2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
guess we got a good one!
By jjs on 02/11/10 10:44 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used with 18k miles on it. Now has 143,000 and runs just great. Had a transmission problem at about 55,000 miles but fixed at dealer andno further problem. Power doors don't always work, but the 3.8 burns no oil and no drips anywhere. Resale is terrible, so I'll drive it till it stops! Meanwhile, it remains a nice comfortable ride.

Good Van for the Price
By tommy on 01/19/10 19:00 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Prior to this van we had another 2001 LX. We sold it with 165,000 miles. We have an SEL that has 168,200 miles Now. Sure we have had some problems, but these cars are VERY easy to repair and maintain. Forums are readily available to diagnose problems, and parts are very inexpensive. So far the car has never left us stranded. This car has a bad reputation but, it has been an overall comfortable and decent van.

Quality doesn't = American anymore
By RG on 12/06/09 11:31 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I never owned a Ford before and I will probably never own one again. American cars are unreliable compared to Japanese brands. No big issues with the car so far, but the Engine light has gone on and supposedly it is a problem w/an oxygen sensor, spark plugs or vacuum leak. Trying to fix it yourself is impossible and Dealer wants $90 just for diagnostic! Guzzled gas before and now with sensor/leak problem it's consuming $10 a day just to drive around the corner! Not a lot of road noise, but the vehicle shakes terribly. It feels like it's going to break apart on the highway. Doors are quirky and won't unlock w/keyless when too cold. I'll buy a Japanese or Euro make at trade-in.

Great van with a few problems
By Lou on 08/10/09 14:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

At 83000 miles, have replaced the intake manifold gasket, $1000, and ABS unit, $600. On second set of tires. Father-in-law is a car nut and says it rides like a limo, very comfortable for long trips between Houston/Denver. Styling is nice, no paint problems. Gas mileage has consistently attained the 18/24 rating. I drive conservatively and do all maintenance, so can't explain problems others have had.

BUY SOMETHING ELSE
By Tom on 05/16/09 21:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I first bought this car brand new and fully loaded it was priced $32,000. It was a waste of money because the is the worst car I've ever owned. It goes in the shop about 10 times a year. The a/c went out in the back two rows 1 1/2 years after me buying the car, the door locks dont work and doors wouldnt open($1500), the back windshield wiper feel off on freeway and it never worked, the tv vcr in the car doesnt work anymore, the speakers cut on and off in the back rows, the power seats are stuck in one position, and the check engine light never goes off! This car is horrible and I'm just going to sell it to a junk yard because its only worth $2000 now because it needs alot of repairs!

Broken Axle
By jerzeetrish on 05/11/09 06:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had my Windstar for almost 2 years with really no troubles besides brakes and tires,when at 107,000 miles my real axle just breaks! I was driving down a highway thankfully only at 45 mph when i hear SNAP and see black smoke and hear a grinding noise and smell burning rubber. i thought it was just a tired but to my amazment when i looked under there van theres my rear axel lying on the ground. THANK GOD that i wasnt on a major highway going any faster than I was otherwise me and my 3 children might not be here today. If anyone already owns this van WATCH OUT!!! The axles are rusting from the INSIDE OUT and there is no way to tell!!!!!

Had many Fords before but.....
By Party of 4 on 07/22/08 13:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it used with 71K miles. As we drove off the lot the engine light came on. The dealership we bought it from fixed it-twice. Little things such as sliding door sticking/not unlocking, passenger door lock sticking, & the rubber between the doors come off. Now we took a vacation 700 mies away & on the way back the tranny at 82k miles literally dropped when driving up major mountains in Southern OR. I've always been happy with Ford, but not too happy on this one. Will but will buy again

Even Ford can't figure out whats wrong
By xFordMan on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Check engine light came on, fixed sensor for $150 at Ford dealer. Came on again in a week, had to pay for another diagnosis, but pointed again to sensor which was just repaced...dealer perplexed as to what could be worng said "its fine those lights always come on". Next ABS light and the red brake light came on together which according to the usre manual sidnals a fault in the ABS system...deal diagnosed again but could not figure out why those lights came on. This is a vehical with what could be nice features but it is not built to last. WE still owe $3600 on this beast and was hoping to have a few years w/o paymnets...I learned my lesson next time a Toyota.

Sadly disappointed
By boizmom on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Windstar we have been afflicted with. The first was a 1999 and we finally got rid of it because in the heat, the rear sliding doors would pop ajar. This new one has also had issues with the sliders ( the same issue). Now, I am finding plenty of little things going wrong. I am just tired of spending my time in the dealership. We have also discovered that the rear heating system is poorly designed. There is a vent aimed at the drivers' seat. So, when the kids are cold, but the driver is warm, too bad for the driver (or the kids)- the driver roasts while the kids still shiver.

I love my windstar!
By mommyofone on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I really love this car - we've had no problems at all with it. It's very comfortable, great for long trips. Great headroom - my husband's 6'5", and he's able to comfortably sit in his seat, doesn't have to tilt the seat back at all. I'd recommend this van to anyone. Great crash rating.