2001 Ford Windstar LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2001 Windstar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Sort Reviews by

Very happy with the van
By cycledan

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Much less money than competing imports. In 3 years and 36000 miles no problems other than a check engine light caused by a bad sensor (EGR flow P0401) and covered by warranty. Good acceleration for a van, lots of room especially with back bench folded down or pulled out. Feels safe and solid to go along with 5 star crash rating.

Favorite Features

Strong engine, safe car and reliable at a reasonable price.

Suggested Improvements

Allow just glass in tailgate to open up. Collapsing rear bench like in new vans would have been nice.

Even Ford can't figure out whats wrong
By xFordMan

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Check engine light came on, fixed sensor for $150 at Ford dealer. Came on again in a week, had to pay for another diagnosis, but pointed again to sensor which was just repaced...dealer perplexed as to what could be worng said "its fine those lights always come on". Next ABS light and the red brake light came on together which according to the usre manual sidnals a fault in the ABS system...deal diagnosed again but could not figure out why those lights came on. This is a vehical with what could be nice features but it is not built to last. WE still owe $3600 on this beast and was hoping to have a few years w/o paymnets...I learned my lesson next time a Toyota.

Favorite Features

its almost paid for

Suggested Improvements

buy Nissan or Toyota

Never Again
By AFZ

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This was 2nd Windstar - traded 1st one because of electrical problems. Nothing's changed - dealer nor corporate engineers can fix. The way they get around the lemon law is to say it's always a different part. I have already got rid of my Ford Explorer and will do same with Windstar and will NEVER buy Ford again. Ford is also a customer of my manufacturing plant – they are the slowest payers and every year they dictate a lower price for products than they agreed to in writing. Lawsuit against Ford? They have more $ and put more manufacturers out of business than all other car companies. I don’t even care if I loose them as a customer.

Favorite Features

It actually has a nice comfortable ride, good pick up and roomy interior. But so do most other minivans.

Suggested Improvements

Get better engineers who are not spending most of their time trying to save their jobs because of their costly mistakes. This will save more $ than cutting vendor's prices so low they go out of business. Just have “top” management listen to competent tool & die makers.

Nothing but trouble
By Zeiler

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Continual electrical problems, just like last Ford Windstar. Will buy someone elses minivan next time.

Suggested Improvements

FIX THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM!!!!

Three Years Later
By GeorgeB

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Overall this Van performed pretty much as expected. There was a rating ding about the side pannel blocking sight which is my only safety complaint. For a van the vehicle did quite well. However, it took three years to fix the right rear sliding door. Even though the warranty was up the company honored the repair work (labor and parts) because they never were able to fix the thing until this month. (My lease is up next month) Traction control system went bad about thwo months ago and it took $600 dollars and a long time to fix.

Favorite Features

Back up warning beeper. CD in dash. Heated seats. VCR system. Storage capacity with thrid seat removed. Easy in and out.

Suggested Improvements

Right rear door remains a problem in that it took so long to get fixed. (3 years) Pillars blocking side sight. No casette player. Easier removal of seats in back. Road noise. Unable to see end of van and therefore difficult to gauge distance from front of van to parking limit.

Sadly disappointed
By boizmom

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Windstar we have been afflicted with. The first was a 1999 and we finally got rid of it because in the heat, the rear sliding doors would pop ajar. This new one has also had issues with the sliders ( the same issue). Now, I am finding plenty of little things going wrong. I am just tired of spending my time in the dealership. We have also discovered that the rear heating system is poorly designed. There is a vent aimed at the drivers' seat. So, when the kids are cold, but the driver is warm, too bad for the driver (or the kids)- the driver roasts while the kids still shiver.

Favorite Features

I LOVE the conversation mirror!

Suggested Improvements

Fix those darn doors!!! Redesign the rear heating system so that the heat is not sent directly up the back of the driver, but is distributed throughout the back of the vehicle.

estimate value
By William L Carlson

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great vehicle for me I have made three trips cross country and no problems. I have it serviced between 3000 & 5000 miles interior clean and witout damage exterior in good condition

Favorite Features

Easy in & out from all three doors

Suggested Improvements

Had a compass installed and would like a cd player

Good van
By Homeless ministry

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This van is the easiest for my friend with the bad knees to get into and out of. That and the need for room for charity work is why I bought it. Plenty of power. Had a few problems when I first bought it, but has 56000 miles on it and has never in over a month left me stranded or had any kind of breakdown. OK ride, some people think it is quiet, but I think is a little noisy and my friends Town and Country is smoother and quieter, but not as peppy.

Favorite Features

Can take a chest of drawers or sheet of plywood throught the back hatch. So easy to park and maneuver, yet so big inside. You should really get one even if you do not have kids cause you never know what you might want to stow. Love the big gas tank.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. 16 around town is not good enough, but that was before the intake manifold leak got fixed, maybe it is a little better now. Smoother quieter ride.

comfortable ride
By n2games

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

As the driver of this car, I find it more comfortable than any of the other cars I drive for work. I drive about 50,000 miles a year total. I rent cars about 1/2 the time. The windstar has plenty of power and room in the driver seat to get comfortable.

Favorite Features

electric seat and the center console that my version has. Don't know why they make them without a center console

Suggested Improvements

Seats easier to fold down in the back and to take out

Piece of Junk!
By Kim Oleman

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Windstar with 30,000 miles. We have had it 6 months. The electric seat adjuster went out the next day. The locks went out 1 month after purchase. The right sliding door does not stay shut at times. And now the transmission went out at 53,000 miles. I have never been so unhappy with a vehicle.

Favorite Features

The child rearview mirror.

Suggested Improvements

The back hatch is very heavy. Transmission. The automatic locks. The sliding doors. Everything about this vechicle.