2002 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Weird Engine Noise
By frustrated69 on 10/06/11 08:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

So I over payed from a crook used car dealer.....I hear about a lot of issues.....i call the dealer and they tell me there are no recalls. So yesterday I'm leaving a stop and I hear a pinging noise.....and I think nothing of it....now it does it when the car gets warm......and I'm pretty sure it is not the engine as it doesn't do it in park.......transmission? Lets not forget that I called the dealer about the brake issues and they told me its not on the recall list and the dang brake and ABS lights go on and off like fireworks.

This stinks
By ARTAZ on 01/03/10 12:17 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this two months ago. Haven't drove it for 2 weeks straight without something going wrong. First check engine light ended up as spark plugs, wires and DPM sensor, now check engine is back on with cyldr 5 misfire, and now engine started knocking. had to flat bed back to MN from family trip to WI. I owe 5k on this thing, and I can afford the payment because I'm to busy fixing it. costs 700.00 to fix even before I made my first payment.

never let me down
By FrankieB on 09/08/09 20:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My father bought the van new in 2002. He lived in Montana and and had 54,000 miles of rough road driving on it. I inherited in 2005 & drove it to Florida. It never let me down. I would still be driving it if, it was not totaled in an accident in Sept. 2009 with 99,800 miles on it. I was rear end at 60mph and I walked away without a scratch. I was bummed they could not fix it. My only issue with the van was the ABS lights. Nothing wrong with the brakes but the light would stay on. Never had to spend $$ on repairs that were not normal maintenance.

transmission failure
By Denise on 07/29/09 07:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Ford Motor Company has been notorious for building poor quality cars that do not last past 100,000 miles. This van is no exception to their "Fix Or Repair Daily" reputation. We purchased the Windstar used with 60,000 miles on it, figuring we'd at least make it to 100,000 before anything substantial went wrong. I use the van to drive my homeschooled children to their many activities and I drive the speed-limit while doing so. Aside from the various annoying problems, we have just experienced transmission failure at 83,000 miles. And from my research, we were lucky to get that much from the van. I've seen reports of failure on this model starting at 30,000 miles!! Ford should pay, yet...

Ford Windstar
By Ford lover on 07/13/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used with 27,000 Miles on it.I flushed transmission at purchase and added X-1R additive to motor also.So far done this 4 times. It now has 228,000 miles. Only repairs so far are alternator, power stearing pump, 2 front bearings, throtle body sensor, MAF sensor, cruise control cable. All other systems are still going so far. I believe good maintenance is the secret and changing fluids regularly including flushing AC system.

Not Very Happy
By Gandy82 on 06/14/09 13:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We had no problems with this van up until 5 months ago and it has been a money pit since. Th OD lights has flashed while going through TN and EGR Valve light will not stay off even after replacing the valve and sensor. Now it is reading clylinder 1 missfire which is in the rear of the engine and not easy to get to. I will never buy another Ford mini van ever again.Oh yeah..the ac compressor went out and the control switch to the heater and ac went out also. BIG $$$$$. Oh yeah...I will never buy another Ford mini van ever again.

Rolling Bar
By Dustlyman on 09/29/08 19:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Well this '02 is my 2nd Ford Windstar, my first one was a '00. Both were used from my wife's grandpa. So when they hit 50,000 he sold them to me. So I have been pimpin Windstars for the past 5 years. Got to say I love the space. I take out the middle seat and leave them out, leave in the back ones (no kids yet) friend/family say it's like a limo. Just throw whatever I want in the middle, it's great for groceries, trips to home Depot/Lowes. Also makes it easy to mix drinks out of. If you take out all of the seats you have a reg cab pick-up with a cover. As far as any problems, none got 88,500 on it now. Excellent in the snow. A/C, heater works great

Last Word
By grrover on 03/19/08 10:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Well I after reading these reviews before I bought the car I thought gee everyone is pretty positive. I bought the car I was happy for about three years great van and I have owned three Caravans before. The Ford was lot more comfortable on the highway and lot more preppy. But whoa! When it hit the fourth year the thing just started to fall apart! I have spent over $ 5000 on repairs in the last year! $2,500 in one month alone. My mechanic says hey its cheaper than buying a new car! Sure its lining his pockets. The he tells me that my engine shaking is a a minor engine overhaul for replacing the head gaskets a mere $1,200. I decided to trade it in on a new Outback this week.

Would someone please crush this van
By Why oh why did I buy on 10/31/07 20:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Suckered in by a low purchase price used - $12,000 with only 20k miles. The steep depreciation should have been a clue. Lumbering handling, decent acceleration, 20 mpg. Eats brake rotors and various other expensive things. Cupholder jumps up and down wildly. Transmission occasionally misses a shift, and pauses in an apparent neutral state for a second while the engine freely revs to the sky. To top it off, two months ago the anti-lock and brake warning lights turn on after the engine warms up. Ford dealer says it's the speed control module, and it ain't cheap. Power windows quit about the same time. I keep hoping someone would just steal it. Sickening ownership experience.

Minor problems but do not recommend
By Jozsef on 02/17/07 12:59 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We did not have any major problems but generally not happy. I just had the second front break replacement at 35000 miles and the front tires a few months ago. Has very bad fuel efficiency in city driving for short distances. Last year, when we drive to Disneyland, the engine lights were coming on and off like an xmas tree. Even now, the service engine light comes and goes.