Used 2002 Ford Windstar SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Ambushed! 'Til $4K do us part.
By fivelks

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this unit in '04; lots of candy like the entertainment unit for our son just out of sixth grade at the time. My first minivan. It's been pretty solid up until this past August, when, like so many folks have written here, the thing simply collapsed. We'd loved the ride and the space; not so bothered at having to move the bulky back bench, since I'm a band director and it gave me room for tubas or drums when needed. Took it to the east coast several times. Did not expect all things to fold as they did this fall; all so simultaneously! Disappointing. PRICEY. Head gasket, brakes, alternator (did myself), then a.c. this week. The distance tow plus the repairs: $4000. Tradin' time!

Favorite Features

Ride, room, general 360 visibility, entertainment unit (video viewer/screen connect fritzed, however in around '06 or '07), even the appearance was really rather cool with Ford's ginger-gold on this SE. Mich Destiny tires made for nice handling.

Suggested Improvements

How about a vehicle with less science given to it's planned obsolescence? This sucker has simply imploded. Was vigilant about standard maintenance, oil changes, checkups. AC bearings were roaring until $1000 later this weekend (of course Sears replaced entire ac system); still a clacking in susp.

Still happy after 8 years!
By Mom's Taxi

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Windstar new and it's been a great vehicle for 8 years. Now has 140,000 and still going strong. Originally bought an extended warranty which covered few minor problems up to 60k miles. Then practically nothing but routine maintenance needed after the warranty expired. New spark plugs & wires at 120k miles. Overall it has been an excellent vehicle that still looks and runs great. This convinces me that if you do ALL recommended maintenance your vehicle can last forever. I have the problem with the brake light and ABS light staying on. Apparently it's related to the recall for the speed control issue, working to resolve that.

Favorite Features

Comfortable driver seat. Power side doors are great.

Suggested Improvements

Too bad they're not making them anymore.

So far so good
By Lordgene

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I hear all the bad reviews about American cars, I am somewhat surprised. My 2002 Ford Windstar has been incredibly reliable. I learned a long time ago that doing regular maintenance like changing the oil and transmission fluids keeps most of the engine and transmission problems at bay. At 139,000 miles, I have put a total of $1200 in brakes. I have done regular maintenance and replaced one oxygen sensor.Once and while my interior lights will flash but then it goes away. I plan on driving to 200,000 miles. Will probably even more frequent maintenance in the future. Great vehicle. I highly recommend for a family.

Favorite Features

Great power. Always starts.

Suggested Improvements

tell consumers to change transmission fluids regularly. They won't have as many issues. Fix oxygen sensor problem and slight wiring issue.

thanks for nothing Ford
By dennis m

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased with the expectation that it would last for maybe 150,000 miles has been a nonstop headache. on third power steering pump, constant electronics problems, $3200 spent on tranny rebuild, two bad door lock actuators, thank you Ford for ripping me and my family off. I did not think I could afford a Honda but have found out I could'nt afford not to by one. what are we supposed to do now? this Windstar is worthless is now in the shop because of water leak been fun hauling kids in kingcab Nissan all week.

Favorite Features

You're kidding right?

Suggested Improvements

Honda or Toyota

With regrets
By jdy

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned this used 2002 Windstar 3 months. It has 80,000 miles. Thought I had done my homework, because I read that the 2002 was more reliable for drive train than Windstar of other years. While I was driving, the car seemed to shift into neutral, leaving me stranded in the middle of no where. Our trusty mechanic says we need another transmission $2100 - $2600. It is sickening that Ford would put their name on a product so horrific.