2002 Ford Windstar Consumer Review: Ambushed! 'Til $4K do us part

2002 Ford Windstar - Consumer Review

SE Passenger Minivan (3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Ambushed! 'Til $4K do us part.
By fivelks on

2002 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this unit in '04; lots of candy like the entertainment unit for our son just out of sixth grade at the time. My first minivan. It's been pretty solid up until this past August, when, like so many folks have written here, the thing simply collapsed. We'd loved the ride and the space; not so bothered at having to move the bulky back bench, since I'm a band director and it gave me room for tubas or drums when needed. Took it to the east coast several times. Did not expect all things to fold as they did this fall; all so simultaneously! Disappointing. PRICEY. Head gasket, brakes, alternator (did myself), then a.c. this week. The distance tow plus the repairs: $4000. Tradin' time!

Ride, room, general 360 visibility, entertainment unit (video viewer/screen connect fritzed, however in around '06 or '07), even the appearance was really rather cool with Ford's ginger-gold on this SE. Mich Destiny tires made for nice handling.

How about a vehicle with less science given to it's planned obsolescence? This sucker has simply imploded. Was vigilant about standard maintenance, oil changes, checkups. AC bearings were roaring until $1000 later this weekend (of course Sears replaced entire ac system); still a clacking in susp.