Used 2001 Ford Windstar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Good Van for the Price
By tommy

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Prior to this van we had another 2001 LX. We sold it with 165,000 miles. We have an SEL that has 168,200 miles Now. Sure we have had some problems, but these cars are VERY easy to repair and maintain. Forums are readily available to diagnose problems, and parts are very inexpensive. So far the car has never left us stranded. This car has a bad reputation but, it has been an overall comfortable and decent van.

Ride Height, Floaty Ride, Mirror turn indicators, leather, rear a/c, motorized sliding doors

Fold in seats, Fog Lights, Motorized trunk hatch

Bad Apple
By family van

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Moulding issue 2002 Check engine light started to come on in 2003 Wouldn’t accept gas in 2003 Rear windshield wiper motor issues started in 2002 Multiple O2 sensor repairs at $200+ each Intake manifold repaired in 2008 to fix Check engine light repair $500+ Stabilizer Bar Control Link repaired in 2009 Alternator repaired in 2009 Intermittent ABS computer hydraulics control issues Heating mechanism burned out On top of all that, the passenger side sliding door rattles Final straw...Rear Axle Cracked while family was in the car. Despite multiple issues reported online, Ford says there is no recall.

When working, comfortable ride, adjustable floor pedals, interior room

Ford should take a stand and honor its products.

Quality doesn't = American anymore
By RG

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I never owned a Ford before and I will probably never own one again. American cars are unreliable compared to Japanese brands. No big issues with the car so far, but the Engine light has gone on and supposedly it is a problem w/an oxygen sensor, spark plugs or vacuum leak. Trying to fix it yourself is impossible and Dealer wants $90 just for diagnostic! Guzzled gas before and now with sensor/leak problem it's consuming $10 a day just to drive around the corner! Not a lot of road noise, but the vehicle shakes terribly. It feels like it's going to break apart on the highway. Doors are quirky and won't unlock w/keyless when too cold. I'll buy a Japanese or Euro make at trade-in.

Leather interior, child rear view mirror, adjustable seats and gas pedal. Automatic doors.

Make it lighter, stronger, reliable and more economic in fuel mileage.

Loved my van
By Linda Studer

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our van new and it has been an excellent vehicle. The electric doors were a great feature new but after a few years they began to not work all of the time. Last year at 160000 had trouble with the break light, engine light coming on and it has stayed on. I would still be driving today at 209000 miles if I hadn't encountered a deer.

Seat belt was very comfortable. I wish all vehicles would pay attention to this feature. I also loved the indicator telling me when the pressure in the tires changed.

NO PROBLEM HERE 186 K LATER
By Steve

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Thats right I got almost 186,000 miles on my van.I won't bore you with details but I got maybe about $600 in mechanical maintenance in it.Also Needed the usual stuff (brakes ,oil changes,tires).I can tell you this much, the biggest secret that I learned from my brotherinlaw is change the transmission fluids early .These ford transmissions are delicate, needless to say I have changed the transmission fluid twice and thinking about doing it again(Yup Original Trans).It did need a small map sensor ($60) and a coil pack I think they are about $80.It has yet to get a wheel alignment still drives straight .I drive this car all over united states and I haul heavy car parts with it !

Powerful engine, good gas mpg (about 25 no load highway, heavy load still 20 mpg!) fantastic ice cold air, comfortable ride, bought at 56,000 miles and still going at 186,000 miles

Odd electrical glitches on dash board come and go like the wind. White paint defective and chips easily avoid White. Heavy seats to take in and out.