Used 2002 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Transmission failure @ 85,000
By Tim

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new as a dealer orphan and got a good deal. Have been satisfied with reliability, economy and utility until now. O/D light started flashing and check transmission warning came on. The dreaded Windstar tranny failure strikes. Very disappointing because we were hoping to push to 100k before major repairs. The van has been dealer maintained, garaged all its life, well cared for, and 50% of the mileage is long distance. We'll suck it in and pay $3k for a remanufactured tranny with 3yrs / 100k miles warranty. And then pray the engine isn't next. Time to start using high mileage additives for safety.

Plenty of space. Excellent for road trips.

Sliding door windows should be able to be lowered. Seating should be re-configurable. For example, turn captain's seats to face rear, or swap bench to front / turn it backwards etc.

So far so good
By Lordgene

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I hear all the bad reviews about American cars, I am somewhat surprised. My 2002 Ford Windstar has been incredibly reliable. I learned a long time ago that doing regular maintenance like changing the oil and transmission fluids keeps most of the engine and transmission problems at bay. At 139,000 miles, I have put a total of $1200 in brakes. I have done regular maintenance and replaced one oxygen sensor.Once and while my interior lights will flash but then it goes away. I plan on driving to 200,000 miles. Will probably even more frequent maintenance in the future. Great vehicle. I highly recommend for a family.

Great power. Always starts.

tell consumers to change transmission fluids regularly. They won't have as many issues. Fix oxygen sensor problem and slight wiring issue.

This stinks
By ARTAZ

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this two months ago. Haven't drove it for 2 weeks straight without something going wrong. First check engine light ended up as spark plugs, wires and DPM sensor, now check engine is back on with cyldr 5 misfire, and now engine started knocking. had to flat bed back to MN from family trip to WI. I owe 5k on this thing, and I can afford the payment because I'm to busy fixing it. costs 700.00 to fix even before I made my first payment.

I love the inside, it was comfortable and it had a lot of cool features... I guess that's what I get for caring about the looks of it.

Ford seriously need to recall the engine on this thing and fix it's screw up.

Would I Buy It Again? Maybe
By Windstar Sport

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used in Oct,03.It had only 7600 miles on it. I have driven it up & down the I-5 probably at least 12(roundtrip) times. It has yet to fail me on the road. I love the versatility of using it for people, animals, & camping. However, I have spent at least $6,000 on repairs; transmission went out at 89,000 miles. Alternator went out last year. Some computer stuff, too. My brake light & parking brake stays on all the time. Cost 1700 to fix & still can't get the light to turn off. I just paid the car off in Sept/09. Can't afford a new car at this time, so I take good care of it. People still tell me it looks brand new. Next van I get I want seats that go into the floor,

Tire gauge; has both cd & tape deck

Just get the mechanics of it all to last longer

thanks for nothing Ford
By dennis m

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased with the expectation that it would last for maybe 150,000 miles has been a nonstop headache. on third power steering pump, constant electronics problems, $3200 spent on tranny rebuild, two bad door lock actuators, thank you Ford for ripping me and my family off. I did not think I could afford a Honda but have found out I could'nt afford not to by one. what are we supposed to do now? this Windstar is worthless is now in the shop because of water leak been fun hauling kids in kingcab Nissan all week.

You're kidding right?