Used 2002 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Over 5,000 in repairs.
By Larry Smith

2002 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this van new, at less than 50,000 miles, 3 engine seals had to be replaced due to leaking, also the torque converter had to be replaced and the A/C compressor had to be replaced. Today at 85,000 miles the transmission failed and the cost is estimated at over $2,500. I am retired on a fixed income and Ford is killing me.

Learn how to make a reliable car.

Still driving the Mom Mobile
By Mfranck

2002 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Until this week, I never had a single problem with my Windstar. I can't wait to get it back from the dealership (let's hope the extended warranty covers the ABS failure). At 74,000 miles this car has held up and drives beautifully. In the snow when the SUV's can't make it up our hill, my Windstar out performs them all. Two kids, five dogs and the interior still looks new. I truly cannot say a bad thing about this car except that since my kids are older it isn't cool to drive.

Being able to see over the dashboard and the adjustable pedals

Make it easier to remove the backseats and have a tray on the back seats so the kids can put a game console there

Minor problems but do not recommend
By Jozsef

2002 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We did not have any major problems but generally not happy. I just had the second front break replacement at 35000 miles and the front tires a few months ago. Has very bad fuel efficiency in city driving for short distances. Last year, when we drive to Disneyland, the engine lights were coming on and off like an xmas tree. Even now, the service engine light comes and goes.

Roomy interior.

Some fluid refills are very hard to access. More reliable on board computer.

A Money Pit
By MaryBeth

2002 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our Windstar has been nothing but a money pit and I can't wait to sell it and buy a Honda. In the last 6 months I have been stranded 4 times. Alternator, brake switch, ignition switch and A/C compressor have all had to be replaced. The people at Ford should be embarrassed for making such a poor quality van.

Make a quality, dependable product.

Better than GM or Chrysler!
By PL

2002 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this after owning/driving Chevy Venture and Dodge Caravan. This was hands down a better van. Bigger, more power, better ride than the competition. Gas mileage less on the larger 3.8L engine, but significant power and better towing ability makes that negligible at 25mpg hi-way vs 28+ on the others with a small trailer. Loved it from day one and it still drives like new, turning 109,000 this week. Maintenance is easier on Windstar-easier oil/filter changes. Cabin air filter for allergy sufferers is good idea. Overall I would say 100% better than Venture and 50% better than Chrysler products. Looked at Honda, Hyundai before buying this. We have never regretted it a second!

Full adjustment ranges in pedals, power seat, lumbar areas. Seat configurations add room, can be varied to suit needs. Power, gas mileage, ride are super. Video system with rear user controls and dual usage is wonderful! Kids play video games with headphones and we CD listen through the speakers. Peace!

Easier access to spark plugs for maintenance would be awesome.