2001 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews 5

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Very disappointed
By Ray on 08/26/05 00:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

In 4 years that we have had this car, we have in the past year put in over $3500. This includes $1200 for intake manifold problem where the oil leaked. Funny I saw the same problem noted also on this website review. Then a few months later we ended up replacing the engine at a cost of $2500 with Ford pitching in the other half. Now we are having to replace the ABS computer brain that controls the hydraulics for the brakes. That is $1200. The dealership has offered to work with us on this repair as well as offering us an option on purchasing another car with them like a Freestar. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED that this car would have had $5000 in repairs while under 85k miles.

can't trust it
By nomorefords on 08/18/05 16:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van new in '02. From the very day we bought it, it had electrical problems. In 3 years it had 11 electrical repairs. The power seat quit a few times, the dome lights quit a few times, the rear window blew in on a cold morning when defroster turned on. The windshield was replaced because it wouldn't seat properly. Dealer couldn't figure out electrical problem, so they replaced the entire wiring harness inside. After warranty expired the relay and wiper motor blew during heavy downpour (dealer fixed under warranty anyway). Other than too many electrical problems, we loved the van. Couldn't trust it anymore, traded it for a Honda Pilot.

2001 Ford Windstar LX
By Jactionville Marine on 04/02/05 22:04 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used. The 5 star safety rating was the big attraction. It has performed well and is very reliable. Had to put 2 new tires on at 40k miles. Previous owner had knocked wheels out of line and never had them realigned. My van doesn't have all the options that some of the Windstars have but that will be less to break in the future. I had one problem with a fuel metering valve that Ford replaced for free. It was covered under a technical service bulletin. I'd like better fuel economy but otherwise really like this vehicle.

Great van - very practical
By franz182 on 12/08/04 20:41 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Great utility and a little luxury go a long way - we have had no issues mechanically with the van. Only minor electrical problems (all under warranty) with the onboard VCR. We have 3 young kids - the remote sliding doors are a godsend. Easy to get in and out of - easy to load up and reasonable comfort and mileage. Great sound system and climate controls. Has stood up quite well for the abuse it has been given. Traction control works great on snowy days - very safe feeling dependable car. We leased it and elected to buy.

PLEASE!!! Buy something else
By TickedOff on 11/27/04 23:45 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

If this is Ford's idea of "quality is job one" then these should be built in China. Bought brand new, and on drive home from dealers lot fuel line came off gas tank. 1 week later both rear shocks go out (wasn't hauling anything). Had passenger sliding door seal replaced twice, as water was getting in cabin. At 37000 miles entire front rack had to be replaced (out of warranty). Have had approximately 8 sensors replaced (at $200 each). And at 70000 miles manifold gasket went out. All the while dealer and Ford say sorry but don't offer any reasonable compensation or replacement. Been driving Fords for 20 yrs... won't ever buy a Ford again!

A Quest For Room!
By evanshill on 10/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

After 2 weeks of grueling searches and comparison shopping..we found the Windstar to be the best value on the resale market. Let's face it, dealerships want a small fortune for someone's used high mile van! But here is semi-luxury combined with simple design. Parent friendly elements paired with style. Mostly it offers separation of our 3 children without feeling we are driving a city bus, yet there is still leg room for the 12 year old! The ride is quiet, the van handles a van.It seems only the husband feels it should handle like a sports car. I have previously owned Caravan and Aerostar (yikes!), I like the caravan for long life durability but am well pleased with my Windstar!

AWESOME
By Happy Happy on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Van to haul the family around and couldn't be happier about the purchase. Lots of room for kids and luggage. Never had any issues with engine or doors. Great with the gas mileage, handles well in ALL conditions. Use the Windstar for daily commutes as well as long trips and it does both well, feels like I'm sitting in my chair in the family room it's so comfortable.

Just another flawed design
By Bill Wilson on 08/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Over $1200.00 in repairs to figure out that Ford changed the valve covers causing oil to be sucked into the intake manifold and ruin all the seals and gaskets. Lot's of electrical problems w/ lights that come on from short circuits. Very bad design flaws. Slider doors don't stay lined up. To many bad things to list... stuck with a worthless, badly designed lemon.

Tranny gone @ 23,000 miles
By Thomasj on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this vehicle in April 2001 for over $30,000. It was been recalled at least 5 times the first year we had it. There was a grinding noise that we asked our servicing dealer about at least 3 times and were told was normal. We were just stranded 200 miles from home returning from vacation because the transmission spewed out all it's fluid at a stop light. 3 months out of warranty but only 23k miles. A $30k vehicle that lasts less than 4 years. Roadside assistance was a joke as well, offering to give me the name of a tow company but having to charge me $70. Third generation ford family will not replace this vehicle with another Ford. Honda next time.

Donald's windstar review
By Donald D. on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I, too am tired of spending so much time in the dealership. 37,000 miles are on the odometer and it has had 9 trips to the dealership. I once was an avid Ford fan. After this I'll never buy one again.