2002 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Ambushed! 'Til $4K do us part.
By fivelks on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this unit in '04; lots of candy like the entertainment unit for our son just out of sixth grade at the time. My first minivan. It's been pretty solid up until this past August, when, like so many folks have written here, the thing simply collapsed. We'd loved the ride and the space; not so bothered at having to move the bulky back bench, since I'm a band director and it gave me room for tubas or drums when needed. Took it to the east coast several times. Did not expect all things to fold as they did this fall; all so simultaneously! Disappointing. PRICEY. Head gasket, brakes, alternator (did myself), then a.c. this week. The distance tow plus the repairs: $4000. Tradin' time!

Still happy after 8 years!
By Mom's Taxi on 06/03/10 15:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Windstar new and it's been a great vehicle for 8 years. Now has 140,000 and still going strong. Originally bought an extended warranty which covered few minor problems up to 60k miles. Then practically nothing but routine maintenance needed after the warranty expired. New spark plugs & wires at 120k miles. Overall it has been an excellent vehicle that still looks and runs great. This convinces me that if you do ALL recommended maintenance your vehicle can last forever. I have the problem with the brake light and ABS light staying on. Apparently it's related to the recall for the speed control issue, working to resolve that.

So far so good
By Lordgene on 04/11/10 17:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I hear all the bad reviews about American cars, I am somewhat surprised. My 2002 Ford Windstar has been incredibly reliable. I learned a long time ago that doing regular maintenance like changing the oil and transmission fluids keeps most of the engine and transmission problems at bay. At 139,000 miles, I have put a total of $1200 in brakes. I have done regular maintenance and replaced one oxygen sensor.Once and while my interior lights will flash but then it goes away. I plan on driving to 200,000 miles. Will probably even more frequent maintenance in the future. Great vehicle. I highly recommend for a family.

thanks for nothing Ford
By dennis m on 10/06/09 16:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased with the expectation that it would last for maybe 150,000 miles has been a nonstop headache. on third power steering pump, constant electronics problems, $3200 spent on tranny rebuild, two bad door lock actuators, thank you Ford for ripping me and my family off. I did not think I could afford a Honda but have found out I could'nt afford not to by one. what are we supposed to do now? this Windstar is worthless is now in the shop because of water leak been fun hauling kids in kingcab Nissan all week.

With regrets
By jdy on 01/13/09 11:55 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned this used 2002 Windstar 3 months. It has 80,000 miles. Thought I had done my homework, because I read that the 2002 was more reliable for drive train than Windstar of other years. While I was driving, the car seemed to shift into neutral, leaving me stranded in the middle of no where. Our trusty mechanic says we need another transmission $2100 - $2600. It is sickening that Ford would put their name on a product so horrific.

Used Car Shopping? Keep looking!
By Northern Mom on 11/17/08 08:42 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

With finances in disarray, we hoped we would get something reliable and reasonable. Purchased with 87,000 miles, this van is neither. Repairs are constant, steering is off, engine repairs non-stop, ABS brake lights come on everytime we hit a pothole and fifteen brake codes up at the dealership. We've had problems like the transmission blew in the first week, leaking manifold, broken clip,a hose about to go? If you have 2k to add in, might make it a few years more but you can do better than this dog. Way too much money to spend on a sinking ship..Weird second row seat - not easy with kids and pets. Stinky exhaust, very expensive every time I go in with it.

American Value!
By Johann on 11/03/08 15:13 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this vehicle used nearly 2 years ago, with 50,000 miles. No problems at all with this van. 20mpg, powerful engine and tows our folding camper with ease. The kids love it and we all appreciate how comfortable it is to drive, for short or long trips. Test drove the Sienna, but when we asked about its ability to tow our large folding camper, the toyota salesmen told us not to buy the Sienna. We have considered buying a new SUV, but we cant justify it. This van does everything well and costs nothing to own. Best value out there and solidly built. Way to go Ford!

Bad Gas, Good Power!
By Lucky on 06/20/08 13:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van in 2004 and have had it since. I have had no major engine problems, the gas mileage is horrible 16 city and 20 highway, my sisters GMC Envoy does better than that. I would recomend this van. I like it better then any other van. I'm looking at trading it in now because the trade in value stinks. I paid $15,000 for mine and now it is worth $4,500. I bought it with 20,000 miles and it now has 101,000. I would recomend this van to any one, just be prepared to spend money in gas, at $4.00 a gallon it cost me $104 to fill the tank.

Not Great...Not Bad
By dragonfly052172 on 10/24/05 14:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Great for first couple of years ... then it wears out. Electronics start to go. Rear wiper motor -- gone! Trim and door hardware start to come off. Interior is just plain ol' cheap. So don't buy unless it's for the long haul. Because it depreciates too fast. Oh yeah, gas mileage of 20 mpg on highway! Not good at all.

Best Value I've found
By vanfan on 08/11/05 11:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have an '02 and had a '96 prior. both have been quite reliable. the '02 was only to the dealer 2 times in 3 years (once under warranty). My brother has had his Odyssey in as many times, and paid a WHOLE bunch more for the van. Great for towing our folding camper as well. I highly recommend!