Used 2002 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

NOT THE VAN JUST LUCK OF THE DRAW
By minerissues79

2002 Ford Windstar LX Deluxe 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

me and my wife just had issues with our dodge minivan motor went befor that tranny went 10,000 befor that in total it had 165,000 when it was retired so we were in trouble no 6kids and i was let go from job after 16yrs thanks obama/bush? both did it so no money no car got job at local fast food joint saved and found the windstar at local dealer about 3months ago for 1thousand dollars my wife was worried it needed little rust repair but didnt scare me off dodge had same issue and paid 5times the money for it so got it fixed it runs good for yr drives good to no probs has little tick in motor but all cars seem to over 150,000 oh yeah it had 178tho just miles not b nuyn new soon keep02 4me

the captin chairs in back middle consule in front none in old van auto doors vcp system plenty of room and dont look half bad for a van like the traction control second car i owned with it works great i think i love the van inside and out i fixed the rust going to go get paint next week and a full tune up and i know we will be good for over 200,000

use better metals so wont rust so fast seems all vans have same issue in that department if you ever had dodge and got in to windstar after you would pick it hands down there plan jane and have more issues then ford but inculsion its a van thing both have issues ive read and lived in dodge tranny and motor rocker panels cv joint battery altenator etc so im staying away from dodge and dont start me on chevys if you get a venture u betta have a harness and strong back cuz you will def be pilling the kidos around in it so wind star i bought a high mileage one with sum rust on it but i do it again if needed or found another for price thanks ford you made my family happy

Weird Engine Noise
By frustrated69

2002 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

So I over payed from a crook used car dealer.....I hear about a lot of issues.....i call the dealer and they tell me there are no recalls. So yesterday I'm leaving a stop and I hear a pinging noise.....and I think nothing of it....now it does it when the car gets warm......and I'm pretty sure it is not the engine as it doesn't do it in park.......transmission? Lets not forget that I called the dealer about the brake issues and they told me its not on the recall list and the dang brake and ABS lights go on and off like fireworks.

Buy back all of them

Not bad for the years
By FordNuts

2002 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The SEL was the cat's meow back then, leather seats, VCR/CD combo, seats 6, slider doors. Over the years we took the car everywhere and it was fairly reliable, 167K miles. It's doesn't handle like a truck and offered smoother and quieter ride, but sometimes stressed systems wore down. Replaced heat coil 2X, alternator 1X, battery 2X, frt. brakes and tires 3-4 times, & one slider failed. Just brought in for recall(s) on the back axle and it failed. It supposedly is a fairly low percentage of failures, but could be catastrophic if your axle fails.

Leather seats, back lumbar support in driver's seat, adjustable front seats, VCR combo/entertainment for kids, roof rack, easy console

Emergency break issues, slider reliability, Check engine light issues, and lately the Check Trans light and O/D warning light came, and now back axle failing. Got our miles out of it. Ford appears to be offering a buy out on car, may take them up on it.

Ambushed! 'Til $4K do us part.
By fivelks

2002 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this unit in '04; lots of candy like the entertainment unit for our son just out of sixth grade at the time. My first minivan. It's been pretty solid up until this past August, when, like so many folks have written here, the thing simply collapsed. We'd loved the ride and the space; not so bothered at having to move the bulky back bench, since I'm a band director and it gave me room for tubas or drums when needed. Took it to the east coast several times. Did not expect all things to fold as they did this fall; all so simultaneously! Disappointing. PRICEY. Head gasket, brakes, alternator (did myself), then a.c. this week. The distance tow plus the repairs: $4000. Tradin' time!

Ride, room, general 360 visibility, entertainment unit (video viewer/screen connect fritzed, however in around '06 or '07), even the appearance was really rather cool with Ford's ginger-gold on this SE. Mich Destiny tires made for nice handling.

How about a vehicle with less science given to it's planned obsolescence? This sucker has simply imploded. Was vigilant about standard maintenance, oil changes, checkups. AC bearings were roaring until $1000 later this weekend (of course Sears replaced entire ac system); still a clacking in susp.

Still happy after 8 years!
By Mom's Taxi

2002 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Windstar new and it's been a great vehicle for 8 years. Now has 140,000 and still going strong. Originally bought an extended warranty which covered few minor problems up to 60k miles. Then practically nothing but routine maintenance needed after the warranty expired. New spark plugs & wires at 120k miles. Overall it has been an excellent vehicle that still looks and runs great. This convinces me that if you do ALL recommended maintenance your vehicle can last forever. I have the problem with the brake light and ABS light staying on. Apparently it's related to the recall for the speed control issue, working to resolve that.

Comfortable driver seat. Power side doors are great.

Too bad they're not making them anymore.