Used 2001 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

New Transmission at 36,000!
By Ken

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We got this van because of the great safety rating and our growing family. However, it needed a new transmission at 36,000 miles...just after the warranty ran out. The Ford dealership and national Ford office were no help at all. This is the LAST Ford I will ever buy! Even though I'm very patriotic, I'm looking to the Japanese car companies now, as their quality and reliability are so much better. American Car companies need to get with the program and make some quality cars!

Ice-cold air, handles well on the highway, and good storage.

MPG is poor, overall quality and reliability have been poor.

Good machine
By Bill

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a very good van. Hauls a goodly load, pulls the boat, and have had no maintenance issues at all. Bought it used for $7,500 in 2003 at a cheapo used car dealer and it has taken us on many a trip. Now has 139,000 miles. This has been one of the best car values I have ever owned. Reading some of the other reviews I see some real disappointments in this very auto. It seems Detroit's big problem is being consistently good, not hit-or-miss in quality. The engine has always been noisy in the cabin, and that would be my only complaint.

Runs and runs with an occasional service stop for oil change.

Lots of problems
By ng

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good van to drive when it works. I've had my Windstar for 60K miles and have experienced all kinds of problems. Recurring problems with the air intake system. The transmission gave out at 60K miles. I was told there are serious design flaws in both the air intake system and transmission. Power rear doors and power locks stick. The power steering pump gave out. Never again!

Good looking. Nice to drive when it works. Plenty of space.

Fix the mechanical flaws. Add an external antenna; my AM reception is terrible with the internal antenna.

Pretty good car but no more Fords 4 me
By QBOY

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have always driven American cars except for my 97 Toyota Land Cruiser. I bought my Windstar in 2001 when I had two car seats for the kids. Today, five years on, the car runs fine and has served us well but it simply is not wearing well. We have had no problems mechanically -- everything works but things are aging badly. All door hinges -- especially rear gate -- take too much effort. Transmission is okay but not great. The point of mentioning my 97 Toyota (with 100K on it) is that it feels way more solid and drives better than the van. Granted, the Toy is also worth twice the Ford at this point but I'd rather drive a used Toy than a new Ford. So, I doubt that I will ever buy another.

Huge interior. Great safety. Good engine has enough power even when loaded down.

Better build quality perhaps?

First Van
By Phillip

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Hard to find a van with such great features and an attractive look. We looked for months to catch a great deal and what a deal we got. Bought it 5 years used and still looked brand new. Lots of power and love the easy oil changes compared to my 2001 Ford ZX2 (oil filter almost impossible to remove) that I currently own as well. Have newborn twins and a 3 year old and it fits them all nicely and the strollers and groceries as well. Overall it has impressed this Ford Man!

6-disc changer, quad seating, power everything, lots of storage room, and great looking alloy rims.

Better fuel economy, I thought a huge tank would last longer.

• SUV