Used 2001 Ford Windstar SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Only about average, but still a good buy
By CED

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van used and have had it about a year. No mechanical problems yet, always starts and drives fine. 3.8L V6 has plenty of power, but no sports car. Fuel mileage averages 20 mpg. Easy to drive for its size, controls are easily reached and logically laid out. Seats are average or better for comfort and the rear seats are roomy enough. Its hard to get into the rear seat, no lever that lets seats slide/tilt forward easily. Biggest complaint is noise. The engine is always loud. Ride is smooth enough but terribly loud. Wind noise also a problem. Owned a Sienna before that was much more refine as is typical for Toyota. Overall a good buy if used but otherwise performance is only average

Favorite Features

Lots of cool features like power adustable pedals, back-up sensors and "kiddy mirror" that were not readily available on other cars of its day. I don't have the power doors but wish I did, lots of Windstars have them so try an find one that does.

Suggested Improvements

This van would have been a real competitor if it had been more refined. There's a sense of implied quality when a vehicle is smooth and quiet.

Stay away from this vehicle.
By Grace

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Windstar in 2002 with 11,000 miles. We had to replace the transmission at 40,000 miles. We called Ford and they just pretty much told us too bad for you. They were trying out a new transmission and we were one of the unlucky ones. It gets horrible gas mileage and it seems to always be in the shop for the same problem. Next time it will be a Honda or Toyota for us! The Ford wind star is junk.

Favorite Features

6 cd changer.

Suggested Improvements

Customer service and fix all the mechanical things that are wrong and stand behind your product.

Lots of problems
By ng

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good van to drive when it works. I've had my Windstar for 60K miles and have experienced all kinds of problems. Recurring problems with the air intake system. The transmission gave out at 60K miles. I was told there are serious design flaws in both the air intake system and transmission. Power rear doors and power locks stick. The power steering pump gave out. Never again!

Favorite Features

Good looking. Nice to drive when it works. Plenty of space.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the mechanical flaws. Add an external antenna; my AM reception is terrible with the internal antenna.

First Van
By Phillip

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Hard to find a van with such great features and an attractive look. We looked for months to catch a great deal and what a deal we got. Bought it 5 years used and still looked brand new. Lots of power and love the easy oil changes compared to my 2001 Ford ZX2 (oil filter almost impossible to remove) that I currently own as well. Have newborn twins and a 3 year old and it fits them all nicely and the strollers and groceries as well. Overall it has impressed this Ford Man!

Favorite Features

6-disc changer, quad seating, power everything, lots of storage room, and great looking alloy rims.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, I thought a huge tank would last longer.

A Quest For Room!
By evanshill

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

After 2 weeks of grueling searches and comparison shopping..we found the Windstar to be the best value on the resale market. Let's face it, dealerships want a small fortune for someone's used high mile van! But here is semi-luxury combined with simple design. Parent friendly elements paired with style. Mostly it offers separation of our 3 children without feeling we are driving a city bus, yet there is still leg room for the 12 year old! The ride is quiet, the van handles a van.It seems only the husband feels it should handle like a sports car. I have previously owned Caravan and Aerostar (yikes!), I like the caravan for long life durability but am well pleased with my Windstar!

Favorite Features

6 CD changer, rear headphone outlets, cargo net and grocery bag holders. Doors that lock and stay locked, keypad entry, tinted windows for privacy, quad seating..it goes on and on.