Used 2001 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Cool van but so unreliable
By Mustang Dude

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

we had this van for 8 years , it got us around the east coast of the USA quite well until after 30000 miles, the tranny went, ecu and oxygen sensors multiple times. I'm never buying a FORD again, until they fix these problems i owned a Camry for 16 years and nothing besides the normal wear and tear. Going to stick with Japanese cars for awhile sorry Ford. Except for there mustangs, mostly problem free.

adjustable pedals, keyless entry on door, independent fog lights and comfort.

transmission, electrical problems and ford service quality there so damn rude.

Great van with a few problems
By Lou

2001 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

At 83000 miles, have replaced the intake manifold gasket, $1000, and ABS unit, $600. On second set of tires. Father-in-law is a car nut and says it rides like a limo, very comfortable for long trips between Houston/Denver. Styling is nice, no paint problems. Gas mileage has consistently attained the 18/24 rating. I drive conservatively and do all maintenance, so can't explain problems others have had.

Came in handy on a remodel when I needed to transport 4'x8' sheetrock/plywood in the back of van. Forget the tent! When camping fits a full size air mattress in back with seats removed.

Looking forward to next generation with seats that fold into floorboard and new MP3 players / DVDs, GPS but that's about it.

BUY SOMETHING ELSE
By Tom

2001 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I first bought this car brand new and fully loaded it was priced $32,000. It was a waste of money because the is the worst car I've ever owned. It goes in the shop about 10 times a year. The a/c went out in the back two rows 1 1/2 years after me buying the car, the door locks dont work and doors wouldnt open($1500), the back windshield wiper feel off on freeway and it never worked, the tv vcr in the car doesnt work anymore, the speakers cut on and off in the back rows, the power seats are stuck in one position, and the check engine light never goes off! This car is horrible and I'm just going to sell it to a junk yard because its only worth $2000 now because it needs alot of repairs!

The power of the engine. Makes it easy to pass cars on interstate.

the cars not made anymore, thank god! but ford should definitely made a better mini-van! oh the gas mileage too because I get 13 mpg in city 16 on highway

Broken Axle
By jerzeetrish

2001 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had my Windstar for almost 2 years with really no troubles besides brakes and tires,when at 107,000 miles my real axle just breaks! I was driving down a highway thankfully only at 45 mph when i hear SNAP and see black smoke and hear a grinding noise and smell burning rubber. i thought it was just a tired but to my amazment when i looked under there van theres my rear axel lying on the ground. THANK GOD that i wasnt on a major highway going any faster than I was otherwise me and my 3 children might not be here today. If anyone already owns this van WATCH OUT!!! The axles are rusting from the INSIDE OUT and there is no way to tell!!!!!

comfortable seats and lots of room

better workmanship!!

Back to the imports
By pat McLaughlin

2001 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van with ~ 70,000 miles in 2005. Did well until summer of 08 with 100,00 miles, leaving the Smokie Mts.. Torque Converter gasket blew spewing trany fluid on the poor guy behind me. Must say though that I am still running on same trany, just adding fluid every couple months. But at 85,000 brake sensor lights keep coming on for no apparent reason, the control for switching A.C. to Heat is not working, and oh when my Ford van found out that I was attempting to trade it in today, it decided to start spewing coolant.

Seats are comfortable, drove nice.

If a dealer will not take in trade (in mercy)will enter it into demo derby with great delight! Ford...you have not learned your lesson. Will not buy another Ford as any car should hold up past 100K.