2001 Ford Windstar Consumer Review: Love my windstar~hate poor eng

2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Review

SE Sport Passenger Minivan (3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Love my windstar~hate poor engineering on recent recalls~ford is handling this wrong
By teh1223 on

2001 Ford Windstar SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our windstar in 2002 with 14,000 miles 2nd owner. I love my minivan. It is comfortable and gets good gas mileage. works well weather I am hauling people or cargo. has 165,000 on it but in new transmission at 154,000. no other no big problems just small stuff. But now with the rear axle and the front sub frame rust problems just don't know. Ford says it is safe to drive. fix will be months. Husband who is machinist and brother mechanic says the motor mount on pass side is split. We had planned to keep this van for a couple of more years. But husband says it is gone. I have always had a ford and now it looks like I am getting a Chrysler. Yuck! Freestar is the same chasis.

reliability, comfort and space, handles well in snow and rain. quad seating great. dual ac/heat controls. Engine is strong and reliable. well maintained could easily do 200,000 on engine.

recent recall & the way ford has handled the problem. Rear axle &front subframe can't handle the salt and are rusting. design that allows the a/c water to run down on the passenger side frame in front wasn't great design. The transmission is notorious for going out around 80-100,000 miles. We watched ours and made 154k when it slipped. most people don't get that lucky. Ford should be buying me out or finding a way to fix this that replaces our problem and they should stand behind the fix more than 12 months or 12,000 miles? This says they don't think they have fixed it yet. I should have got new axle not a brace. They still aren't sure on the front and parts are months from coming.