2003. It's a good people mover, but was dated when new and is even worse now. We have had no major issues, but lots of minor ones. We have had all sorts of problems with electrical sensors going bad, each of which cost several hundred dollars to fix. We had the mysterious flickering interior lights problem (it's a bad door sensor, if you are wondering) a tire pressure light that comes on for no reason, and a very expensive check engine light. I think Ford cut every corner they could think of when building this van and it shows.

Ford all the way
By Phantom on 09/23/08 11:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I Love My Windstar! Without a doubt this is one of the best vehicles on the road. One fact my decision to purchase a Windstar was you very rarely see on sitting on the road side. The total mileage is approaching 101200 and have only had regular servicing done. My dealer is the one problem I have as they want the van brought in for every little thing. I suppose they think an oil change is beyond the scope of the average person. If Ford still made Windstars, I would not hesitate to purchase another one. Anyone who thinks the Windstar gets poor mileage probably races from stoplight to stoplight and spends a lot time sitting in traffic. I get approximately 18.6 mpg around town.

Good and Bad Features
By Sandy on 07/30/08 05:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Mechanically, I have had no problems with the Windstar. I have 88,000 miles on it and it still runs like new. I just changed the battery for the first time. I am going to trade it on a smaller car. If I had known that Ford was going to come out with a van with collapsable seats instead of the removable ones, I would have waited and bought the Freestar. Removing and replacing the back seats has been the biggest pain since I got the car. Also, like most other reviews here, my interior lights occasionally flicker and no one can fine what is wrong. Same with the ABS light that comes on but dealer can't find any problem when I bring it in. Gas mileage has been about 20. Used to be better.