Used 2001 Ford Windstar SE Sport Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Windstar - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

happy with windstar
By massroor1969

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have ford windstar minivan and I am driving it from 2010 I naiver have any problem with it. I drive it across Canada along with towing UHALL container from Ontario to Saskatoon I really enjoy the comfort drive

Love my windstar~hate poor engineering on recent recalls~ford is handling this wrong
By teh1223

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our windstar in 2002 with 14,000 miles 2nd owner. I love my minivan. It is comfortable and gets good gas mileage. works well weather I am hauling people or cargo. has 165,000 on it but in new transmission at 154,000. no other no big problems just small stuff. But now with the rear axle and the front sub frame rust problems just don't know. Ford says it is safe to drive. fix will be months. Husband who is machinist and brother mechanic says the motor mount on pass side is split. We had planned to keep this van for a couple of more years. But husband says it is gone. I have always had a ford and now it looks like I am getting a Chrysler. Yuck! Freestar is the same chasis.

Favorite Features

reliability, comfort and space, handles well in snow and rain. quad seating great. dual ac/heat controls. Engine is strong and reliable. well maintained could easily do 200,000 on engine.

Suggested Improvements

recent recall & the way ford has handled the problem. Rear axle &front subframe can't handle the salt and are rusting. design that allows the a/c water to run down on the passenger side frame in front wasn't great design. The transmission is notorious for going out around 80-100,000 miles. We watched ours and made 154k when it slipped. most people don't get that lucky. Ford should be buying me out or finding a way to fix this that replaces our problem and they should stand behind the fix more than 12 months or 12,000 miles? This says they don't think they have fixed it yet. I should have got new axle not a brace. They still aren't sure on the front and parts are months from coming.

Not bad
By trevor

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Pulled a boat back from a different province with my stepdads 01 sport. Liked it so much I bought the identical van. Other than the typical ford engineering that makes it hard to work on yourself its been a great family van. I pull trailers with it all the time and use it for road trips with the family. It gets great gas mileage,has lots of power and has no problem with the cruise set at 145km/h. I think a tranny cooler helps deal with trans problems.

Favorite Features

Power,gas mileage. Stable for towing and high speed cruiseing.

Suggested Improvements

Needs beefier suspension front and rear. Ford really needs to make their products backyard mechanic friendly

Bad Apple
By family van

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Moulding issue 2002 Check engine light started to come on in 2003 Wouldn’t accept gas in 2003 Rear windshield wiper motor issues started in 2002 Multiple O2 sensor repairs at $200+ each Intake manifold repaired in 2008 to fix Check engine light repair $500+ Stabilizer Bar Control Link repaired in 2009 Alternator repaired in 2009 Intermittent ABS computer hydraulics control issues Heating mechanism burned out On top of all that, the passenger side sliding door rattles Final straw...Rear Axle Cracked while family was in the car. Despite multiple issues reported online, Ford says there is no recall.

Favorite Features

When working, comfortable ride, adjustable floor pedals, interior room

Suggested Improvements

Ford should take a stand and honor its products.

PLEASE!!! Buy something else
By TickedOff

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

If this is Ford's idea of "quality is job one" then these should be built in China. Bought brand new, and on drive home from dealers lot fuel line came off gas tank. 1 week later both rear shocks go out (wasn't hauling anything). Had passenger sliding door seal replaced twice, as water was getting in cabin. At 37000 miles entire front rack had to be replaced (out of warranty). Have had approximately 8 sensors replaced (at $200 each). And at 70000 miles manifold gasket went out. All the while dealer and Ford say sorry but don't offer any reasonable compensation or replacement. Been driving Fords for 20 yrs... won't ever buy a Ford again!

Favorite Features

looks

Suggested Improvements

Have stuff made in USA, instead of importing and just assembling in Detroit, and maybe quality will come back. This van will break anyone of ever wanting to buy a Ford again! Should change name to "CMV" (Constant Maintenance Van) as it spends more time in shop than in garage.