2002 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
NOT THE VAN JUST LUCK OF THE DRAW
By minerissues79 on 03/27/12 23:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar LX Deluxe 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

me and my wife just had issues with our dodge minivan motor went befor that tranny went 10,000 befor that in total it had 165,000 when it was retired so we were in trouble no 6kids and i was let go from job after 16yrs thanks obama/bush? both did it so no money no car got job at local fast food joint saved and found the windstar at local dealer about 3months ago for 1thousand dollars my wife was worried it needed little rust repair but didnt scare me off dodge had same issue and paid 5times the money for it so got it fixed it runs good for yr drives good to no probs has little tick in motor but all cars seem to over 150,000 oh yeah it had 178tho just miles not b nuyn new soon keep02 4me

Weird Engine Noise
By frustrated69 on 10/06/11 08:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

So I over payed from a crook used car dealer.....I hear about a lot of issues.....i call the dealer and they tell me there are no recalls. So yesterday I'm leaving a stop and I hear a pinging noise.....and I think nothing of it....now it does it when the car gets warm......and I'm pretty sure it is not the engine as it doesn't do it in park.......transmission? Lets not forget that I called the dealer about the brake issues and they told me its not on the recall list and the dang brake and ABS lights go on and off like fireworks.

Not bad for the years
By FordNuts on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The SEL was the cat's meow back then, leather seats, VCR/CD combo, seats 6, slider doors. Over the years we took the car everywhere and it was fairly reliable, 167K miles. It's doesn't handle like a truck and offered smoother and quieter ride, but sometimes stressed systems wore down. Replaced heat coil 2X, alternator 1X, battery 2X, frt. brakes and tires 3-4 times, & one slider failed. Just brought in for recall(s) on the back axle and it failed. It supposedly is a fairly low percentage of failures, but could be catastrophic if your axle fails.

Ambushed! 'Til $4K do us part.
By fivelks on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this unit in '04; lots of candy like the entertainment unit for our son just out of sixth grade at the time. My first minivan. It's been pretty solid up until this past August, when, like so many folks have written here, the thing simply collapsed. We'd loved the ride and the space; not so bothered at having to move the bulky back bench, since I'm a band director and it gave me room for tubas or drums when needed. Took it to the east coast several times. Did not expect all things to fold as they did this fall; all so simultaneously! Disappointing. PRICEY. Head gasket, brakes, alternator (did myself), then a.c. this week. The distance tow plus the repairs: $4000. Tradin' time!

Still happy after 8 years!
By Mom's Taxi on 06/03/10 15:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Windstar new and it's been a great vehicle for 8 years. Now has 140,000 and still going strong. Originally bought an extended warranty which covered few minor problems up to 60k miles. Then practically nothing but routine maintenance needed after the warranty expired. New spark plugs & wires at 120k miles. Overall it has been an excellent vehicle that still looks and runs great. This convinces me that if you do ALL recommended maintenance your vehicle can last forever. I have the problem with the brake light and ABS light staying on. Apparently it's related to the recall for the speed control issue, working to resolve that.

Transmission failure @ 85,000
By Tim on 05/28/10 14:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new as a dealer orphan and got a good deal. Have been satisfied with reliability, economy and utility until now. O/D light started flashing and check transmission warning came on. The dreaded Windstar tranny failure strikes. Very disappointing because we were hoping to push to 100k before major repairs. The van has been dealer maintained, garaged all its life, well cared for, and 50% of the mileage is long distance. We'll suck it in and pay $3k for a remanufactured tranny with 3yrs / 100k miles warranty. And then pray the engine isn't next. Time to start using high mileage additives for safety.

So far so good
By Lordgene on 04/11/10 17:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I hear all the bad reviews about American cars, I am somewhat surprised. My 2002 Ford Windstar has been incredibly reliable. I learned a long time ago that doing regular maintenance like changing the oil and transmission fluids keeps most of the engine and transmission problems at bay. At 139,000 miles, I have put a total of $1200 in brakes. I have done regular maintenance and replaced one oxygen sensor.Once and while my interior lights will flash but then it goes away. I plan on driving to 200,000 miles. Will probably even more frequent maintenance in the future. Great vehicle. I highly recommend for a family.

This stinks
By ARTAZ on 01/03/10 12:17 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this two months ago. Haven't drove it for 2 weeks straight without something going wrong. First check engine light ended up as spark plugs, wires and DPM sensor, now check engine is back on with cyldr 5 misfire, and now engine started knocking. had to flat bed back to MN from family trip to WI. I owe 5k on this thing, and I can afford the payment because I'm to busy fixing it. costs 700.00 to fix even before I made my first payment.

Would I Buy It Again? Maybe
By Windstar Sport on 12/29/09 21:26 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used in Oct,03.It had only 7600 miles on it. I have driven it up & down the I-5 probably at least 12(roundtrip) times. It has yet to fail me on the road. I love the versatility of using it for people, animals, & camping. However, I have spent at least $6,000 on repairs; transmission went out at 89,000 miles. Alternator went out last year. Some computer stuff, too. My brake light & parking brake stays on all the time. Cost 1700 to fix & still can't get the light to turn off. I just paid the car off in Sept/09. Can't afford a new car at this time, so I take good care of it. People still tell me it looks brand new. Next van I get I want seats that go into the floor,

thanks for nothing Ford
By dennis m on 10/06/09 16:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased with the expectation that it would last for maybe 150,000 miles has been a nonstop headache. on third power steering pump, constant electronics problems, $3200 spent on tranny rebuild, two bad door lock actuators, thank you Ford for ripping me and my family off. I did not think I could afford a Honda but have found out I could'nt afford not to by one. what are we supposed to do now? this Windstar is worthless is now in the shop because of water leak been fun hauling kids in kingcab Nissan all week.