2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Good Van for the Price
By tommy on 01/19/10 19:00 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Prior to this van we had another 2001 LX. We sold it with 165,000 miles. We have an SEL that has 168,200 miles Now. Sure we have had some problems, but these cars are VERY easy to repair and maintain. Forums are readily available to diagnose problems, and parts are very inexpensive. So far the car has never left us stranded. This car has a bad reputation but, it has been an overall comfortable and decent van.

Bad Apple
By family van on 12/07/09 08:02 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Moulding issue 2002 Check engine light started to come on in 2003 WouldnÂ’t accept gas in 2003 Rear windshield wiper motor issues started in 2002 Multiple O2 sensor repairs at $200+ each Intake manifold repaired in 2008 to fix Check engine light repair $500+ Stabilizer Bar Control Link repaired in 2009 Alternator repaired in 2009 Intermittent ABS computer hydraulics control issues Heating mechanism burned out On top of all that, the passenger side sliding door rattles Final straw...Rear Axle Cracked while family was in the car. Despite multiple issues reported online, Ford says there is no recall.

Quality doesn't = American anymore
By RG on 12/06/09 11:31 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I never owned a Ford before and I will probably never own one again. American cars are unreliable compared to Japanese brands. No big issues with the car so far, but the Engine light has gone on and supposedly it is a problem w/an oxygen sensor, spark plugs or vacuum leak. Trying to fix it yourself is impossible and Dealer wants $90 just for diagnostic! Guzzled gas before and now with sensor/leak problem it's consuming $10 a day just to drive around the corner! Not a lot of road noise, but the vehicle shakes terribly. It feels like it's going to break apart on the highway. Doors are quirky and won't unlock w/keyless when too cold. I'll buy a Japanese or Euro make at trade-in.

Loved my van
By Linda Studer on 11/15/09 18:25 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our van new and it has been an excellent vehicle. The electric doors were a great feature new but after a few years they began to not work all of the time. Last year at 160000 had trouble with the break light, engine light coming on and it has stayed on. I would still be driving today at 209000 miles if I hadn't encountered a deer.

NO PROBLEM HERE 186 K LATER
By Steve on 08/27/09 20:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan LX 3dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Thats right I got almost 186,000 miles on my van.I won't bore you with details but I got maybe about $600 in mechanical maintenance in it.Also Needed the usual stuff (brakes ,oil changes,tires).I can tell you this much, the biggest secret that I learned from my brotherinlaw is change the transmission fluids early .These ford transmissions are delicate, needless to say I have changed the transmission fluid twice and thinking about doing it again(Yup Original Trans).It did need a small map sensor ($60) and a coil pack I think they are about $80.It has yet to get a wheel alignment still drives straight .I drive this car all over united states and I haul heavy car parts with it !

Cool van but so unreliable
By Mustang Dude on 08/17/09 20:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

we had this van for 8 years , it got us around the east coast of the USA quite well until after 30000 miles, the tranny went, ecu and oxygen sensors multiple times. I'm never buying a FORD again, until they fix these problems i owned a Camry for 16 years and nothing besides the normal wear and tear. Going to stick with Japanese cars for awhile sorry Ford. Except for there mustangs, mostly problem free.

Great van with a few problems
By Lou on 08/10/09 14:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

At 83000 miles, have replaced the intake manifold gasket, $1000, and ABS unit, $600. On second set of tires. Father-in-law is a car nut and says it rides like a limo, very comfortable for long trips between Houston/Denver. Styling is nice, no paint problems. Gas mileage has consistently attained the 18/24 rating. I drive conservatively and do all maintenance, so can't explain problems others have had.

BUY SOMETHING ELSE
By Tom on 05/16/09 21:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I first bought this car brand new and fully loaded it was priced $32,000. It was a waste of money because the is the worst car I've ever owned. It goes in the shop about 10 times a year. The a/c went out in the back two rows 1 1/2 years after me buying the car, the door locks dont work and doors wouldnt open($1500), the back windshield wiper feel off on freeway and it never worked, the tv vcr in the car doesnt work anymore, the speakers cut on and off in the back rows, the power seats are stuck in one position, and the check engine light never goes off! This car is horrible and I'm just going to sell it to a junk yard because its only worth $2000 now because it needs alot of repairs!

Broken Axle
By jerzeetrish on 05/11/09 06:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had my Windstar for almost 2 years with really no troubles besides brakes and tires,when at 107,000 miles my real axle just breaks! I was driving down a highway thankfully only at 45 mph when i hear SNAP and see black smoke and hear a grinding noise and smell burning rubber. i thought it was just a tired but to my amazment when i looked under there van theres my rear axel lying on the ground. THANK GOD that i wasnt on a major highway going any faster than I was otherwise me and my 3 children might not be here today. If anyone already owns this van WATCH OUT!!! The axles are rusting from the INSIDE OUT and there is no way to tell!!!!!

Back to the imports
By pat McLaughlin on 05/09/09 18:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van with ~ 70,000 miles in 2005. Did well until summer of 08 with 100,00 miles, leaving the Smokie Mts.. Torque Converter gasket blew spewing trany fluid on the poor guy behind me. Must say though that I am still running on same trany, just adding fluid every couple months. But at 85,000 brake sensor lights keep coming on for no apparent reason, the control for switching A.C. to Heat is not working, and oh when my Ford van found out that I was attempting to trade it in today, it decided to start spewing coolant.