2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Best non soccer mom van ever!
By Jack on 03/05/07 14:48 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Powerful, nice looking, easy seat removal, holds resale value, 18-24 mpg was right on, tires wear great versus a lot of vans that wear out front tires. Lot of pick up and very comfortable. Radio iffy so replace with aftermarket. Otherwise a 10!

Transmission, O2 sensor, doors, problems
By Mikeeeee on 01/23/07 12:39 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, an attractive, comfortable van. Gas consumption is ok for a van. Some nice options available. Has plenty of power, compared to other small vans.

Stay away from this vehicle.
By Grace on 01/03/07 11:11 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Windstar in 2002 with 11,000 miles. We had to replace the transmission at 40,000 miles. We called Ford and they just pretty much told us too bad for you. They were trying out a new transmission and we were one of the unlucky ones. It gets horrible gas mileage and it seems to always be in the shop for the same problem. Next time it will be a Honda or Toyota for us! The Ford wind star is junk.

STAY AWAY FROM
By Invknight on 10/12/06 00:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Had a transmission replaced FIVE TIMES IN TWO AND A HALF YEARS - ONLY TWO WERE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. Horrible customer service cost me $8K in legal costs just to get out of vehicle and Ford was horrible - owned four Ford vehicles before this and WILL NEVER OWN one again after - even sold my FORD stock before it hit junk price, congrats Bill Ford - you know how to ruin a family name.

New Transmission at 36,000!
By Ken on 09/07/06 08:32 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We got this van because of the great safety rating and our growing family. However, it needed a new transmission at 36,000 miles...just after the warranty ran out. The Ford dealership and national Ford office were no help at all. This is the LAST Ford I will ever buy! Even though I'm very patriotic, I'm looking to the Japanese car companies now, as their quality and reliability are so much better. American Car companies need to get with the program and make some quality cars!

Good machine
By Bill on 07/22/06 12:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a very good van. Hauls a goodly load, pulls the boat, and have had no maintenance issues at all. Bought it used for $7,500 in 2003 at a cheapo used car dealer and it has taken us on many a trip. Now has 139,000 miles. This has been one of the best car values I have ever owned. Reading some of the other reviews I see some real disappointments in this very auto. It seems Detroit's big problem is being consistently good, not hit-or-miss in quality. The engine has always been noisy in the cabin, and that would be my only complaint.

Lots of problems
By ng on 05/11/06 10:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good van to drive when it works. I've had my Windstar for 60K miles and have experienced all kinds of problems. Recurring problems with the air intake system. The transmission gave out at 60K miles. I was told there are serious design flaws in both the air intake system and transmission. Power rear doors and power locks stick. The power steering pump gave out. Never again!

Pretty good car but no more Fords 4 me
By QBOY on 04/13/06 08:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have always driven American cars except for my 97 Toyota Land Cruiser. I bought my Windstar in 2001 when I had two car seats for the kids. Today, five years on, the car runs fine and has served us well but it simply is not wearing well. We have had no problems mechanically -- everything works but things are aging badly. All door hinges -- especially rear gate -- take too much effort. Transmission is okay but not great. The point of mentioning my 97 Toyota (with 100K on it) is that it feels way more solid and drives better than the van. Granted, the Toy is also worth twice the Ford at this point but I'd rather drive a used Toy than a new Ford. So, I doubt that I will ever buy another.

First Van
By Phillip on 03/26/06 22:15 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Hard to find a van with such great features and an attractive look. We looked for months to catch a great deal and what a deal we got. Bought it 5 years used and still looked brand new. Lots of power and love the easy oil changes compared to my 2001 Ford ZX2 (oil filter almost impossible to remove) that I currently own as well. Have newborn twins and a 3 year old and it fits them all nicely and the strollers and groceries as well. Overall it has impressed this Ford Man!

no more Fords here
By justin on 09/13/05 00:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Rear fan for A/C and heating goes out every year for $100 a pop. OUCH! After 100,000 miles transmission, shelled out. $2800. Now A/C compressor locked up. $750. Very high maintenance on this van. Also has trouble with dust on auto door locks. Suspect poor engineering and will now look into higher quality vehicles. Good-by Ford, hope you do well with one less customer.