2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Solid Mini-Van
By Ben Whitehead on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

No problems whatsoever in the time we've owned it. Very strong 3.8 V6, with all the passing power I need. Quiet, comfortable. It's a mini-van, what more do you want?

disappointed to say the least
By anewman on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

virtually every feature on the windstar that is supposed to make my life easier has broken down. we have had our new van in the shop about 10 times for recalls or repairs. very disappointed

Bill's Windstar SE Review
By Bill Hughes on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Windstar is a very utilitarian vehicle. It has a great safety rating and seems to be a very solidly built vehicle. The motor is quite powerful with the 3.8 V-6, however the transmission/ shifting seems to be a little rough at times. I got the 0% financing for 60 months - that helped close the deal. I am also a Ford man. I don't like most GM vehicles and I don't trust Chrysler/ Dodge reliability. (Caravans used to have a reputation for early transmission failures.)

Transmisson needs to be FIX
By Samantha Smith on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

well i bought one and i had only had it 2 month at 17000 miles on it and the trans mission went out i have had a ford van before and every time i take a trip with it the transmission gose out..so right now i am driving a rental car because my new VAN is in the place at 17000 miles getting a new transmission and the rental car thats a ford even sounds like it trasnmission is about to go out... Thank you

2001 Windstar Ltd. - WoW
By Kitzyb on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We love this vehicle. It has performed above our expectations. The only problems we have had are minor interior items. One head rest needed upholstery attention and one light switch needed some. My husband fixed the light with his pocket knife while riding as a passenger. Great for long trips with the kids. We have had over 6 - 1000+ mile trips in last 19 months.

2001 Windstar LX
By jfm166 on 09/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

decent car. noisy, but reliable. virtually no mtce in 55K miles. some fit/finish problems.

Junk Burn your money first!
By Stonerat on 09/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but trouble. Ford bought back my 1996 and traded me for a 2001. This Van is no better and Fords Customer Service is a joke. Dealers can fix problems and are no help in getting Ford to help. Escalating the problem higher in the ford coporation is just a waste of time. They will make will try to convince you that the failed to please only in your case. Make your life simple Stay away from Windstars!

great van
By don juan on 09/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

best vehicle on the road....i would buy a million of them if i could!!!

Crappy Transmission as always....
By k1124 on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I worked for a company that gave me a free company car every year (20 in all). In 2001 I was laid off and needed a car quickly so I purchsed my company car at 26M. Now at 45M the transmission shutters from 3-4th gear. Every Winstar I ever had (6 in total) had a shuttering transmission. I thought by now they would have fixed it. Other than that it's been reliable.

Solid Performance
By galott on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I like the Windstar's interior and the van is great for our 3 kids. The only down side I have found so far is the van could use a bigger engine. Only has 190 hp.