Used 2003 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

2003 Ford Windstar .. AVOID
By panhead_mike

2003 Ford Windstar 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I never thought I was a stupid man, but now I'm beginning to wonder. I bought a used 2003 Ford Windstar with about 170,000k's on it. The safety recalls had been done and the transmission had be re-built at a Ford Dealership not long before I bought it. I thought I had it covered! Within 3 months the transmission was dead again. The repairing dealership was not interested in talking to a different owner and Ford doesn't want to talk to me. There are a lot of companies building vans, Do Not Buy a FORD Van...or in my case, a Ford Anything..as long as I live. You have been warned!

Favorite Features

price..almost at junk yard prices

Suggested Improvements

Change in attitude of Ford...I'm gone forever

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By soulsoprano66

2003 Ford Windstar LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Windstar from a used car dealership with 88,000 miles on it. When you're a single Mom on a very tight budget, you will accept little flaws in exchange for overall reliability. Lots of annoying electrical problems, rear windows work randomly, interior lights flash, etc. But mechanically, this car takes all the punishment I give it and more. Very solidly built. Great pickup (I have the 6 cyl. model), and acceptable gas mileage. A few moderate repairs, alternator, wheel bearings, etc. (but it did come from coastal NJ so that was understandable). I have 170,000 on it now and it still starts up every morning, and runs great! Best car I've ever owned. I'll drive it till it dies.

Favorite Features

Removable seats for cargo (though they are difficult to remove/replace.) Rear seat mirror for monitoring the kids. Change dispenser for tolls, etc. Ability to move boarding space near middle seat to left or right. Reliable performance, even with lack of maintenance. Long wheel base for hauling large items or lots of camping equipment. Rear D/C charging ports. Great sounding stereo. Cruise control. Available 6 cyl. engine. Acceptable gas mileage for a 6 cyl. vehicle of this size (approx. 20mpg Hwy/17mpg in town). Excellent turning ratio, can turn on a dime. Narrow enough body to fit into tight parking spaces. Rear windshield wiper/washer. Excellent Heat/AC system. Comfortable seats/seatbelts.

Suggested Improvements

Secondary electrical issues. Have to keep interior light switch in off position when not using to prevent battery drain. Rear windows work intermittently and can't be opened manually when switch isn't functioning. Fixed middle passenger windows don't open. Flimsy driver console cupholder dumps drinks. Insufficient small item storage. Under console storage space is useless, dumping things out when making turns,etc. Emergency brake in center floorboard instead of under dash. CD player often won't eject CD's. Outside lock on driver's door only. Very inconvenient when remote keyless entry keyfob is out of battery or lost. Ride isn't especially smooth. Can feel every bump and crack in the road.

Bad transmission
By Jefrey Luke

2003 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the van used with 36,840 miles on it. I like the sliding doors on both sides. I have an aftermarket warranty with auto-life. They were terrible. They were looking for ways not to pay for the bad transmission. I do NOT recommend aftermarket warranties. After submitting all my receipts for my oil changes 2 were hand written by a smaller garage and in the "fine print" it says no hand written receipts. A mechanic friend of mine stated transmissions on Windstars were a problem in '03. Ford Motor wouldn't admit to it and said they will not do anything and that I have a isolated problem. Last Ford I'll ever buy and never will I buy a after market warranty especially from Auto-life.

Suggested Improvements

Read the fine print.

worst vehicle ever
By cheyluck

2003 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This was our first time car buy for $9,500, within a year of buying the transmission went out and we discovered that the axle had cracked. we found that the ford had called a recall. within another year of having the transmission fixed the second one went out. The right side window motors went out, we had to replace the speedometer electronics, The interior light like to flicker on and off as well. I recommend avoiding this vehicle all togetherl.

Favorite Features

The only possitive i can say is the sliding doors

Suggested Improvements

transmission, electronics

Windstar 2003
By fustrated

2003 Ford Windstar LX Standard 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Was our first car to make payments on. We bought it in 2003 with 20,000 miles on it. It had transmission problems with it twice within 4 yrs and power steering pump went out 2 times within 2 yrs of each other. I feel like we are always fixing something major. We never had any major problems like this with the older cars we had. We are disappointed and I think Ford should have recall for transmission issue. I have read that other owners are having same issue.

Favorite Features

the interior space and features.I actually like that the doors aren't power doors. the interior still looks in great shape.

Suggested Improvements

Ford has stopped making mini vans. It is a wonder why! the reliability is very disappointing and fords willingness to take responsibility for issues that owners shouldn't have in car at such a low mileage or age