Used 2002 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

It's O.K.
By jdc690

2002 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I'm not a van lover but bought the Windstar so our son and his family could all fit in for short trips. Former owner obviously was not much interested in washing, waxing or vacuuming but it cleaned up pretty good and since I paid a pretty reasonable price I'm happy with it so far. Big gas hog (16 mpg) but so was the pick-up it replaced. The grandkids love the video player and after I bought headphones for them it's O.K. for us too. Still not a big fan of vans but I like this one as well as I'd like any. I've always had my best luck with Ford products.

Favorite Features

Power drivers seat with lumbar support, GREAT air conditioner and video system.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger seat with lumbar support (we own a Mercury Grand Marquis that has one) and some decent front cup holders (this applies to all Ford products).

One Year Update
By Woodbyrne

2002 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

It has been a year since we bought this minivan. Overall we love its functionality. The one minor problem is the back seat. We knew it didn't fold flat when we got it but it would be nice if it did. Getting it out is not that hard but it is very heavy. I can do it alone but it's a good workout. So far there have been no problems at all. The kids love it and so does my wife. Now that gas is $3 per gallon and rising, wish it had better fuel economy. No minivan is really fuel efficient but this thing is a pig. We average 16mpg with mostly local stop-and-go driving. We are seriously considering trading it in for a more efficient wagon but it has been so reliable we can't.

Favorite Features

Black and chrome, baby! Kids love the entertainment center. Tons of room. A great family hauler. Two adults fit comfortable in the 3rd row. Good in the snow and bad weather with all of the safety features. A great cruiser.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is atrocious but still better than an SUV of equal size. You have to make sure your kids don't play around and have the power doors close on them. I stood in the way of the door to see how much force is needed before they open and the door basically moved me (235 pounds).

Van Fan
By Mark Zehnpfennig

2002 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Setting aside a few minor quality issues this is a great minivan.

Favorite Features

Entertainment system, power sliding doors, back-up warning system, rear captain chairs.

Suggested Improvements

Radio controls on the steering wheel.

Save your money and buy a Honda
By ROBBIE

2002 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had so many problems with this van it makes me sick. In the past two months I have replaced a transmission, O2 sensor, EGR valve, another sensor that regulates the fuel, and power steering pump. I only have 80,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Quit building them!

It is what it is!
By Jason

2002 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I'm not a minivan fan, but for our family outings it's what we drive. As far as value for the money I think it's hard to beat this Ford. It's comfortable for 2 adults and 5 children ages 2 to 11, but I see the need for something larger as our children get older. We average 19-21 mpg and have had no major mechanical problems in our first 47000 miles. We have had minor cooling system problems, and a nuisance problem with a door indicating it's open when it's actually closed. Both problems where repaired reasonably by a local private shop. All in all I think it'd be tough to beat this vehicle for the money.

Favorite Features

We test drove Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, & Dodge minivans when we bought the Ford. The Ford has the most powerful engine. To be honest they all seem pretty gutless but the Ford without question had better acceleration which is important to me.

Suggested Improvements

I think Ford has taken care of my biggest complaint in the new Freestar. Taking the rear seats in & out isn't easy. Also as with most minivans more cargo area would be nice.