Used 2001 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Never buy one again
By Rich

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Engine light has been on since new. Dealer would not fix too expensive for no return they said. Piece of tape fixed problem. Never gone a day without something breaking down. Rear windows don't work, power locks do not work, rear defroster doesn't work. The list goes on. Never buy a Ford product again. Second vehicle an old Toyota no problems with it. They win my vote by by Ford. I learned a lot about my patience owning one of these. In dealership quite a lot.

Put some quality into your vehicles.

Loved my Windstar
By Beth

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Windstar new off the showroom floor. It did not have lots of bells & whistles but we bought it for the 5 star safety rating. We were just starting our family. It never left us stranded at the side of the road & it always started. We would have driven it til the wheels fell off but a deer had other ideas (it had 73,800 miles on it). I am very sad to see it go.

5 star safety rating.

Locks on the back doors not always work with the clicker.

Had many Fords before but.....
By Party of 4

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used with 71K miles. As we drove off the lot the engine light came on. The dealership we bought it from fixed it-twice. Little things such as sliding door sticking/not unlocking, passenger door lock sticking, & the rubber between the doors come off. Now we took a vacation 700 mies away & on the way back the tranny at 82k miles literally dropped when driving up major mountains in Southern OR. I've always been happy with Ford, but not too happy on this one. Will but will buy again

Roomy (6'3 hubby & 6'1 14yr old). Seats are comfy & wide range of adjustablilty. Auto sliding doors, removable seats, 4 captain seats. A lot considering I said I'd never drive a mini-van becauase I was too young & fun!

Fix tranny and give more attention to the little things that break & get a good reputation again!!

Only about average, but still a good buy
By CED

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van used and have had it about a year. No mechanical problems yet, always starts and drives fine. 3.8L V6 has plenty of power, but no sports car. Fuel mileage averages 20 mpg. Easy to drive for its size, controls are easily reached and logically laid out. Seats are average or better for comfort and the rear seats are roomy enough. Its hard to get into the rear seat, no lever that lets seats slide/tilt forward easily. Biggest complaint is noise. The engine is always loud. Ride is smooth enough but terribly loud. Wind noise also a problem. Owned a Sienna before that was much more refine as is typical for Toyota. Overall a good buy if used but otherwise performance is only average

Lots of cool features like power adustable pedals, back-up sensors and "kiddy mirror" that were not readily available on other cars of its day. I don't have the power doors but wish I did, lots of Windstars have them so try an find one that does.

This van would have been a real competitor if it had been more refined. There's a sense of implied quality when a vehicle is smooth and quiet.

Good for only 90,000
By mike

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Do you notice some trends in these reviews. Mine is bad valve blowing oil and coolant everywhere. Expert Tire says it will take $680 to fix and flush refill fluids and clean it all up. Then they say the manifold and also tell me ford doesn't have parts. I will be checking this out. Why fix it? Look at all the review that follow up valve problems with blown transmissions! I have a hard time believing garage didn't see the manifold problem! Look at your price carefully! Consider these vans are great until about 90,000 and then a money pit. Expect tire and ford both rip you off! next time a Honda or Toyota it can't be any worse!

Great van until 90,000 roomy and comfortable.

How about some reliability!