2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Never buy one again
By Rich on 01/31/09 11:48 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Engine light has been on since new. Dealer would not fix too expensive for no return they said. Piece of tape fixed problem. Never gone a day without something breaking down. Rear windows don't work, power locks do not work, rear defroster doesn't work. The list goes on. Never buy a Ford product again. Second vehicle an old Toyota no problems with it. They win my vote by by Ford. I learned a lot about my patience owning one of these. In dealership quite a lot.

Loved my Windstar
By Beth on 12/06/08 10:09 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Windstar new off the showroom floor. It did not have lots of bells & whistles but we bought it for the 5 star safety rating. We were just starting our family. It never left us stranded at the side of the road & it always started. We would have driven it til the wheels fell off but a deer had other ideas (it had 73,800 miles on it). I am very sad to see it go.

Had many Fords before but.....
By Party of 4 on 07/22/08 13:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used with 71K miles. As we drove off the lot the engine light came on. The dealership we bought it from fixed it-twice. Little things such as sliding door sticking/not unlocking, passenger door lock sticking, & the rubber between the doors come off. Now we took a vacation 700 mies away & on the way back the tranny at 82k miles literally dropped when driving up major mountains in Southern OR. I've always been happy with Ford, but not too happy on this one. Will but will buy again

Only about average, but still a good buy
By CED on 05/16/08 15:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van used and have had it about a year. No mechanical problems yet, always starts and drives fine. 3.8L V6 has plenty of power, but no sports car. Fuel mileage averages 20 mpg. Easy to drive for its size, controls are easily reached and logically laid out. Seats are average or better for comfort and the rear seats are roomy enough. Its hard to get into the rear seat, no lever that lets seats slide/tilt forward easily. Biggest complaint is noise. The engine is always loud. Ride is smooth enough but terribly loud. Wind noise also a problem. Owned a Sienna before that was much more refine as is typical for Toyota. Overall a good buy if used but otherwise performance is only average

Good for only 90,000
By mike on 05/01/08 19:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Do you notice some trends in these reviews. Mine is bad valve blowing oil and coolant everywhere. Expert Tire says it will take $680 to fix and flush refill fluids and clean it all up. Then they say the manifold and also tell me ford doesn't have parts. I will be checking this out. Why fix it? Look at all the review that follow up valve problems with blown transmissions! I have a hard time believing garage didn't see the manifold problem! Look at your price carefully! Consider these vans are great until about 90,000 and then a money pit. Expect tire and ford both rip you off! next time a Honda or Toyota it can't be any worse!

Just letting ya know
By Italian Family of 5 on 04/19/08 19:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When we first purchased the car at 80,000 miles we were very happy with it. We've taken it on one long drive from Colo to Calif with me with pnemonia (sp?) and it was confortable anyway. Now that we've owned it for 2 years we've only had to replace the ABS module, and brakes. Something weird is happening with the fuel getting down past 1/4 tank. It won't start as if it's out of gas. We just watch the fuel gage and all seems well. Drives well and we feel really safe during snow storms. Been through a couple of blizzards and only got stuck once. Tire pressure gauge is great letting us know when to get new tires or fill up the tires with air.

Second Windstar
By Trimerus on 04/13/08 15:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this Windstar new in 2001. It was our second, the first being a 2000 which we also still have. Now have 140,000 miles and have no issues with either. 23 mpg on the highway. Always starts. No repairs or tune ups have been needed, only 1 set of tires, one set of brake shoes and regular oil changes. I suspect that people who have had bad luck with Windstar have selected poor mechanics.

Good vehicle that has a few problems.
By greg7100 on 03/21/08 08:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Comfortable, flexible van that serves us very well. We enjoy the mini van experience, but have been dissapointed with some major repair issues. Many brake problems and 2 failures, transmission was replaced at 144000 km, intake gaskets need to be replaced every 90000 km at about $700 per time. No other troubles aside from usual maintenance. The van is great for trips, you just never seem to run out of storage space. Towing my little utility trailer is a dream with the Windstar, you can hardly tell it is behind you.

Good Car
By Tom on 03/15/08 14:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Well, the good thing is we bought the car used, July of last year. Since the car has been around for a while the few problems we have had, we could find the solution easily over the internet. Anyways we got the car for $2,800 and it has paid for itself 10 times over since then. It has a very comfortable ride, and it's safe. This car has given us less problems than the 07 Camry we bought last year.

Another Terrible Ford Experience
By joneill on 02/08/08 15:39 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford new and take great care of it.Several recalls then at 65K miles my rear axel cracked clean in half-rusted from inside and 1K for the fix. 3 months later the transmission died. Radiator also replaced-total 3,800 Now it is at 67K miles and took in today because radio won't turn off killing battery. Needs additional 500K for new fuse box and to patch leak. Will pick it up on Monday and take it as a trade in on a Toyota. Should have learned my lesson as my last Ford had to be towed out of my driveway at 80K. Husband's Ford needed a new engine at 55K miles. Have yet to have a good experience with Ford. I've finally learned my lesson!!