2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
Tranny gone @ 23,000 miles
By Thomasj on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this vehicle in April 2001 for over $30,000. It was been recalled at least 5 times the first year we had it. There was a grinding noise that we asked our servicing dealer about at least 3 times and were told was normal. We were just stranded 200 miles from home returning from vacation because the transmission spewed out all it's fluid at a stop light. 3 months out of warranty but only 23k miles. A $30k vehicle that lasts less than 4 years. Roadside assistance was a joke as well, offering to give me the name of a tow company but having to charge me $70. Third generation ford family will not replace this vehicle with another Ford. Honda next time.

Quality Van
By jkak62 on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The van has plenty of power to tow or load it up with kids and stuff.We have had 3 Windstar vans and they all have been very reliable.

My 2001 Windsatr
By 65mustangken on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Lots of room and plenty of power.

Bill's Windstar SE Review
By Bill Hughes on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Windstar is a very utilitarian vehicle. It has a great safety rating and seems to be a very solidly built vehicle. The motor is quite powerful with the 3.8 V-6, however the transmission/ shifting seems to be a little rough at times. I got the 0% financing for 60 months - that helped close the deal. I am also a Ford man. I don't like most GM vehicles and I don't trust Chrysler/ Dodge reliability. (Caravans used to have a reputation for early transmission failures.)

Pleasant Surprise
By Moaner on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

With 2 boy kids we took the van plunge. A year later the SE is very satisfying. Sleeps outside and looks as good today as at delivery. Wheels are easy to clean. Oil changes are a breeze (though 5w-20 oil can be tricky to find) The van is spacious though kids will find a way to beat each other its more effort now. The van is almost too comfortable. At 6'1" #245 at least once I've wandered on a dark and quiet road. The back seat is great for waiting out kiddie parties. Downers: Unresolved whirring noise at lights (guess: power steering.) Dealer couldn't or wouldn't fix it. Needs more pickup power (but then all minivans get cut off) The lady differs but to me traction control is hype.

Not good
By mkahler on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've had nothing but problems with this vehicle and the dealership. Many recalls on this vehicle. Many small exterior problems, like the edging coming off, missing caps for rear wipers. I purchased two of these at the same time.

Took another chance
By jeff on 03/08/02 14:00 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Had leased a 1999 Windstar - glad we did not buy - as we went through two transmissions - and were on our noisy third. Got an "Early Bird Termination" letter from Ford and got rid of the 1999 lemon after only 28 months of the 36 month lease and leased a new 2001 Leased another one - 2001 Windstar SE - for under $400 per month - fully loaded with leather, power sliding doors, and entertainment center.