Used 2001 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Just letting ya know
By Italian Family of 5

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When we first purchased the car at 80,000 miles we were very happy with it. We've taken it on one long drive from Colo to Calif with me with pnemonia (sp?) and it was confortable anyway. Now that we've owned it for 2 years we've only had to replace the ABS module, and brakes. Something weird is happening with the fuel getting down past 1/4 tank. It won't start as if it's out of gas. We just watch the fuel gage and all seems well. Drives well and we feel really safe during snow storms. Been through a couple of blizzards and only got stuck once. Tire pressure gauge is great letting us know when to get new tires or fill up the tires with air.

Favorite Features

Don't hear any of our boys yelling "he's touching me!" Great space for bringing boys' friends with us.

Suggested Improvements

Probably better gas mileage. It's about 18 mpg with now 114k miles on it.

Second Windstar
By Trimerus

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this Windstar new in 2001. It was our second, the first being a 2000 which we also still have. Now have 140,000 miles and have no issues with either. 23 mpg on the highway. Always starts. No repairs or tune ups have been needed, only 1 set of tires, one set of brake shoes and regular oil changes. I suspect that people who have had bad luck with Windstar have selected poor mechanics.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are heavy and awkward to remove.

Good vehicle that has a few problems.
By greg7100

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Comfortable, flexible van that serves us very well. We enjoy the mini van experience, but have been dissapointed with some major repair issues. Many brake problems and 2 failures, transmission was replaced at 144000 km, intake gaskets need to be replaced every 90000 km at about $700 per time. No other troubles aside from usual maintenance. The van is great for trips, you just never seem to run out of storage space. Towing my little utility trailer is a dream with the Windstar, you can hardly tell it is behind you.

Favorite Features

Large flexible storage area and convenient controls.

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure the newer self storing seats would look after the troulbe of removing seats to move large items. Improve brakes and intake gasket reliability. Improve base model handling.

Good Car
By Tom

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Well, the good thing is we bought the car used, July of last year. Since the car has been around for a while the few problems we have had, we could find the solution easily over the internet. Anyways we got the car for $2,800 and it has paid for itself 10 times over since then. It has a very comfortable ride, and it's safe. This car has given us less problems than the 07 Camry we bought last year.

Favorite Features

Cold air conditioning, great handling, lots of space, feels like an SUV rather than a van.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage

Another Terrible Ford Experience
By joneill

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford new and take great care of it.Several recalls then at 65K miles my rear axel cracked clean in half-rusted from inside and 1K for the fix. 3 months later the transmission died. Radiator also replaced-total 3,800 Now it is at 67K miles and took in today because radio won't turn off killing battery. Needs additional 500K for new fuse box and to patch leak. Will pick it up on Monday and take it as a trade in on a Toyota. Should have learned my lesson as my last Ford had to be towed out of my driveway at 80K. Husband's Ford needed a new engine at 55K miles. Have yet to have a good experience with Ford. I've finally learned my lesson!!

Favorite Features

Color

Suggested Improvements

Build a quality car that outlasts your competition. We would all like to support American companies, but Ford makes it very hard.