2002 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Rolling Bar
By Dustlyman on 09/29/08 19:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Well this '02 is my 2nd Ford Windstar, my first one was a '00. Both were used from my wife's grandpa. So when they hit 50,000 he sold them to me. So I have been pimpin Windstars for the past 5 years. Got to say I love the space. I take out the middle seat and leave them out, leave in the back ones (no kids yet) friend/family say it's like a limo. Just throw whatever I want in the middle, it's great for groceries, trips to home Depot/Lowes. Also makes it easy to mix drinks out of. If you take out all of the seats you have a reg cab pick-up with a cover. As far as any problems, none got 88,500 on it now. Excellent in the snow. A/C, heater works great

Bad Gas, Good Power!
By Lucky on 06/20/08 13:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van in 2004 and have had it since. I have had no major engine problems, the gas mileage is horrible 16 city and 20 highway, my sisters GMC Envoy does better than that. I would recomend this van. I like it better then any other van. I'm looking at trading it in now because the trade in value stinks. I paid $15,000 for mine and now it is worth $4,500. I bought it with 20,000 miles and it now has 101,000. I would recomend this van to any one, just be prepared to spend money in gas, at $4.00 a gallon it cost me $104 to fill the tank.

Last Word
By grrover on 03/19/08 10:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Well I after reading these reviews before I bought the car I thought gee everyone is pretty positive. I bought the car I was happy for about three years great van and I have owned three Caravans before. The Ford was lot more comfortable on the highway and lot more preppy. But whoa! When it hit the fourth year the thing just started to fall apart! I have spent over $ 5000 on repairs in the last year! $2,500 in one month alone. My mechanic says hey its cheaper than buying a new car! Sure its lining his pockets. The he tells me that my engine shaking is a a minor engine overhaul for replacing the head gaskets a mere $1,200. I decided to trade it in on a new Outback this week.

2002 Ford Windstar
By nunzie mollicone on 03/09/08 09:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Car is garaged. Drive about7000 mi per year. Never been in any accidents. Had to relace alternator and battery last year. Handles beautiful, very smooth ride.

Would someone please crush this van
By Why oh why did I buy on 10/31/07 20:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Suckered in by a low purchase price used - $12,000 with only 20k miles. The steep depreciation should have been a clue. Lumbering handling, decent acceleration, 20 mpg. Eats brake rotors and various other expensive things. Cupholder jumps up and down wildly. Transmission occasionally misses a shift, and pauses in an apparent neutral state for a second while the engine freely revs to the sky. To top it off, two months ago the anti-lock and brake warning lights turn on after the engine warms up. Ford dealer says it's the speed control module, and it ain't cheap. Power windows quit about the same time. I keep hoping someone would just steal it. Sickening ownership experience.

Over 5,000 in repairs.
By Larry Smith on 10/26/07 19:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this van new, at less than 50,000 miles, 3 engine seals had to be replaced due to leaking, also the torque converter had to be replaced and the A/C compressor had to be replaced. Today at 85,000 miles the transmission failed and the cost is estimated at over $2,500. I am retired on a fixed income and Ford is killing me.

Still driving the Mom Mobile
By Mfranck on 08/08/07 16:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Until this week, I never had a single problem with my Windstar. I can't wait to get it back from the dealership (let's hope the extended warranty covers the ABS failure). At 74,000 miles this car has held up and drives beautifully. In the snow when the SUV's can't make it up our hill, my Windstar out performs them all. Two kids, five dogs and the interior still looks new. I truly cannot say a bad thing about this car except that since my kids are older it isn't cool to drive.

Minor problems but do not recommend
By Jozsef on 02/17/07 12:59 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We did not have any major problems but generally not happy. I just had the second front break replacement at 35000 miles and the front tires a few months ago. Has very bad fuel efficiency in city driving for short distances. Last year, when we drive to Disneyland, the engine lights were coming on and off like an xmas tree. Even now, the service engine light comes and goes.

A Money Pit
By MaryBeth on 11/28/06 15:25 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our Windstar has been nothing but a money pit and I can't wait to sell it and buy a Honda. In the last 6 months I have been stranded 4 times. Alternator, brake switch, ignition switch and A/C compressor have all had to be replaced. The people at Ford should be embarrassed for making such a poor quality van.

Better than GM or Chrysler!
By PL on 11/05/06 11:28 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this after owning/driving Chevy Venture and Dodge Caravan. This was hands down a better van. Bigger, more power, better ride than the competition. Gas mileage less on the larger 3.8L engine, but significant power and better towing ability makes that negligible at 25mpg hi-way vs 28+ on the others with a small trailer. Loved it from day one and it still drives like new, turning 109,000 this week. Maintenance is easier on Windstar-easier oil/filter changes. Cabin air filter for allergy sufferers is good idea. Overall I would say 100% better than Venture and 50% better than Chrysler products. Looked at Honda, Hyundai before buying this. We have never regretted it a second!