2002 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
never let me down
By FrankieB on 09/08/09 20:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My father bought the van new in 2002. He lived in Montana and and had 54,000 miles of rough road driving on it. I inherited in 2005 & drove it to Florida. It never let me down. I would still be driving it if, it was not totaled in an accident in Sept. 2009 with 99,800 miles on it. I was rear end at 60mph and I walked away without a scratch. I was bummed they could not fix it. My only issue with the van was the ABS lights. Nothing wrong with the brakes but the light would stay on. Never had to spend $$ on repairs that were not normal maintenance.

Apparently, I got a good one
By Family Guy on 08/29/09 12:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When our second child arrived I relented and purchased a minivan..Looked at several others but the Windstar SEL had the most room, the most luxurious interior, and because someone else ate the initial depreciation hit it was also the most reasonably priced for year/miles/options. I paid $9500 cash for our loaded SEL w/ 68K. In a little over 3 years of ownership and 33,000 miles I have replaced the following: Battery, Front tires, Temp sensor, and 1 headlight, that's it. Can't complain about $400 in repairs over a 3 year period. We are averaging 20.5 mpg since we got it and I see no need to replace it even though it just turned 100K. Treat it right and it will do the same to you~

transmission failure
By Denise on 07/29/09 07:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Ford Motor Company has been notorious for building poor quality cars that do not last past 100,000 miles. This van is no exception to their "Fix Or Repair Daily" reputation. We purchased the Windstar used with 60,000 miles on it, figuring we'd at least make it to 100,000 before anything substantial went wrong. I use the van to drive my homeschooled children to their many activities and I drive the speed-limit while doing so. Aside from the various annoying problems, we have just experienced transmission failure at 83,000 miles. And from my research, we were lucky to get that much from the van. I've seen reports of failure on this model starting at 30,000 miles!! Ford should pay, yet...

Ford Windstar
By Ford lover on 07/13/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used with 27,000 Miles on it.I flushed transmission at purchase and added X-1R additive to motor also.So far done this 4 times. It now has 228,000 miles. Only repairs so far are alternator, power stearing pump, 2 front bearings, throtle body sensor, MAF sensor, cruise control cable. All other systems are still going so far. I believe good maintenance is the secret and changing fluids regularly including flushing AC system.

Not Very Happy
By Gandy82 on 06/14/09 13:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We had no problems with this van up until 5 months ago and it has been a money pit since. Th OD lights has flashed while going through TN and EGR Valve light will not stay off even after replacing the valve and sensor. Now it is reading clylinder 1 missfire which is in the rear of the engine and not easy to get to. I will never buy another Ford mini van ever again.Oh yeah..the ac compressor went out and the control switch to the heater and ac went out also. BIG $$$$$. Oh yeah...I will never buy another Ford mini van ever again.

Motor Fell Out At 86,000 Miles
By Bill Mack on 04/27/09 12:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Windstar van new & all went well till the Warrenty run out at 60,000 miles. Then the repairs started; Power stering,brakes,engine seals,rack & pinion,warnig lights not going off , set belt light...But the big problem come at 86,000 mi. The engine fell out! All the mounts let loose! So much collaterial damage ,it was not worth the repairs...lost trade in value & charged 6.9% interest on replacement vehicle. NO not the 0% Ford pushes on TV.

Overall Good Vehicle
By cretian on 02/21/09 20:50 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new, garage kept. Very reliable vehicle. Safe driving, especially in bad weather. Like auto doors but they've had bugs from the beginning. Very roomy & comfortable for adults & children & nice for long trips of 1000+ miles but very noisy on highway- outside noise and air noise while driving-you think windows are cracked open. Misc repairs during time owned- glad we got extended warranty. Now with 100,000 miles more stuff is breaking & in last 2 months traction bar rusted thru/cracked in half, sway bar links and engine gasket replaced- all normal? Interior leather still in great shape. Overall really like & will keep it for as many years as possible. Still looks good!

With regrets
By jdy on 01/13/09 11:55 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned this used 2002 Windstar 3 months. It has 80,000 miles. Thought I had done my homework, because I read that the 2002 was more reliable for drive train than Windstar of other years. While I was driving, the car seemed to shift into neutral, leaving me stranded in the middle of no where. Our trusty mechanic says we need another transmission $2100 - $2600. It is sickening that Ford would put their name on a product so horrific.

Used Car Shopping? Keep looking!
By Northern Mom on 11/17/08 08:42 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

With finances in disarray, we hoped we would get something reliable and reasonable. Purchased with 87,000 miles, this van is neither. Repairs are constant, steering is off, engine repairs non-stop, ABS brake lights come on everytime we hit a pothole and fifteen brake codes up at the dealership. We've had problems like the transmission blew in the first week, leaking manifold, broken clip,a hose about to go? If you have 2k to add in, might make it a few years more but you can do better than this dog. Way too much money to spend on a sinking ship..Weird second row seat - not easy with kids and pets. Stinky exhaust, very expensive every time I go in with it.

American Value!
By Johann on 11/03/08 15:13 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this vehicle used nearly 2 years ago, with 50,000 miles. No problems at all with this van. 20mpg, powerful engine and tows our folding camper with ease. The kids love it and we all appreciate how comfortable it is to drive, for short or long trips. Test drove the Sienna, but when we asked about its ability to tow our large folding camper, the toyota salesmen told us not to buy the Sienna. We have considered buying a new SUV, but we cant justify it. This van does everything well and costs nothing to own. Best value out there and solidly built. Way to go Ford!