2001 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
happy with windstar
By massroor1969 on 10/19/13 21:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have ford windstar minivan and I am driving it from 2010 I naiver have any problem with it. I drive it across Canada along with towing UHALL container from Ontario to Saskatoon I really enjoy the comfort drive

Love my windstar~hate poor engineering on recent recalls~ford is handling this wrong
By teh1223 on 04/10/11 20:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our windstar in 2002 with 14,000 miles 2nd owner. I love my minivan. It is comfortable and gets good gas mileage. works well weather I am hauling people or cargo. has 165,000 on it but in new transmission at 154,000. no other no big problems just small stuff. But now with the rear axle and the front sub frame rust problems just don't know. Ford says it is safe to drive. fix will be months. Husband who is machinist and brother mechanic says the motor mount on pass side is split. We had planned to keep this van for a couple of more years. But husband says it is gone. I have always had a ford and now it looks like I am getting a Chrysler. Yuck! Freestar is the same chasis.

Not bad
By trevor on 01/30/10 14:37 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Pulled a boat back from a different province with my stepdads 01 sport. Liked it so much I bought the identical van. Other than the typical ford engineering that makes it hard to work on yourself its been a great family van. I pull trailers with it all the time and use it for road trips with the family. It gets great gas mileage,has lots of power and has no problem with the cruise set at 145km/h. I think a tranny cooler helps deal with trans problems.

Bad Apple
By family van on 12/07/09 08:02 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Moulding issue 2002 Check engine light started to come on in 2003 Wouldn’t accept gas in 2003 Rear windshield wiper motor issues started in 2002 Multiple O2 sensor repairs at $200+ each Intake manifold repaired in 2008 to fix Check engine light repair $500+ Stabilizer Bar Control Link repaired in 2009 Alternator repaired in 2009 Intermittent ABS computer hydraulics control issues Heating mechanism burned out On top of all that, the passenger side sliding door rattles Final straw...Rear Axle Cracked while family was in the car. Despite multiple issues reported online, Ford says there is no recall.

PLEASE!!! Buy something else
By TickedOff on 11/27/04 23:45 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

If this is Ford's idea of "quality is job one" then these should be built in China. Bought brand new, and on drive home from dealers lot fuel line came off gas tank. 1 week later both rear shocks go out (wasn't hauling anything). Had passenger sliding door seal replaced twice, as water was getting in cabin. At 37000 miles entire front rack had to be replaced (out of warranty). Have had approximately 8 sensors replaced (at $200 each). And at 70000 miles manifold gasket went out. All the while dealer and Ford say sorry but don't offer any reasonable compensation or replacement. Been driving Fords for 20 yrs... won't ever buy a Ford again!

AWESOME
By Happy Happy on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Van to haul the family around and couldn't be happier about the purchase. Lots of room for kids and luggage. Never had any issues with engine or doors. Great with the gas mileage, handles well in ALL conditions. Use the Windstar for daily commutes as well as long trips and it does both well, feels like I'm sitting in my chair in the family room it's so comfortable.

I'msorry
By Joe consumer on 05/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The dealership replaced exhaust sensors rear hatch switches, engine sensors, reah hatch plungers, door open switches, transmission ( lost reverse & overdrive)all 4 tires went bad (broken belts)with in 2 weeks. Brake light comes on when stopping or when hand brake is released but they can not fix. Noisey ride (wind noise)

Dont by a Windstar
By Most Unhappy on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced bad sensors, bearings, switches, body side panels, transmission, window motor

Junk Burn your money first!
By Stonerat on 09/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Windstar Minivan SE Sport 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but trouble. Ford bought back my 1996 and traded me for a 2001. This Van is no better and Fords Customer Service is a joke. Dealers can fix problems and are no help in getting Ford to help. Escalating the problem higher in the ford coporation is just a waste of time. They will make will try to convince you that the failed to please only in your case. Make your life simple Stay away from Windstars!