Used 2001 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Back to the imports
By pat McLaughlin

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van with ~ 70,000 miles in 2005. Did well until summer of 08 with 100,00 miles, leaving the Smokie Mts.. Torque Converter gasket blew spewing trany fluid on the poor guy behind me. Must say though that I am still running on same trany, just adding fluid every couple months. But at 85,000 brake sensor lights keep coming on for no apparent reason, the control for switching A.C. to Heat is not working, and oh when my Ford van found out that I was attempting to trade it in today, it decided to start spewing coolant.

Seats are comfortable, drove nice.

If a dealer will not take in trade (in mercy)will enter it into demo derby with great delight! Ford...you have not learned your lesson. Will not buy another Ford as any car should hold up past 100K.

Never buy one again
By Rich

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Engine light has been on since new. Dealer would not fix too expensive for no return they said. Piece of tape fixed problem. Never gone a day without something breaking down. Rear windows don't work, power locks do not work, rear defroster doesn't work. The list goes on. Never buy a Ford product again. Second vehicle an old Toyota no problems with it. They win my vote by by Ford. I learned a lot about my patience owning one of these. In dealership quite a lot.

Put some quality into your vehicles.

Loved my Windstar
By Beth

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Windstar new off the showroom floor. It did not have lots of bells & whistles but we bought it for the 5 star safety rating. We were just starting our family. It never left us stranded at the side of the road & it always started. We would have driven it til the wheels fell off but a deer had other ideas (it had 73,800 miles on it). I am very sad to see it go.

5 star safety rating.

Locks on the back doors not always work with the clicker.

Had many Fords before but.....
By Party of 4

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used with 71K miles. As we drove off the lot the engine light came on. The dealership we bought it from fixed it-twice. Little things such as sliding door sticking/not unlocking, passenger door lock sticking, & the rubber between the doors come off. Now we took a vacation 700 mies away & on the way back the tranny at 82k miles literally dropped when driving up major mountains in Southern OR. I've always been happy with Ford, but not too happy on this one. Will but will buy again

Roomy (6'3 hubby & 6'1 14yr old). Seats are comfy & wide range of adjustablilty. Auto sliding doors, removable seats, 4 captain seats. A lot considering I said I'd never drive a mini-van becauase I was too young & fun!

Fix tranny and give more attention to the little things that break & get a good reputation again!!

Only about average, but still a good buy
By CED

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van used and have had it about a year. No mechanical problems yet, always starts and drives fine. 3.8L V6 has plenty of power, but no sports car. Fuel mileage averages 20 mpg. Easy to drive for its size, controls are easily reached and logically laid out. Seats are average or better for comfort and the rear seats are roomy enough. Its hard to get into the rear seat, no lever that lets seats slide/tilt forward easily. Biggest complaint is noise. The engine is always loud. Ride is smooth enough but terribly loud. Wind noise also a problem. Owned a Sienna before that was much more refine as is typical for Toyota. Overall a good buy if used but otherwise performance is only average

Lots of cool features like power adustable pedals, back-up sensors and "kiddy mirror" that were not readily available on other cars of its day. I don't have the power doors but wish I did, lots of Windstars have them so try an find one that does.

This van would have been a real competitor if it had been more refined. There's a sense of implied quality when a vehicle is smooth and quiet.