Used 2002 Ford Windstar LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Weird Engine Noise
By frustrated69

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

So I over payed from a crook used car dealer.....I hear about a lot of issues.....i call the dealer and they tell me there are no recalls. So yesterday I'm leaving a stop and I hear a pinging noise.....and I think nothing of it....now it does it when the car gets warm......and I'm pretty sure it is not the engine as it doesn't do it in park.......transmission? Lets not forget that I called the dealer about the brake issues and they told me its not on the recall list and the dang brake and ABS lights go on and off like fireworks.

Suggested Improvements

Buy back all of them

This stinks
By ARTAZ

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this two months ago. Haven't drove it for 2 weeks straight without something going wrong. First check engine light ended up as spark plugs, wires and DPM sensor, now check engine is back on with cyldr 5 misfire, and now engine started knocking. had to flat bed back to MN from family trip to WI. I owe 5k on this thing, and I can afford the payment because I'm to busy fixing it. costs 700.00 to fix even before I made my first payment.

Favorite Features

I love the inside, it was comfortable and it had a lot of cool features... I guess that's what I get for caring about the looks of it.

Suggested Improvements

Ford seriously need to recall the engine on this thing and fix it's screw up.

never let me down
By FrankieB

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My father bought the van new in 2002. He lived in Montana and and had 54,000 miles of rough road driving on it. I inherited in 2005 & drove it to Florida. It never let me down. I would still be driving it if, it was not totaled in an accident in Sept. 2009 with 99,800 miles on it. I was rear end at 60mph and I walked away without a scratch. I was bummed they could not fix it. My only issue with the van was the ABS lights. Nothing wrong with the brakes but the light would stay on. Never had to spend $$ on repairs that were not normal maintenance.

Favorite Features

Removable seats, tow package, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

transmission failure
By Denise

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Ford Motor Company has been notorious for building poor quality cars that do not last past 100,000 miles. This van is no exception to their "Fix Or Repair Daily" reputation. We purchased the Windstar used with 60,000 miles on it, figuring we'd at least make it to 100,000 before anything substantial went wrong. I use the van to drive my homeschooled children to their many activities and I drive the speed-limit while doing so. Aside from the various annoying problems, we have just experienced transmission failure at 83,000 miles. And from my research, we were lucky to get that much from the van. I've seen reports of failure on this model starting at 30,000 miles!! Ford should pay, yet...

Favorite Features

There is no feature in this car that cannot be had for the same money in any other brand vehicle that will maintain quality and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Ford must declare their transmissions to be faulty or admit to the poor craftsmanship and extend the warranty of transmissions to 100,000, at least. Never buy any Ford, Ever!

Ford Windstar
By Ford lover

2002 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used with 27,000 Miles on it.I flushed transmission at purchase and added X-1R additive to motor also.So far done this 4 times. It now has 228,000 miles. Only repairs so far are alternator, power stearing pump, 2 front bearings, throtle body sensor, MAF sensor, cruise control cable. All other systems are still going so far. I believe good maintenance is the secret and changing fluids regularly including flushing AC system.