2002 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Mini Junk
By riveramike on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Poor radio reliability, Poor overall interior workmanship and fit. Poor overal body fit and finish. Extremely poor reliability of motor. Numerous major problems with motor. Dealer continues to patch work repairs. Now that vehicle is out of warranty the timing head gasget cover and upper intake gasget need to be replaced at a cost of $1,400.

Practicality and Value On Wheels
By Jerry Benson on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

A "do everything" vehicle. No matter what one's lifestyle, this vehicle will accomodate it. And do it for a ridiculously modest initial price. Gas mileage is surprising ... 25 MPG on the highway. Great highway cruiser ... feels like a big (but agile) limo.

Power Steering issue?
By lcwa1212 on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

After taking the van home with only 35 miles, I felt that steering gave me a strange feeling as if the gears are binding and front end is loose. The same symptons appears in another review.

Beautiful Dangerous Lemon
By chipmcd on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've had numerous problems with this van. Engine/Trans noises and clunking. What scares me about this is the doors come open when driving and then when you pull over they will not let you shut them. This has been worked on 7 times including the final repair under the lemon law. Many reports of this have been reported to NHTSA. I'm now suig Ford for replacement under the law.

Windy in Indy
By OurlivesforHim on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Sport SE used, and it has been great in the past year. We have put 12,000 miles on it. Only in the shop once for a day on a recall. No charge. I have an Accord, and have had many Honda's. The Oddy is nice, but the ride is much harsher, the engine works harder too. For a good of USA rig, this Windstar is well built, and running well at 26,000.

Windstar: More Strengths or Weaknesses?
By johnpetson on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Windstar is overall pretty average. The excellent crash test scores, and the standard powerful engine, are all big and important advantages. However, the Windstar has many fairly important and annoying disadvantages, like the noisy engine, poor handling and components, and slightly-too-frequent trips to the dealer, which make it fairly better than average. What makes it perfectly average is the lack of the cruise control option on the Base LX; I spent about $3000 to upgrade to the Standard LX just for this, since the other extra features are pretty useless. I feel that it is cheap of Ford to do this, and perhaps it makes them lose customers.

Sorry in Seattle
By May on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned the vehicle for 9 months and it has been in the shop 7 times. Suspension problems (A mysterious clunking noise in the front suspension that the dealership cannot seem to hear or find) have plagued us from the beginning. In addition, a wheel bearing and front strut has failed, we have experienced a broken parking brake handle, and now for the grand finale - transmission problems at 14,000 miles. This is by far the poorest new vehicle that I have ever owned.

Works good for me!
By Bigol on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Windstar offers alot of bang for the buck! Although it is not the hottest selling minivan on the market, my family and I enjoy it! This is our second Windstar! No problems with either van but a minor recall on the drivers side floor mat hinge.

vacation van
By cmp253 on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I took the van on a 1000 mile vacation the next day after purchasing the van. I was pleased with the performance and the interior room. My 4 and 1 year old kids loved the VCR.

Our New SE
By Davidb on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

What a great Van. We we adament against buying a mini-van until testing drive this van. This model far outshings the Honda/Madza/Dodge competing models we test drove/rented.