2003 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
2003 Ford Windstar .. AVOID
By panhead_mike on 04/17/13 06:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I never thought I was a stupid man, but now I'm beginning to wonder. I bought a used 2003 Ford Windstar with about 170,000k's on it. The safety recalls had been done and the transmission had be re-built at a Ford Dealership not long before I bought it. I thought I had it covered! Within 3 months the transmission was dead again. The repairing dealership was not interested in talking to a different owner and Ford doesn't want to talk to me. There are a lot of companies building vans, Do Not Buy a FORD Van...or in my case, a Ford Anything..as long as I live. You have been warned!

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By soulsoprano66 on 02/15/13 08:40 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Windstar from a used car dealership with 88,000 miles on it. When you're a single Mom on a very tight budget, you will accept little flaws in exchange for overall reliability. Lots of annoying electrical problems, rear windows work randomly, interior lights flash, etc. But mechanically, this car takes all the punishment I give it and more. Very solidly built. Great pickup (I have the 6 cyl. model), and acceptable gas mileage. A few moderate repairs, alternator, wheel bearings, etc. (but it did come from coastal NJ so that was understandable). I have 170,000 on it now and it still starts up every morning, and runs great! Best car I've ever owned. I'll drive it till it dies.

worst vehicle ever
By cheyluck on 09/02/12 08:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This was our first time car buy for $9,500, within a year of buying the transmission went out and we discovered that the axle had cracked. we found that the ford had called a recall. within another year of having the transmission fixed the second one went out. The right side window motors went out, we had to replace the speedometer electronics, The interior light like to flicker on and off as well. I recommend avoiding this vehicle all togetherl.

Windstar 2003
By fustrated on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Was our first car to make payments on. We bought it in 2003 with 20,000 miles on it. It had transmission problems with it twice within 4 yrs and power steering pump went out 2 times within 2 yrs of each other. I feel like we are always fixing something major. We never had any major problems like this with the older cars we had. We are disappointed and I think Ford should have recall for transmission issue. I have read that other owners are having same issue.

Bad transmission
By Jefrey Luke on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the van used with 36,840 miles on it. I like the sliding doors on both sides. I have an aftermarket warranty with auto-life. They were terrible. They were looking for ways not to pay for the bad transmission. I do NOT recommend aftermarket warranties. After submitting all my receipts for my oil changes 2 were hand written by a smaller garage and in the "fine print" it says no hand written receipts. A mechanic friend of mine stated transmissions on Windstars were a problem in '03. Ford Motor wouldn't admit to it and said they will not do anything and that I have a isolated problem. Last Ford I'll ever buy and never will I buy a after market warranty especially from Auto-life.

Windstar taxi
By taxi owner on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought van 03/09 $2100 135K miles. Transmission already been replaced with the used 90k miles. at 150K replaced alternator from 06 Mustang (better amps and fits fine) $60 used. Oil change every 4K (supertech 10w30) It is a daily driven 150-500 miles as a taxi. Have engine light on and brake+abs light comes on sometimes. The interior lights blinking usually when humid. I have replaced drivers window regulator ($35 used). Rear windows don't open all the times. Replaced air filter with a "cool blue air filter" for better gas mileage $28 eBay. Installed HID xhenon light kit for better vision an night time $35 ebay. Replaced spark plugs. Got a NGK platinums. Now got 184,581, I'll drive till 300K

2003, good, solid minivan
By robinsweb on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

In the 90's I drove a Dodge Caravan, which was about as safe as driving a tuna fish can. Got a new 1997 Windstar, then a new 2003 Windstar. I like driving newish cars, but I'm keeping this one until it falls apart, because even after 7 years, (77,000 miles) I still LOVE IT! Nice looking for a minivan, It still looks spiffy and not too outdated. Paint in good shape. Some minor problems others have observed, like flashing interior lights and dash lights, of which I've paid to have repaired MULTIPLE times. (Life is full of compromises.)

broken rear axle
By Dena on 05/17/10 10:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Good family car but unsafe. Recently 2days ago my rear axle cracked going 50mph causing me to lose control. Thank God one of my children were not driving at the time and that I wasn't on a major highway going 65-70 mph cause I don't know if I could have got it under control.

Windstar 2003 SE
By marcovi48 on 05/12/10 13:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2003Windstar SE.I like this van a lot but I have a lot of electrical problems,the alternator change 3 times power locks after 4 months of haven this car stop working.transmition replace at 81000,abs light always on and now my rear axle broke in half,so can not say that this is a good car for the $32000 that I pay,

Time to sell it before too late
By G W on 03/18/10 15:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used w/ @ 33,000 mi on it. The driver's side window motor went right away but the dealer fixed it under warranty. Now have @ 77,000 mi on it. Rear vent windows work & then don't, interior lights also flash on for no reason, now the head gasket is leaking- a seemingly common issue. I owned a '96 & it also was plagued w/ electrical glitches. I'm very nervous about the multiple listings of tranny failure as it has never seemed well mated to this engine - lots of downshifting when going up just moderate grades, not like the '96 but then Ford made this model @ 1000 lbs heavier. Think it's time to sell.